Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the wife's approval to consider a bike, but just got her to okay the funds for it today. I've been lurking here on the site, and now its go time with the registration.

I was very close to owning a bike 4-5 years ago right before I met my eventual wife. Ended up buying a new car instead. I'm a Honda only type of person so far anyway @ 28 yrs old. I have owned many Honda cars from an Accord to a Fit. I had an S2000 before the she got pregnant, and traded it in on a Mugen Si once we found out this spring. The Mugen Si is nice for having 4 doors and really doesn't miss a beat performance wise compare to the s2k (for my purposes at least), but giving up the S2k put me back into I need a bike mode. I just love the open air on a nice day...

As a kid I had a '71 mini trail 50. When I began looking at bikes I was considering old cb's. The more I thought about the costs of restoring and the age of the important safety components; the more a brand new bike like the CBR250R began to make sense to me.

I wasn't too keen on the idea on a 250 before the CBR came out because I was afraid I'd get bored with em. Now that I'm a little older than I was the last time I was considering a bike I actually have some common sense (i think), and honestly that sniper guy's videos make it so clear that the bike is much more capable than I'll be able or care to experience anytime soon. I also have a son on the way, and boy does that change the perspectives a bit. I am confident this bike will be a great bike to start with, but also will keep me happy a long time.

Anyway this is going all over the place. Happy to be here and hope to have the bike in 1-2 weeks. Planning to take it out on milder winter days to familiarize myself by riding slow around the neighborhood. Hopefully will be able to enjoy normal riding by the time Spring rolls around.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congrats on everything, your new baby, and of course your new to be bike. You will enjoy this bike. its an awesome little thing. Handles great, great on gas and loads of fun while riding. 14 yrs of riding experience and owner of 2 1000cc bikes and a 600cc and still look forward to hop on my wifes 250. I steal it from the garage all the time to putter around, I love that thing. Trust me you will not get bored.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Baby is due Dec. 23, but I have a feeling it'll be sooner. She's getting huge.

The last tough consideration is whether to go for red or black... I like the character of the red, but the salesman I've spoken with says black would be easier to resell (if it ever came to that). I don't anticipate reselling a bike like this... I guess maybe I found my answer, lol.

Also, who knows, the salesmen could've just been making small talk..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow you can almost name your baby Christmas lol, JK. Just go with whatever color you like the most, after all its your bike. Who cares what the resale value is. A color is not a deal breaker when its time to sell, specially on a high demand bike like this one. Just make sure that you are happy with whatever you decide to spend your money on, red or black, they are both beautiful machines. Ours is back, stealth black cause I cant wait to take it to the track and show all there 600's how its done with a 250, embarrass them and their more capable bikes. Its all about the rider.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you're expecting 2 babies, how exciting:D You'll enjoy the 250. Post pics of both of your bundles of joy when you can.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
may2nd, I am north of Dayton in Troy. I will probably use the bike to get between Troy and NW Columbus on the backroads this summer for work and take the fuel savings to the bank.

Got the bike today. I really lucked out on the weather, and got to drive it home. That trip was about 30 miles. When I got home I took a small break, and then couldn't resist going back out. Ended up with 66 miles today. Hoping to add more if tomorrow stays dry like it should. Weather was sunny in the mid to hi 50's today. It was a little gusty at times.

I found shifting to be much easier to adapt to than I worried. Braking went well and I don't see how someone would have to learn to use the front brake. It felt so natural to me.. Bike is just really smooth, and I just hope my wife doesn't get jealous if I start spending lots of attention on it, lol.

One thing I could work on is turning. The idea of pushing the arm on the side of the direction I want to turn seems counter-intuitive to me, but I see how it makes leaning possible. I think I need to lean more. I could be more stable on slower turns as well. I imagine a MSF course will go a long way towards helping me.

Ohio MSF enrollment opens on Feb 6, so I'll enroll for one of those as soon as possible! Can't wait for winter to come and go...

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Your wifes's a saint:D

·
Registered
636 Posts
may2nd, I am north of Dayton in Troy. I will probably use the bike to get between Troy and NW Columbus on the backroads this summer for work and take the fuel savings to the bank.

Got the bike today. I really lucked out on the weather, and got to drive it home. That trip was about 30 miles. When I got home I took a small break, and then couldn't resist going back out. Ended up with 66 miles today. Hoping to add more if tomorrow stays dry like it should. Weather was sunny in the mid to hi 50's today. It was a little gusty at times.

I found shifting to be much easier to adapt to than I worried. Braking went well and I don't see how someone would have to learn to use the front brake. It felt so natural to me.. Bike is just really smooth, and I just hope my wife doesn't get jealous if I start spending lots of attention on it, lol.

One thing I could work on is turning. The idea of pushing the arm on the side of the direction I want to turn seems counter-intuitive to me, but I see how it makes leaning possible. I think I need to lean more. I could be more stable on slower turns as well. I imagine a MSF course will go a long way towards helping me.

Ohio MSF enrollment opens on Feb 6, so I'll enroll for one of those as soon as possible! Can't wait for winter to come and go...
sounds framiliar! i hung ourt in the garage for quite a while this summer with my new cee bee.. Im glad to hear you got your moto!! i too need to sigtn up for the course for next spring..the counter steer ing thing is a little wierd at first, but if you have a sizeable lot near you its a good riding tool. once again congrats on the new bike!!:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I might just do a lot of slow laps around the block here at home. Overall, what a great first bike. The fact I could go from not having any legitimate riding experience to 66 miles the first day really is telling of how new rider friendly this bike is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts