Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
my bike's rattle disappeard itself

my first service was so early-450km
so did a paid service(here just 20usd) at 1900km,as i had a feel engine so smooth,and hot and hard to shift to neutral frm 2nd just after 10-15km runs..

Oil used 20w-40 as ambient temperature 42degree here.

Now the rattle vanished...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re:

Shims are steel buttons that are placed on the valve conventional engines need valve adjustments but DOCH engines have shims which needs replacement if the clearing is somehow altered.

This is a fault on part of Honda as substandard parts are there in India and also average temperatures are also high problems will be less in winters trust me.

Get the thing changed under warranty if u face problem contact me at 9831436217 will guide you

Sent from my LT26i using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Today my rattle was solved after changing the shims under warranty

Sent from my LT26i using Motorcycle.com Free App
Can you tell me what shims mean.? My mechanic here says my rattle is due to the shims buylt he didnt explain them properly..

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
'The' 5000km rattle... is that like 'The' plastidip mod?

I like 'the' single cylinder harmonics... adds character.
:)

·
Registered
706 Posts
'The' 5000km rattle... is that like 'The' plastidip mod?

I like 'the' single cylinder harmonics... adds character.
:)
No and no and no.

It's like a tin can hitting the side of engine anytime you're under full load or coasting at 5k rpm. 100% NOT harmonics. We don't need all these smartass comments... really... we don't. The dealer acknowledges the noise but says that since I had a light accident on one side (few scrapes nothing else) that it may not be a warranty concern so they can't look into it unless I'm willing to pay for the repair.

·
Registered
501 Posts
No and no and no.

It's like a tin can hitting the side of engine anytime you're under full load or coasting at 5k rpm. 100% NOT harmonics. We don't need all these smartass comments... really... we don't.
It's funny, all these "experts" who have never heard the rattle we speak of, but so quick to definitively diagnose it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Picture how a kid's bicycle sounded when he taped playing cards to his back wheel. Then replace that playing card with a piece of sheet metal. That's your sound. I'm just going to ride anyway, I'm running a 40 weight oil and it still makes the noise. I don't think viscosity is going to help anything here. I'm keeping track of all maintenance and following all schedules. If the motor blows, I'll ream Honda for everything they have to fix it. And based on the number of complaints it has, it's either not an issue and nothing will happen, or 60% of our bikes are going to blow up at nearly the same time...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Mine smoothed out a lot after putting my slip-on exhaust on.
lmao...you just cant hear the rattle anymore

and my rattle..what i hear ..may or may not be what everyone else hears...I can hear it most when im in heavy stop n go traffic in 1st or 2nd gear, high revs...but can hear it in other gears as well...general exhaust motor noise is just louder in higher gears.....its almost embarrassing actually if people are on the sidewalk as i go by...im very self conscience of it... definitively an internal engine noise....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I removed the air filter box this week, it did not solve any rattle but it sound a lot louder and I almost don't ear it. But i'd like to know what are the shims... anyone?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ok. The shims are little spacers at the end of the valve stems that you use to adjust valve clearance by using the right thickness of shim.

It is normal to hear a sound as the valves open and close. Listen to other bikes and compare... Or have someone that knows what they're doing listen to yours.

·
Registered
706 Posts
lmao...you just cant hear the rattle anymore

and my rattle..what i hear ..may or may not be what everyone else hears...I can hear it most when im in heavy stop n go traffic in 1st or 2nd gear, high revs...but can hear it in other gears as well...general exhaust motor noise is just louder in higher gears.....its almost embarrassing actually if people are on the sidewalk as i go by...im very self conscience of it... definitively an internal engine noise....
See now mine is definitely not engine noise because if it was it would react differently.

Also it's not the shim on the rocker arm either as I've already checked my clearances and the noise has always been there. Myself and the techs that have test driven it at the Honda dealer for me have agree'd that it is an external noise of something knocking around by the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the 5K-6K "rattle"/"high-frequency buzz" since I purchased the bike. Took it in for the 600 mile service today. The noise is now almost entirely gone. Although I can still hear something slightly different in the 5K-6K range, I have to put my ear up to the front of the bike to hear it, so it's very minimal.

For what it's worth, Carolina Honda in Columbia made my buzz go away. :)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Just to be clear, if a noise was "engine noise" you'd hear it right through the rev range, from tickover to redline. What people on here are hearing is harmonic vibration, probably through the fairing. Single cylinder engines vibrate, this one less than most, in fact, it's turbine smooth compared to other singles. Other bikes in the past have had this, and it's nothing to worry about. Probably just a bit annoying to perfectionists. It can be cured, usually by putting some sort of packing material between the top of the headlight and the fairing. ;)

·
Registered
403 Posts
The Ninja 650 is also known for this issue..doesn't mean anything on it so..shouldn't mean anything on this 250 either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clank at 5.5 and above

Sounds like it's inside the engine to me. I've read it's the exhaust rocker arm.
I've had my bike 4k miles. Been riding 7 years.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts