Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
My 5k rattle goes away at 8k, so I just keep it revved up, baby! ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Even I have this peculiar sound coming from 5k rpm onwards. It sounds like two thin sheets of metal plates rattling into each other...more like a clattering sound. It starts at 5000 rpm and goes away after 6500 rpm. Surprisingly it doesn't sound if I rev the bike stationary at similar rpms...its only while riding. The problem is while touring, I generally cruise at 100 kph and that happens at these rpms...so its kinda irritating to hear that clatter. Not sure where the problem is.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Even I have this peculiar sound coming from 5k rpm onwards. It sounds like two thin sheets of metal plates rattling into each other...more like a clattering sound. It starts at 5000 rpm and goes away after 6500 rpm. Surprisingly it doesn't sound if I rev the bike stationary at similar rpms...its only while riding. The problem is while touring, I generally cruise at 100 kph and that happens at these rpms...so its kinda irritating to hear that clatter. Not sure where the problem is.
I've covered how to get rid of it numerous times.

Probably even in this thread. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I thought I did, but honestly I doesnt bother me. But What I was going to look into was if out bike has a pcv valve. I noticed it's actually at a certain throttlw perfentage and i can make it disapear and reappear by changing the throttle 10%. It sounds to me like when you chake a PCV valve and the little ball rattles in the housing

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Do we need 1000 of these silly threads?

Its a Honda
they dont break.

EVER.
Even I cant break em.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Makes you wonder what these noobs would say if they bought a non idiot proof learner bike like a whosang, or a megelli etc.

They pick on the worlds most indestructible new motorcycle.. and the fastest selling bike worldwide, somehow wanting to spoil theit post purchase satisfaction and they have no previous bikes to compare to.

they stall it,
they drop it,
they coast it with the clutch in and say thats the way to 'drive' ,
they jam gears,
they crash it,
they do the worst buffoonery methods of operation and maintenance
and so far Ive only heard of one that destructed (and he has not posted on the forum since)
so I'll take these 'my bike is going to break' threads with a pinch of salt and lots of humour.

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
Makes you wonder what these noobs would say if they bought a non idiot proof learner bike like a whosang, or a megelli etc.

They pick on the worlds most indestructible new motorcycle.. and the fastest selling bike worldwide, somehow wanting to spoil theit post purchase satisfaction and they have no previous bikes to compare to.

they stall it,
they drop it,
they coast it with the clutch in and say thats the way to 'drive' ,
they jam gears,
they crash it,
they do the worst buffoonery methods of operation and maintenance
and so far Ive only heard of one that destructed (and he has not posted on the forum since)
so I'll take these 'my bike is going to break' threads with a pinch of salt and lots of humour.
X2, Aufitt!!
BABY the bike, you get the RATTLE... show some sack, and ride it with authority in the power band that the motor was designed to operate in, NO RATTLE! Just the sweet sound of an engine "on the pipe". It's pretty f**king simple, really.

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
Do we need 1000 of these silly threads?

Its a Honda
they dont break.

EVER.
Even I cant break em.
As long as they continue to refuse to ride the thing in it's power band, the answer is yes, the asinine "rattle" thread will continue, along with a few other choice threads. Those of us who are on our 10th or 15th bike... What the hell do we know? Some of these noobs, just a few, with their "first bike, CBR" and their 350 forum posts think they f**king know it all.

"If I go much past 4500 rpm, something bad might happen. My fuelly average might drop 3 or 4 mpg... :eek: .... I'm a scared"

·
Registered
323 Posts
My rattle was coming from the little metal mount that the top two bolts of the display attach to. It was vibrating loose and causing a buzz at octaves of 4500 rpm. I used some permatex plastic thread lock and put some rubber o-rings beneath the screws for the windscreen. In addition I put some rubber foam over the hole just below the pointy, forward part, where the fairing loosely inserts into the headlight. No more rattle. Now I can hear the engine in all its glory for the first time! It doesn't sound too bad at all! This is actually one smooth running little machine.

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
My rattle was coming from the little metal mount that the top two bolts of the display attach to. It was vibrating loose and causing a buzz at octaves of 4500 rpm. I used some permatex plastic thread lock and put some rubber o-rings beneath the screws for the windscreen. In addition I put some rubber foam over the hole just below the pointy, forward part, where the fairing loosely inserts into the headlight. No more rattle. Now I can hear the engine in all its glory for the first time! It doesn't sound too bad at all! This is actually one smooth running little machine.
Nice work!... Sounds like you found some good practical solutions to correct the buzzing sounds emanating from the body work.

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
For those who insist that the "rattle" is internal to the motor, and that at any moment it could blow itself up to kingdom come... Good news is forthcoming!!! Honda has developed and is testing, a solution to "put to bed" once and for all this pesky rattle issue. It is... drum roll, please... a blanket. Yes indeed, a nice soft & snuggly, fully quilted blanket to wrap around the motor, to keep it quiet. Testing has shown that CBR engines wrapped in blankets are 73.0256% quieter than CBR's running around unfettered and howling at high RPM's, causing all sorts of ruckus. Honda is pleased to announce that, pending approval of the prototype blanket by the bean counter's, this great new profit center for the company will be released to the gullible... er, general public, in a wide array of pleasing colors. But wait... if you order right now Honda will throw in, at an additional charge, another rattle to replace the first rattle eliminated by the blanket, plus a spare rattle. That's right... two rattles for the price of, one slightly overpriced rattle and blanket. Order in the next ten minutes and...

Offer void where prohibited, except for Phuket, Thailand and a couple of those "stan" countries. See your local dealership (stealership in some backwater parts of the US) for details. And remember, only you can prevent enjoyment of your motorcycle.

21 - 40 of 143 Posts