Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Unplug bulb and turn to release?? I can't see it being any harder then this but I have only glanced under there.

I am adamant in my opinion that the stock setup is far more superior to 98% of any other halogen setups I have seen. You guys have to realize that the yellowish light is actually better for night vision because it provides contrast, also brighter does not = better. Brighter light usually makes it even harder to see anything that's not directly in the path of your lights. It's like when you turn the lights off at night in your home. It takes a while to adjust to the dark, too bright of a headlight makes it so your eyes are useless to anything but the lighted up areas.
the bulb I put in is a 4000 kelvin bulb and is direct H4 replacement......and that is actually a tad towards the yellower side of the kelvin spectrum than the whiter vehicle industry standard norm of 4500k kelvin...it does put out higher lumens using the same wattage as stock but the light it puts out is dispersed more out to the sides and farther in front of the bike rather than just simply being brighter..

(How can that be anything but safer ?)

The position lights are purely cosmetic..they add no light to the road what so ever..the light color in them means absolutely nothing except for a way to get you more visibility from drivers in your front..in that case..brighter whiter light is exactly what you want instead of dull yellow light...im going amber because my denalis are super bright white and i run them at high during the daytime anyway

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been following this thread for a while and find it a very interesting topic. I found a link where I learned more about specs for USA bulbs. http://candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/H4_9003.pdf
I didn't know anything about the 9003 to 9004 history and tech specs. I do appreciate the need to match bulb filament to lens reflector to get the most functional output.

I am thinking I'd like to duplicate the park/turn function of the front turn signals in the position lights and then add the flush turn stalks on the fairing.

·
Registered
706 Posts
the bulb I put in is a 4000 kelvin bulb and is direct H4 replacement......and that is actually a tad towards the yellower side of the kelvin spectrum than the whiter vehicle industry standard norm of 4500k kelvin...it does put out higher lumens using the same wattage as stock but the light it puts out is dispersed more out to the sides and farther in front of the bike rather than just simply being brighter..

(How can that be anything but safer ?)

The position lights are purely cosmetic..they add no light to the road what so ever..the light color in them means absolutely nothing except for a way to get you more visibility from drivers in your front..in that case..brighter whiter light is exactly what you want instead of dull yellow light...im going amber because my denalis are super bright white and i run them at high during the daytime anyway
Thing is an H4 bulb should not change the dispersal of light. The housing is what aims the light and it counts on the bulb itself being made to very specific standards on where the filaments are lined up. Check the link the guy above me posted. So the only reason you have more wider light is because you have more lumens so the side light is more visible.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thing is an H4 bulb should not change the dispersal of light. The housing is what aims the light and it counts on the bulb itself being made to very specific standards on where the filaments are lined up. Check the link the guy above me posted. So the only reason you have more wider light is because you have more lumens so the side light is more visible.
I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE

I too read the link above and I dont see DOT on my bulb anywhere or the package it came from, so the reason I have more light wider and farther down the road ..is because the engineers who created this aftermarket bulb, did so for the purpose it would shine more light off to the sides and farther down the road by manipulating the placement of the filaments..probably by mere millimeters or even microns.

In fact, most aftermarket bulbs have disclaimers in the fine print stating they are for off road purposes only (obviously because the filaments dont conform to established DOT protocol ) lets face it..we wanted more light on the road..thats why we look for aftermarket bulbs and they know this..thats why they engineer, then market and sell them. I dont have vehicle inspections in my state...i would swap in the stock bulb if did, just for the inspection.

·
Registered
57 Posts
High/ Low HID h4 kit installed last night......way better then stock blub. love the look and the light pattern it puts out.....6k kit puts best useable light out.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Looks pretty good, definately a different look. I prefer the blueish tint to the white T10 LEDs but that is pretty nice too. Wonder how green would look?
law here says "only white or yellow lights are allowed on the front of a vehicle..only red light allowed on the rear...green would get me pulled over pretty quickly i would imagine...a bluish tint..rather than pure blue would pass i suppose

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now if you could get those to act as turn signals that would be sweet.
Agreed, that would be sweet! I'd like to do exactly that and then add Hotbodies flush led turn signals. I think those would be more visible from the side to make up for the loss of the bicycle reflectors that fell off the front forks!:D

·
Registered
321 Posts

New LED's fitted with standard headlight globe.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread...

@Aufitt can you link me to the LED's you installed please? They're exactly what I'm looking for. :thumbup:

@Anyone else, if you have a link to a good pair of LED's for the corner running lights I'm interested. I want something exactly like in Aufitt's pic above. I've already purchased the PIAA bulb (came in this morning) that spdklls linked earlier in the thread and want to get a set of the LED's to install all together. I'd prefer this route opposed to an HID kit (keeping it simple).

I've seen a bunch of cheap LED's online and I'm just not 100% committed to getting them. I want to avoid any/all possible issues ahead of time and would rather purchase a set a member can recommend from their experience. Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread...

@Aufitt can you link me to the LED's you installed please? They're exactly what I'm looking for. :thumbup:

@Anyone else, if you have a link to a good pair of LED's for the corner running lights I'm interested. I want something exactly like in Aufitt's pic above. I've already purchased the PIAA bulb (came in this morning) that spdklls linked earlier in the thread and want to get a set of the LED's to install all together. I'd prefer this route opposed to an HID kit (keeping it simple).

I've seen a bunch of cheap LED's online and I'm just not 100% committed to getting them. I want to avoid any/all possible issues ahead of time and would rather purchase a set a member can recommend from their experience. Thanks ahead of time!
There's a lot of info and pics on running lights in this thread:http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-appearance-modifications/5961-headlight-led-modification-tutorial.html

And FYI no disassembly of the fairings/etc. is required to get at either the main headlight or the running lights, so there isn't necessarily a reason to do it all together.

·
Registered
321 Posts
There's a lot of info and pics on running lights in this thread:http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-appearance-modifications/5961-headlight-led-modification-tutorial.html

And FYI no disassembly of the fairings/etc. is required to get at either the main headlight or the running lights, so there isn't necessarily a reason to do it all together.
Thanks for the link! After a lot of online research, I did find a set of LED's with good reviews that I was comfortable ordering.

I understand what you mean, but I'd prefer to do it all at once to have a fresh white set (no more yellow stock lower visibility bulbs all together). I also feel that taking off the fairing is the proper way of changing bulbs, mainly because you have room to work with and have a far less chance of damaging the bulbs and/or mis-aligning them. It also is a good time to clean/detail the inner workings too that are normally hard to get to (Honda Cleaner & Polish spray FTW).

·
Registered
49 Posts
spdkills: I am curious, what is/was the lifespan of the PIAA 70456 Xtreme White Plus H4 60/55W bulb?
Looking forward to your response!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I just installed a new Sylvania 9003 SilverStar Ultra 55/60W bulb. Exceptional brightness compared to the OEM bulb.

Replacement is much easier if the left fairing is removed.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts