Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thank you for your feedback MotoMike. Well, if this “new” side stand should make stand the CBR250R more stable when full loaded with luggage, I would buy it. I do not feel very comfortable, when you get the impression it could fall.

By the way, I forgot to mention in my last comment: once my CBR250R fell on the left side, this direction where the side stand is. I found my bike lying on the ground, when I came back. Due to signs on the seat and bike I suppose two kids were trying to get on the bike form the right side and overturned it. Unfortunately there was some small damage on the motorcycle. The parants should pay for it, but unfortunately I didn’t find the perpetrators. I was really angry, some irresponsible people damage your stuff just because they want to have some fun.

So to all potential juvenile perpetrators of such situations: don’t touch a motorcycle if it’s not yours!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
^ Last week at work I looked through the office window to see a little kid climbing all over my bike whilst his mum, judging by her expression thought it was a heap of fun too. So I tapped on the window and kindly asked, for the kids safety if she could get her kid away from the bike. She looked at me puzzled and told me to p*ss off! Jeez, when I told her the bike weighing 165kg could fall and seriously injure her kid, she still totally didn't get it! Some people :eek:

·
Registered
999 Posts
I wonder if you could take the gyros out of a Segway and mount them on a bike in such a way to make kick stands obsolete?
Of course a successful application might make leaning in the corners a real bee-itch :D

I'm just thinking how cool it would be to have a bike that stands upright all on its own just for the sole reason of it actually being able to come to you when you call. :p

And when those pesky disrespectful kids (and grown ups) climb on the bike, it can be programmed to buck em off. *evil grin*

Very, very improbable but not impossible :)

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
question, would you park your 3 ton truck with heavy load
on top of a steep slope held only by its handbrake..
some people would, expecting a self adjusting
handbrake that made its own decisions..

thing is handbrakes do sometimes fail when
expected to conveniently override the laws
of physics.. its only a handbrake..

and its only a sidestand...

·
Registered
199 Posts
well bonnie hasn´t been around lately. let´s suppose she´s got the picture and knows how to park her cbr next to clydes high displacement stallion without ..... no let´s not go there.
again: the design has never really been improved ever sice it first came up. that´s just the way it works... none of the manufacturers or any of the marketing geezers ever saw it necessary or even possible to be improved.
to all that high tech toyz: the more power you delegate to your funny little gadgets, the less you`ll actually avail because you aren´t even used to use them any more.
ride safe

·
Registered
532 Posts
To add -- kids are also the reason I have an alarm on my bike, moreso than thieves. If someone wants to steal it then the bike will be gone, but hopefully 120dB is enough to keep little johnny and sally' off/away from my bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
^ Last week at work I looked through the office window to see a little kid climbing all over my bike whilst his mum, judging by her expression thought it was a heap of fun too. So I tapped on the window and kindly asked, for the kids safety if she could get her kid away from the bike. She looked at me puzzled and told me to p*ss off! Jeez, when I told her the bike weighing 165kg could fall and seriously injure her kid, she still totally didn't get it! Some people :eek:
No wonder kinds behave badly if parents don’t rear them!

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Some foreign tourists alight in my neck of the woods in the Rocky Mountains. They have been spotted posing on parked motorcycles taking pix and filming videos with no second thought they are trespassing. My question is "wld these same Andy Warhols let themselves into private cars, sit behind the steering wheel and take pix?" NOT!! Unless they prefer to provide the local law enforcement with proof of grand theft auto!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Back to the side stand:

Other motorcycles which are more stable on their side stands than our bike is, especially when heavily loaded, have a bigger angel between the lower part of the motorcycle and the end of the stand that touches the ground, the stand is located more sideways when swung out. Through the greater leverage the bike won’t fall over so easy to the left side, for example when kinds climb on the motorcycle. Unfortunately this leverage of the side stand is not very big on the CBR250R.

I have compered the construction of our original side stand with that mentioned in the OP, not in real but on pictures. The two side stands have the same angle, so the leverage won’t be improved. The only advantage of the accessory side stand seems to be the possibility to alter its length, in my situation, I would like to stabilize the bike when heavily loaded, that won’t help much, and if it should there are much more cost effective ways to do this, many were mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks like I'm not the only one too!

My first time riding was during the BRC course and on the first day an old GZ250 tried to take a nap on my leg as I was dismounting. The instructor said we should try not looking at the kickstand and somehow mine didn't fully extend out. It maintained a perpendicular angle to the ground and then began to fold in when I got off. Two other students and I caught it mid decent, but how embarrassing!

Getting off the CBR I always feel like the it's going to keel over. :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
my wife had this problem too, her cbr250r had been lowered and so the geometry of the kickstand was off - the bike was way to vertical (only leaning about 12 degrees off plumb). Shortening the stand will increase lean, but also brings the pivot point closer to the bike - and so doesn't really help as the CG could move past the pivot point.
The posts about little pads under the stand's foot will only exacerbate this problem (though still good ideas for soft ground - just make sure they are thin). To solve the problem with a lowered bike, the same idea will work if under the back wheel. A piece of 3/4" board increased lean to 15 degrees, probably much closer to stock ride height.
Just stick a 4X4" piece of wood or what ever in your tank bag and back the bike onto it when you park.
We're goinig to try it anyway. See if it works for you too.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
...under the back wheel. A piece of 3/4" board...back the bike onto it when you park.
I love this idea. I have noticed that the bike will sit too vertical when the rear wheel is in a depression, so your idea is to raise the rear wheel to increase the lean angle on the side stand. Excellent - I am going to try this when I find myself in "iffy" parking conditions.

Normally I will cruise around a parking lot, taking my time to find the "perfect" spot. The perfect spot is one that has a good flat surface (no dips or bumps), where the ground slopes down gently to the left and slopes down gently to the rear.

41 - 60 of 125 Posts