Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I rode one yesterday and actually liked the bike fairly well. Yes it is a dated design but had nice low end grunt and seems very easy to drive due to that. I liked the center stand and the really low seat even though I am fairly tall. On the highway with eyes just above the wind screen was clean air. Sitting up it was about neck and did not buffet.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Tried one out but found it very heavy and ugly. You're right it is an outdated design. Ended up buying the honda cbf 1000, which, is heavy lol but the weight is a tad more evenly distrubuted

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did think the power down low was very nice. Super easy to get going. Letting the clutch out with no gas is a nice thing. I opened it up and it had more go on top them I need or even want. The extra power for passing though us nice as well as going into intersections watching to avoid getting t-boned. I also like the torque for hills but the cbr power would likley be ok for that.

Double the power and torque. Double the trouble too.

Hard choice for me.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I had a Yamaha 400 that was my favorite bike of all time. It also had a center-stand. I miss them both. It's a shame we get no options in the 400-550cc category in this country any more. It's 250 or 600 take it or leave it while Europe and Asia get all the cool bikes.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'd take my CBR250 over a Ninja 500 any day.

I've ridden my friend's Ninja 500 and I didn't realy enjoy it that much right after riding my CBR. The CBR handles better IMO, and just feel better all around.

Have your ridden a CBR250 yet?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd take my CBR250 over a Ninja 500 any day.

I've ridden my friend's Ninja 500 and I didn't realy enjoy it that much right after riding my CBR. The CBR handles better IMO, and just feel better all around.

Have your ridden a CBR250 yet?
I am sure it does handle better. I wish the dealer had a used one so I could drive it. They don't test drive them nearby but someone mentioned that a dealer about 30 miles away might.

I think the only plus for the Ninja is torque and price. I know about the power that the CBR has as my KLX250 is a couple horsepower less with similar torque. It gets the job done but not with much left over.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
For the price of the CBR you are getting A LOT more. I'd take a pregen Ninja 250 over Ninja 500 anyday too. I dislike the 500. Just get a used Ninja 650 at that point.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the price of the CBR you are getting A LOT more. I'd take a pregen Ninja 250 over Ninja 500 anyday too. I dislike the 500. Just get a used Ninja 650 at that point.

I understand. Bikes are personal too. I did not sitting on the ninja 650. I am sure with different bars it would be ok. It is taller and overall I did not like the seat position. I felt the versys was more comfy and the inverted forks looked nice for potholes for sure.

I drove a pregen 250. It seemed ok. But the high rev nature of the bike is not great for the riding/commuting and hills in my area. Also, I really need a bike that tackles the highway well and the CBR or a 500 are more relaxed in RPM. 10k at 60-70 is a lot of RPM. I doubt the service life of a ninja 250 is as good as a CBR or 500 due to that.

Anyway, if there were more used CBRs around I would be getting one of them. If I bought new it would be ABS for sure but I really want to be very frugal and $5300 is a bit more than I really want to spend.

I am, for now, going with the 500. I found a really nice example with low miles and new tires. It will save me 1k over a used CBR and the insurance is a bit less (older bike). Gas mileage will be less so the insurance difference gets wiped. However, next year I can resell the Ninja and lose next to nothing compared to buying a new CBR.

I think the next step for me is the NC700x. I really like that bike.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
People who take care of their pregen ninja 250s well have gotten sometimes even over 100k on their engines. Most people wreck theirs before they max out their engine life.

60-70 MPH is more like 7-8k not 10k. 15T sprocket would help as well. It can do the highway. It does take some getting used to. But so would any bike if you are a new rider anyways.

The 500 doesn't have ABS. The 500 doesn't have FI. The 500 isn't worth the money you will probably have to pay for it. You can find used 650s around pretty easily for a similar price. You could find a pregen Ninja for $1500 if you look.

I still say the CBR is better all around. If you are looking to save money and actually get some value out of the purchase I would shy away form the 500.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. I drove both the Pregen 250 and the 500. I liked the torque of the 500. I felt instantly comfortable on it. As you know the 250 does not have FI or ABS either. Pregen 250's around here were a bit ragged. That is just what was on the market.

No doubt the CBR is better new bike. There just are not too many to buy used.
I have read some great review with chaining sprockets on the 500. Lumbering RPM on the highway and very good MPG.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with a Ninja 500 honestly. From what I've read they are essentially bullet proof. As long as you are ok with slightly dated technology (squishy suspension, carbs, etc.) I'm sure you will be very pleased with that bike. If you plan to upgrade in a year or two, it makes more sense to buy a used bike where you will not take much or any hit when it comes time to resell. While the CBR250R is a nice bike, I can guarantee you will lose quite a bit of $ when it comes time to trade in or sell.

·
Registered
386 Posts
See if you're able to locate a GS500F in your area before committing to the Ninja 500. They are very comparable bikes but the GS500F has wider fairings and the wider fairings makes it much nicer for highway riding IMO. I don't think you can go wrong with either bike, all of them have their pros and cons.

The only reason I didn't get a Ninja 500 personally is because I could not get over the looks of it (and could not find a GS500F), and I kept saying to myself "if i'm not sure I would want to pay for this bike, would I be able to sell it?"

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts. I drove both the Pregen 250 and the 500. I liked the torque of the 500. I felt instantly comfortable on it. As you know the 250 does not have FI or ABS either. Pregen 250's around here were a bit ragged. That is just what was on the market.

No doubt the CBR is better new bike. There just are not too many to buy used.
I have read some great review with chaining sprockets on the 500. Lumbering RPM on the highway and very good MPG.
Maybe get a CBR w/o ABS?

Maybe a leftover 2011?

I have found some very clean 250s in my area. I guess that's something that can vary quite a bit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. llory, i did look for a GS500f. There is one that is too old for my taste and then someone added a bunch of new body work to another but want a lot of money. I certainly don't think the Ninja 500 will win any beauty contests but the same bike was around (with that same look) since 94. It seems like enough people bought them that I can find one more next year :)

To me the big draw to the CBR is the FI and ABS. Without those things it has a lot less draw for me.

Honda is has targeted a different market for the bike and I like that. It is the commuter. In other countries bikes serve as horses. Dutifully performing there task day in a day out. Not requiring gobs of attention etc.

A 250 in the states is not a big draw however. Our highways and the fact that most people buy bikes as toys makes them less popular. Smaller bikes are the norm elsewhere and the 250 is actually big. A 125-150 is a pretty good size for a lot of places and very popular.

Heck one day maybe we will all be riding electric bikes. They are starting to come into there own.

For now I am happy enough riding old technology. They are not in the current brochures but have proved themselves over many many years of service. I have seen Ninja 500's with lots of miles in the forums. Some greater than 100k.

The bonus I get with not getting the latest and greatest, CBR250r, is two bikes for the same price as one new CBR. Work and play.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts