Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Anyone else want different mirrors?

44K views 62 replies 47 participants last post by  Sevn 
#1 · (Edited)
Love the bike. Only mod I have done is removing air filter cover and painting the heat shield black to go better with the body of my black bike.
However I really don't like the style of the mirrors! To me they look like bug antennae or something... I did a little searching and was only able to find chrome mirrors that would fit our bikes. Anyone seen or know anywhere selling replacement mirrors for the cbr yet?

#36 ·
There are probably few people as wide as I am riding on my 250, my solution, temporary or permanent, yet to be determined, was found in the automotive department at the Walmart store. The have a 2" stick on spot mirror that has the ability to rotate on the axis of itself bringing the view from deep inside to deep outside, I mounted it on the outside of the stock mirror, turned the rotating part so that I could just see my elbow on the inner part of the rotating spot mirror, which gives me, in reality, about a 60 to 70 degree view behind and to the side on both sides of the bike. Ideal, not really, but, $2 wasn't all that expensive to gain a much better view to my rear. My son-in-law is truck driver, and they use spot mirrors all the time to see cagers and bikes so they don't have to pull them out of their tires, that's how I got the idea. It's not the perfect solution, and doesn't release you from actually looking to either side before changing lanes, but it has given me a little extra vision on the sides.
I read somewhere in this forum about running between cars, ARE YOU OUT YOUR EVER LOVING MIND, legal or not, that is just a recipe for disaster!
Personal opinion

Doc

#46 ·
I read somewhere in this forum about running between cars, ARE YOU OUT YOUR EVER LOVING MIND, legal or not, that is just a recipe for disaster!
Personal opinion
that's life in Cali or you'd better get used to sitting in traffic for hours with non-stop clutching...

i'm 6'3" and find the stock mirrors work perfect. they are pretty goofy looking though and was thinking of going to bar-end type. maybe i'll try just tucking the stock ones in for a while. love to see some pics of bar-ends installed. cheers!

#37 ·
Like the mirrors on the 600rr but they don"t quite fit the 250 without some extra drilling. At this point I have a wonderful view of my armpits (which is why I groom). Not quite likeing the bar ends but it is a matter of taste:D

#38 ·
im going mirror less. I dont ride it enough to warrant mirrors and I head check religiously.

#47 · (Edited)
i wouldn't recommend that as head checking doesn't give you a clear view of what's behind. When you are stopped at the lights, unless you plan on having your head turned 180 degrees to look at cars approaching from behind, you won't be able to see them and could get rear ended where this could have been avoidable if you saw them approaching at speed prior.

Also if the police want to pull you over for whatever reason, you won't notice them behind you if they put their lights on initially and then when they eventually pull you over they will wonder why you didn't stop immediately and then most likely notice that you don't have any mirrors and book you.

Also, one of the reasons why you have to have mirrors is becuase if there is an emergency vehicle/s approaching from behind, you are relying solely on sound and they don't always put their sirens on (well in Australia at least) and you won't be able to know if they are approaching from behind until they are right up your arse trying to get past and you could hinder their path, so to sum it up...not a good idea both from a legal and safety standpoint! :)

#39 ·
I'm fine with the stock mirror. I can adjust them well enough to see behind me, but it took awhile. I'm thinking of adding little convex stickons in the corner, if I can find them small enough. I can't quite figue out how I could actually see what's behind me using bar-end mirrors unless I took my eye further off the road than I'm comfortable doing. Maybe I'm just not understanding how they're positioned, though.

#41 ·
Back from the dead..

I saw someone earlier on one of the first couple pages mention something about wishing Rizoma would make something for our bikes - and if what I saw from another thread about certain CBR 600RR's mirrors fitting our bikes, then I think we're in luck!

I found this picture on their site, and I'm going to try to re-create it:

The site says: "Above shows BS778B and Prototype Naked on Honda CBR600RR 09>"

I've contacted them to get the correct adapters, and I'll let you know how it works out.

#44 ·
I don't think CBRs stock mirrors aren't that functional, apart of being so ugly. When I'm riding and have to look on the mirrors, I still have to move my arm inward a bit to see what's behind me... I even put a small blindspot mirror on each but it just improved slightly. I have tried adjusting it many times to cope up with my riding preference but I'm still not satisfied.

#54 ·
yeah i managed to get one mirror off, but the other one i stripped the bolt and now it won't come out :eek:

but yes the mirrors and passenger footpegs and grab rails are done up very tightly and are quite hard tgo remove. Like someone else said, make sure you have the correct size allen key and try your best :)

#58 ·
I just went on Lucky Bike's website and purchased a set of 2006 cbr600rr
aftermarket mirrors, then went on ebay and bought the one inch spacers
for cbr250r mirrors. It all works really well. I had to buy the spacers because the 600's mirrors are too short and my levers were tapping the
mirrors. Once the spacers were put on it raised the mirrors nicely. Just
perfect now. Remember, the only thing of you that you should see in
your mirror would be a part of both arms in the inner most vertical part of
the mirror.

#60 ·
#61 ·
my stock mirrors work fine as designed..
no problem with clear rear/side views
or vision obstruction with arms etc..
use both pivots incl up and down
of mirrors pivots to get your view..

one thing tho, because of the design for
good viewing, they do extend out each side
a little which can result in hitting cars mirrors
when filtering between cars at stop lights etc..

alarms cagers tho, which i prefer not to do poor things,
but doesnt cause real damage as they will move
in response to being struck.. amount of friction
of main joints as assembled seems obviously
designed in for just this sort of minor impact..
all i do is then adjust them out again with my
left hand [taking care to maintain attention etc]..

so while they are a bit wide, i accept this as a design
parameter with good vision as the design imperative..
especially for novices but for all riders really..

as for riding without any mirrors, this would seem from
a lifetime of motorcycling to be not in your best interests..
i find numerous situations where i want/need to know
just where others sharing the same road spaces
are in relation to me,, when its clear to move
laterally and so on..

eg, when cars are lined up to turn right [left hand driving]
at a stoplight without right turn arrows, they tend to get
stuck there when the other side light goes red, perhaps
the first or first couple of cars getting thru..
sometimes timid drivers will just sit there and noone
gets thru.. thus i will ease up to the front of that line
on the left of the car line, more or less just in the left lane,
thus allowing cars to pass bye if they are there and want to,
to go thru the light in that lane,, so i end up at the front
but behind the front car at their side and rear, ready to
shadow them thru the light turning right..
if they dont, move, then i can still safely pass around them
and into the right turn ahead of them.. [lot of text there
for a simple technique]
thing is this is an eg of when i need to know
just what is coming up behind he in
the lane opposite..

so for me also, these mirrors work well
based on good design for function
so they 'look good' in my minds eye...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.