Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who agrees with Mikey from Phuket? Are our bikes a means of transport, sport, hobby???? Let's weigh in everyone. All opinions count!! I like my bike which is a sport, hobby and means of transport....a very FUN means of transport. In my neck of the woods our track has been axed by the city...boooo! Closest track is three hundred miles away. Am I to garage my bike because its no longer a sport supported by a track?????:eek:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Strictly a weekend only, fair weather only; hobby for me. I guess an early mid life crisis- I wanted to be out riding for my upcoming 40th b-day in January.

I love cars too and nothing is ever 'just' a means of transport to me. My Mazda 3 is my daily driver and it is modded. My PT Cruiser is has become a weekend toy.

The CBR is for me to learn to ride on and then enjoy on the back roads headed towards the nearby lake on sunny weekend mornings.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Many car drivers consider taking out as many motorcyclists as they can a sport.

·
Registered
636 Posts
i see my bike as an evolution of things for me personaly. First an adventurous way of getting out and going where i need togo..its also a constant learning experience especsially this being the first bike ive put a signifigant amount of miles on..but its also a hobby in that i get to tinker on it, put on modifications if i want. And it could easily slip into a lifestyle just not yet..

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
All three

My bike is transportation and hobby and sport. The hobby part is for me, making the bike better for transportation. More versatile and able to take the place of a car more often and in more weather. Weather. Very challenging where I live. Now gear and clothing are involved. There are many cutting edge products to choose from. Some are expensive. A great helmet that won't fog up in the rain, blind me in the sun or dark, or deafen me. Some are great values like my new grip muffs which have improved my comfort and therefore, safety in cold weather below 4C and were very cheap. Being better at transporting THINGS requires a rack. Which I made- hobby. It can easily carry a 40 liter dry bag or anything else I choose to strap on the back. I brought home a pizza in my duffel bag today. With the rack taking the forward position where a passenger would sit, any loads I carry are right in my shadow. Very aero so I can transport and hyper-mile at the same time. Hyper-mile. Sport? I think so. It is the new form of street competition. I can go farther and faster and use less gas than you. A technique and technically heavy sport. And much safer and greener and more accessible than racing. The other part of hypermiling is to be out there. To be seen commuting with my bag stuffed full and in bad weather. Well, they think it is bad. I find it to be no big deal on a great bike like the CBR250R. To represent, a new way of thinking, toward a sustainable future. Crusade? Let's stick with hobby. I hope the 50 something lady on the little yellow scooter that I passed with my pizza could see how happy she made me as I gave her my friendliest wave.

·
Registered
999 Posts
My 250 is mainly transportation only.
For the last two months my 250 has been my sole means of transportation. It shall remain so for at least two more months until I can get the cage fixed.
I think it's safe to say that even once the cage is running again, the bike will be used about 97% of the time. I simply prefer two wheels over four.

My 250 is also used for sport since my daily commute is on twisty back roads and on the weekends I'll go romp around just for the sheer fun of it.

I can't say it's for hobby use though. Motorcycles have been a lifestyle rather than a hobby for me since I was old enough to get a learner's permit. I spent the first four years of my 'licensed to drive life' on a bike before I finally gave in to peer pressure (nagging gf) and got a car.

If ever I can afford to do track days I might consider my bike a hobby as well but until such a time it is commute and sport.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Right now my bike is transportation, and fun. Both at once, usually. I haven't had a car since April, actually, relying on only two-wheeled modes of transportation. I'm getting a car on Monday, but only because the road conditions won't allow for [safe] motorcycling during the winter. Temperature I can deal with; ice and snow and salt, no.

Eventually I'd like to do track days and get into racing, but right now there's no way I can afford that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
mine is my only transport however it is an addiction for me i love riding i ride rain hail or shine:) i never get dick of it
however none of my stuff stays stock for too long so its a hobby too

·
Registered
385 Posts
Weekend fair weather hobby. Hoping to get out today. In major metropolitan areas it's just too crazy out their to commute on one every day.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My car is a 1999 Maxima we bought new, then sold it to our Son in Law and bought it back this year with 140k miles. Runs like new and gets close to 30 MPG. The CBR is a way for me to get around when I don't need to carry anyone else. Averaging close to 84 MPG, I can ride it year round here when the weather permits. Rain keeps it in the garage, as well as ice, and really cold temps.

The wife drives a 2012 Kia Sorento. She has filled her gas tank 3 times in 2 months. Would have paid cash for it but they offered her an additional $500 off the price if financed, so she is going to make the minimum 3 payments and pay it off.

I like riding a bike. I love sticking it to OPEC. Haven't even had a close call in months now.

regards
Badger

·
1,305 Posts
i'd say its my means of transport.
its a fun, don't have to be talking to anyone means of transport

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't know what it is to me really. I just bought one to have it. I ride it to work sometimes, ride it to pick up little things from the grocery store, get chinese food. It's my little scooter.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts