Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i got my cbr250 what i really wanted was the 600RR, do u guys think it would be a good idea to upgrade to that later on down the road or is that too powerful? if the latter, any suggestions?

·
Registered
681 Posts
The 600RR is a huge upgrade from the 250. It's really a super sport bike. If you're new to riding, I'd recommend sticking with the 250 for a while. I know it's not very fast but it's a great bike to learn on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Stay on your 250 till you're wringing every last bit of speed out of it. Then upgrade. I also wanted to get a 600cc bike, but common sense prevailed and I know I made the right decision.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm actually thinking of trading up to something like a BMW G650GS. Not so much for more power - though 50 or 100 cc and maybe another 5 or 10 hp would be nice for the 65-70 mph portion of my commute. My issue is ergonomics: the stock windscreen and overall dimensions do not let me tuck into a comfortable position in protected air. Untucked at lower speeds, no problem. Around town, perfectly flickable. But I feel that the design parameters included a benchmark rider several inches shorter than me. I think I'm also coming to the conclusion that I prefer an even more upright riding position, and with my commute, that means a windscreen with even better protection.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah, I have not even had mine delivered home yet and I want a new VFR1200F!

.....j/k. I hope to have the 250R long term and learn everything I can from it.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Hope they reintroduce the CBR400.

Cannot see an inline 4 but perhaps a 400c twin.

After the success of reintroducing the 250 you never know, they might realize that the market is still here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is my long-term plan exactly. Keep the 250 for 2-3 years, buy a used CBR600RR.

As long as you respect the power and don't show off for your friends, it's a perfectly safe second bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When i got my cbr250 what i really wanted was the 600RR, do u guys think it would be a good idea to upgrade to that later on down the road or is that too powerful? if the latter, any suggestions?
If you wanted the 600RR but you went with the 250r then aesthetics play a roll, so you could always look at 600cc sportbikes that don't have the RR like the SV-650S sportbike/streetfighter look. If your thinking but that has an extra 50cc it must be faster, you would be incorrect because it doesn't have the RR (which stands for R-eally R-eally expensive insurance, I kid) and it's a V-twin instead of a inline 4. It really all boils down to personal preference and like PolyOlefin said respect power and don't show off.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Down the road.. After you have become proficient at operating a bike and such things as shifting, throttle control, steering and braking to the point that they no longer require massive amounts of your attention, attention that you can better spend on observing your surrounding, road conditions, hazards etc.., a 600RR will be fine so long as you keep a clear and mature head.

Just remember.. The throttle is a rheostat, not an on/off switch.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Depends what you are after.

If it is cheap, convenient transport, a quarter litre is all the bike many people find they need.

Quite a few experienced motorcyclists have quit their big bike, to find that there is a lot of fun to be had around town and on the byways on a smaller, more convenient machine that still has the grunt to handle a highway. They consider going down in size as an upgrade in their lifestyle...... Less can be more.

If you have the funds to spare on buying and operating a faster accelerating, higher speed plaything, and that is you buzz, go ahead and buy yourself a bit of respect from like minded others....... If you feel that is an upgrade, so be it.

Up to you really; it all depends on your point of view.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd consider an F4i 05-06 model before I considered a 600RR. It's almost as quick, the clip ons are positioned as low for a (IMHO) more rider friendly position, and that banana seat is one of the most comfortable seats of any sport bike I've been on, I liked it better than my viffer seat.

While it will have much more top speed, it's still wound up on the highway(IIRC around 6 to 6.5 K on the highway, maybe not as high as a 250), creating the most bar buzz of any bike I've ridden (typical of the 600CC inline 4's).

I prefer my 230l for running around town and to work, I'll use my bigger bikes out on the open road for longer trips.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just remember.. The throttle is a rheostat, not an on/off switch.
That's what bothers me now when I am riding 250cc. In a lot of situations I use it as on/off switch.

Thinking about getting me a 600RR next year for this reason. Motorcycle for me is a toy. I don't commute on it, just riding short rides for fun.

One thing that I worry about bigger bikes is their bigger weight. Once I rode friend's Yamaha FZ1 - i liked everything except weight. Maybe I did not get used to in in one short ride, but I did not like how it was going in slow speed twisties. And given that twisties is where I prefer riding - that makes me thinking more about whether I really want bigger bike. Because with power it will have more weight. This is actually one more reason that I don't want any 650cc bikes. They all just big and heavy. 600RR are generally more lightweight and smaller.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wish i got a used 600 instead.

Remember the people on this forum will be biased to the 250, this is not the right place to ask this question. I for one when i sell my 250 will hardly ever come back to this forum. What you want to do is find a general sports bike forum and ask this same question.

Anytime I go riding with freinds, i cant keep up and i feel embarrased. I have owned my bike for 3 months and want something bigger. Everyone has told me the same, you will out grow yours in no time and I have experiended it first hand. I too wanted a 600 and got this instead to learn and im over it!

the 600's have over 4x more HP and torque then this bike. Go riding with freinds and you will get dust blown in your face. On the highway I top out at 80 and when my friends decide to overtake a bunch of slow cars, in a matter of seconds, i'm like a pig chasing them down.

Now if you just want a commuter bike this is great, if you want to ride and go on group rides, you will outgrow this fast.

Learning to ride a bike takes a few months not years. Yes you will drop your first bike, so I say buy a USED 600 and get a new one after you get some practice.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a 600RR first, before I bought the 250R for the wifey.

They're frankly two completely different bikes. Besides looks from a long, long distance, I'd say they don't really compare at all. The 250 is actually a bunch more comfortable, as far as riding position. It's much, much easier to maneuver at low speeds.

The 600RR gets me about 40mpg most days. The 250 gets 70+.

The insurance on the 600RR is about 1800 a year. With my Stryker and 250 added on, it brings it up to 2100 a year. That alone is a huge mood killer for me.

Maintenance is a bunch easier and cheaper on the 250.

I'm a speed junky, though, so I can barely bring myself to ride the 250, for all its more economic and comfortable and safer. There's nothing like 5x the hp. The power band on the 600RR, in 6th gear, doesn't even start till you hit about 85mph, and it just pulls harder from there. The 600RR also gives me one heck of a false sense of security - it *feels* stable and nimble and fast enough to whip through traffic at insane speeds, so it's hard to work up the discipline not to do it.

What I'm trying to say here is, if you're just looking for a step up from the 250, the 600RR is probably not what you should be looking at. Unless you're insane, like me.

There's a lot of reasonable options out there that will give you more power and not forcibly remove all the sanity from your head and all the money from your wallet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wish i got a used 600 instead.

Remember the people on this forum will be biased to the 250, this is not the right place to ask this question. I for one when i sell my 250 will hardly ever come back to this forum. What you want to do is find a general sports bike forum and ask this same question.
As most sport bikes on the road are 600cc and up, asking the same question in a general sport bike forum will also get you biased answers.

Anytime I go riding with freinds, i cant keep up and i feel embarrased. I have owned my bike for 3 months and want something bigger. Everyone has told me the same, you will out grow yours in no time and I have experiended it first hand. I too wanted a 600 and got this instead to learn and im over it!

the 600's have over 4x more HP and torque then this bike. Go riding with freinds and you will get dust blown in your face. On the highway I top out at 80 and when my friends decide to overtake a bunch of slow cars, in a matter of seconds, i'm like a pig chasing them down.
Your friends sound like they just want to go fast. Which is not a bad thing in and of itself, but if you can't keep up with them on the CBR250R, then they're probably riding dangerously on public streets. There's much more to riding than outright speed. Get good at cutting through turns and ask them out for a ride in the hills. Ninja 250's regularly beat the pants off all larger bikes in the twisties, so I imagine the CBR250 is even better.

Now if you just want a commuter bike this is great, if you want to ride and go on group rides, you will outgrow this fast.
It's just fine for group rides, not so good for racing your buddies.

Learning to ride a bike takes a few months not years.
Wrong. You never stop learning.

Yes you will drop your first bike, so I say buy a USED 600 and get a new one after you get some practice.
Want a 600? Read This! - Sportbikes.net

·
Registered
999 Posts
^+1^

What Eil said.
And said very well.

P4i, You need to break that habit of of off/on with the throttle.
On our 250's it isn't so bad but on a bigger bike it's a bad, bad thing.
It upsets your suspension which affects handling (i.e. traction).

Chopping the throttle (off) mid corner will make you go wide and put a lot of weight on the front tire which could be very bad if the road is slippery.

You need to pick up a copy of Lee Park's "Total Control". In it you will find very, very good stuff on technique that applies directly to street riding.

I've been riding for 26 years and I still read that book a couple times a year (plus Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code). There is always more to learn about riding. It is never ending and is as it should be. Motorcycles are constantly evolving. We the riders must always evolve right along side them :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
^+1^

What Eil said.
And said very well.

P4i, You need to break that habit of of off/on with the throttle.
On our 250's it isn't so bad but on a bigger bike it's a bad, bad thing.
It upsets your suspension which affects handling (i.e. traction).
I know exactly what are you saying. I just stated the problem I have with throttle control on 250cc, why it gives a "bad habit" of riding with full throttle. In many (but of course not all) of situations I quickly end up with full open throttle, and i am not talking about straights. These places I am least not concerned about, knowing that its just 250cc.
There are other places, mostly uphill corners where I end up with full throttle before corner ends, or uphill straights where lower gear is already at redline while one gear up is not giving enough power.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I know what you're saying. These little 250's let you get on the gas way early in the corners. I will roll it on as fast as I can but I will be "rolling" it. Never all the way to full in one abrupt twist because I believe one must always 'practice right to do right'. Smooth is the key.

If you want to be fast, don't try to be fast. Try to be smooth. Once you achieve smooth, fast comes all on it's own. You don't have to do anything.

I'm mostly concerned about the off part. Quickly closing the throttle all at once is much worse than getting gas greedy.

Especially on an inline four like say, a 600RR. They have a lot of engine braking.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm mostly concerned about the off part.
My roll off is very smooth, because it actually gives a lot of "feedback" in a form of engine braking. But rolling on sometimes gives no feedback other than when my wrist feels that I cant roll it anymore.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts