Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Arctic Circle Journey (USA Southeast / Midwestern states)

41K views 75 replies 37 participants last post by  JMS 
(...continued)
As a result of getting out of yellow stone so late and with the bear tooth highway under construction I had to ride the chief joseph highway at night back to cody wyoming. Look up the road and you will realize how dangerous of a ride that is lol.
Chief Joseph is spectacular (as is Beartooth). I don't want to hijack your ride report again, but I can supply pics of both CJH and Beartooth. We stopped at the summit of the CJH - 9000ft just as the sun was coming up. Breathtaking, especially at 28F!

I'm afraid of heights, but you don't get that sensation on the CJH. You DO on Beartooth! I almost pee'd myself and cried like a little girl breaking over the summit and looking straight down at switchbacks below.

I am planning a more permanent side case hard luggage for use on my next big road trip. I would like to go to the southern tip of south america next and I really think the little cbr is the ideal bike for it.
Tierra Del Fuego on a CBR. Ride the Darien Gap and laugh at those GS riding wannabe's!

Seriously though, a tip of the hat to you and a high five. Epic journey on a small bike. I'm jonesing for a set of hard bags for the CBR. Somebody posted a pic form Thailand of a CBR with a set of Givi V35's on it. It looks awesome! So much so that I'm considering fabbing up a set to my bike. But I'll wait over the winter to see if anybody else comes up with a kit.

I'd shy away of a top case on the CBR. My Givi (V46) is VERY noticeable on the back of a 650lb FJR areodynamically speaking (invokes a low amplitude weave at hwy speeds. Throw on a passenger or a camping gear and it goes away). I can't imagine what it'd feel like on the CBR at nearly half the weight.

For touring, hard bags are the way to go! Secure, waterproof and reliable.. I got spoiled on my FJR with it's bags.

Before the trip I switched out the stock tires for michelin pilot actives.
Hum.. I was looking at what's available in CBR sizes and found Michelin PR2's are available in CBR sizes. I've been running these on my big bike for the last 2 years and typically get 25,000 km out of them. Keep in mind the FJR absolutely EATS tires, it's typical on regular street sport bike tires to only get 5000km out of a set! It actually costs more in tires than it does in gas!

Their spendy to be sure, but I think they'd be pretty much a lifetime tire on the CBR. They handle great, stick VERY well (dual compound), are great in the rain, ride well. I pretty much guarantee when the time comes, I'll be swapping the road winners (who named those things!) for the PR2 or PR3's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.