Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off apologies about taking so long to come out with this trip report. At first I started off trying to write one big long trip report but my writing skills are below average on a good day. So I figured it would be best to write it out in chunks and answer questions along the way :).

Day 4: I start out on Day 4 because I didnt take any photos on my ride through Alabama so the trip report will be starting in Nashville Tn

So there she is my mighty steed, all two hundred and fifty cubic centimeters of thunderous fury. Just fueling up for the day in Nashville ready for the challenges of the great white north.
Before I get too far into this I'd like to give you guys my packing of list of what I took along with me

Gear:
Scorpion helmet
alpinestars artic gloves
alpinestars messenger jacket
alpinestars boots
dragon jeans

Clothes:
wind breaker
three long sleeve micro fabric running shirts
One pair of sweat pants
One pair of regular shorts
One pair of running shorts
Three pairs of socks
Three pairs of underwear

Tools
24mm wrench
12mm wrench
14mm wrench
10mm allen wrench
duct tape (a must have)
jb weld

Motorcycle gear
Tea bag with tool pouch top
two cheaply made walmart saddle bags for holding my fuel cans.
(report continued in next post)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(..continued)

So after a few hundred miles or so of riding I am now in.....

Kentucky!

I really enjoyed land between the lakes. I've been through here before on other motorcycle road trips but this is always a fun peaceful ride in the early fall after a lot of the tourist have gone home. It was a good warm up for the mark twain national forest on highway 19 in Missouri.

and speaking of missouri......

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(...continued)
The southern side of Missouri (winona and hwy 19 in paticular) was very enjoyable lots of high speed sweepers with a nice facade of green all around me. However soon the state of Missouri turned into a state of misery and the rest of my ride through was a boxing match with a rain system.
I ended up getting soaked to the bone (should've brought rain gear with me) but whatever i'm a florida boy riding in the rain is what I do 6 months out of the year anyways.

After spending a night just outside columbia using an Iron to dry off my soaked clothes it was on ward to Iowa/Nebraska

Now I have to explain I decided to cheat a little and take I-29 (interstates yuck!) north to south dekota or so that was the plan. However flooding as you can see in that second picture had me frequently detouring into and out of both Iowa and Nebraska.
Eventually I become a little annoyed by it (although the adventure was welcomed) and went straight into the middle of Nebraska and made my way north to Murdo South Dekota

Then I spent the next morning riding the badlands which are really cool.I also rode by this HUGE field of sunflowers; its stuff like that I enjoy running into on my road trips. Its like all the rock formations were just laid on top of the land. Its interesting that in such a huge flat state this little corner just suddenly pops out of nowhere.
I have to wonder what the first settlers thought of this when they first found it.

Racing through the black hills.....

and its onward to Wyoming....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(...continued)

Okay so I've got time for one more small chapter of photos then its off to bed with me (work at 8am tomorrow)

Wyoming is a state where everybody immediately thinks "yellow stone" well I learned that about 50% of the state is as flat as South Dekota (although there was still some good views). Funny enough I met a guy from a town not far from mine who was moving to Gillete Wyoming. For now I'll spare everybody pics of the flat stuff (we already got plenty of that from south dekota) so here's all the yellow stone pics.

I ended up not getting out of yellow stone until nearly 8 o clock at night. With a dead camera battery I sadly didnt capture any pics as I raced down Washburn mountain with the sunset behind me. The experience of riding up down and around those twisty mountains with the animals and scenery was almost a religious one.
As a result of getting out of yellow stone so late and with the bear tooth highway under construction I had to ride the chief joseph highway at night back to cody wyoming. Look up the road and you will realize how dangerous of a ride that is lol.

.....and a teaser for tomorrows report........

·
Registered
619 Posts
The little 250 takes America, adventure! Ah, it excites the imagination and stirs the soul. Thanks for all the wonderful pictures, fabulous!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great photos of what must have been a great adventure. I look forward to many more - and would really like to read some text on your trip. Did you keep a written log that you could share?

pj

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes fantastic pics Owl and a stunning adventure it must have been. And wow on that Chief Joseph Way at night!

Which brings me to my question for all you USA CBR'er. How bad is the animal hazard riding at night? Do Bison or Deer etc walk out onto the road? Over here riding in any bush surrounded area, or even outback scrub of a night just about anywhere across the continent is risky at best!...as in Roo's everywhere.

·
Registered
427 Posts
(...continued)
As a result of getting out of yellow stone so late and with the bear tooth highway under construction I had to ride the chief joseph highway at night back to cody wyoming. Look up the road and you will realize how dangerous of a ride that is lol.
Chief Joseph is spectacular (as is Beartooth). I don't want to hijack your ride report again, but I can supply pics of both CJH and Beartooth. We stopped at the summit of the CJH - 9000ft just as the sun was coming up. Breathtaking, especially at 28F!

I'm afraid of heights, but you don't get that sensation on the CJH. You DO on Beartooth! I almost pee'd myself and cried like a little girl breaking over the summit and looking straight down at switchbacks below.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
All that boring flat land must have soon been forgotten when you got to the interesting stuff. Going places, getting amongst them, doing things; that's what motorcycling is all about to me. Bring 'em on; inspire others.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes fantastic pics Owl and a stunning adventure it must have been. And wow on that Chief Joseph Way at night!

Which brings me to my question for all you USA CBR'er. How bad is the animal hazard riding at night? Do Bison or Deer etc walk out onto the road? Over here riding in any bush surrounded area, or even outback scrub of a night just about anywhere across the continent is risky at best!...as in Roo's everywhere.
Depends on what part of the country you are in you will find anything from alligators, rattlesnakes, deer, coyotes to bison, bears, wolves, and more. Of course this isn't limited to night riding, but you encounter animals on the road much more often at night than during the day.

Just the other day I encountered a 5 foot rattlesnake crossing the road on my way home for lunch.

·
Registered
529 Posts
All that boring flat land must have soon been forgotten when you got to the interesting stuff. Going places, getting amongst them, doing things; that's what motorcycling is all about to me. Bring 'em on; inspire others.
I thought I might feel the same way crossing west on my first trip through the Canadian prairies and Rocky Mountains. You'd expect the flat land to be dull. However, it really has a charm of its own - if you look for it. The wind on the prairies can be pretty incredible. Not boring at all. The sunsets can be absolutely stunning. Nothing dull there. The wheat fields - as they undulate with the breeze like cilia responding to sound waves on the organ of corti. Mesmerizing. The wonderfully fresh smell of cow $hit - um well.... Seeing a city emerge out over the horizon - so many miles away. Inspiring.

Mike

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I thought I might feel the same way crossing west on my first trip through the Canadian prairies and Rocky Mountains. You'd expect the flat land to be dull. However, it really has a charm of its own - if you look for it. The wind on the prairies can be pretty incredible. Not boring at all. The sunsets can be absolutely stunning. Nothing dull there. The wheat fields - as they undulate with the breeze like cilia responding to sound waves on the organ of corti. Mesmerizing. The wonderfully fresh smell of cow $hit - um well.... Seeing a city emerge out over the horizon - so many miles away. Inspiring.

Mike
I hear ya. I was hill country born and raised, but spent a good bit of time on a tractor cultivating on plains, so the romance is lost on me. I like hills..... don't let that spoil it for others though!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Fantastic pics owl, thank you for sharing. I've been contemplating take the bike out on a journey next summer and these trip reports just add fuel to that fire. Looking forward to more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
(continued..)

Right so we did the sight seeing thing in yellow stone and learned a new respect of riding mountain highways at night (read:chief joseph hwy) At this point in the adventure I'm getting road weary but Montana/glacier national park breathed some new energy into me. Alright now for the cool part...PICS!

Now for glacier national park (probably one of my favorite parks on the entire trip)

Zooming along.....

^^
The guy in this pic probably didn't realize how useful he was to be there. I think his presence gives the photo a better size perspective of just how epic the scenery is.

Everything was going smooth and fast until......

Construction......No big deal I'm patient it just gave me more time to take photos and the gravel riding was good practice.

and then canada shows up.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
That was an awesome trip report Owl. Please give us some more info on how you did on the bike and how the bike did.( mileage, vibration, wind protection, comfort, seat time, speed, etc...) My wife and I are contemplating some trips and I'm wondering how the 250 would do on such a long ride. She's so comfortable on her's I'd hate for her to change just for a bigger motor.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts