Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse the following rant!:D

Many dealers are ripping people off. I called two dealers which has adds on cycletrader.. One of them for $3690... I called them and they had no idea what the actual price was going to be.. They listed the bike for $3690 but actually had no idea what they were going to sell them for.

The other dealer told me to add $1200 to the price for Doc, freight and other fees. That's not including Tax, tags and license. Do the math and you are talking about $5500 out the door for a $3999 bike.

To be clear,, the fees added by dealers are in most cases pure profit. If the dealer sells a bike at MSRP.. they are already making a profit. They do not pay MSRP for the bike. A prep fee is ridicules because that's what the dealer is supposed to do.. That's part of his work to earn the profit he is charging in the first place. A DOC fee is also bogus. Again, this is the sweat equity. Filling out paper work is part of a dealers job. This is what earns them the profit.

What many dealers are really doing is passing on their cost of doing business to the customer. They are saying, "we want to make money on the bike and also make the costumer pay the dealership for the work required to complete the deal".

This is not an honest relationship. The seller has costs that are his responsibility. By simply passing on all costs on to the costumer, the dealer becomes nothing more than middleman. He is offering you no service. He is simply a middleman there to take profits.

Think about it. I have a flooring business. This equates to me giving a customer an estimate on a tile installation and then charging them a fee to deliver the tile and materials to their house and than charging an addition fee to right up the bill.

Delivering the materials and righting the bill is MY cost of doing business. That's part of my sweat equity. That's where I earn a profit.

Honda of Russellville will sell you a brand new 2011 CBR250r for $3999 NO other FEES!. I would buy one if I were not on the east coast.

This is not spam. I don't know these guys from a hole in the ground.

·
281 Posts
Do you mean Arkansas right, not arizona?
I googled the place in Arkansas. Huge Honda Powersports Dealership. When the bikes start flowing I am sure they will get their share...a little far for me to go but would make a great road trip back to the Northwest...........

·
Registered
216 Posts
No idea where that is, most dealer are scamers anyways they just want to squeeze every penny possible for your bike car of whatever you buy.

but 5000 seems very very steep before tax as well 5000 all fee's + tax in wouldn't be too much of an issue.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I bought a scooter once in a crate; took it home & assembled it myself. I paid sale tax on his wholesale price. I think he still made 4 or 5 hundred bucks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I put $500 down on a red ABS. The closest dealer wanted MSRP plus $160 documentation and $300+? for set up. I sent in price quote request to the 5 next closest dealers. Two of them emailed back that they would not charge the fees some dealers do and I could order it for MSRP. I went back to the original dealer and explained that I would like to do business with them but that I had two other dealerships who quoted me MSRP OTD (out the door). Actually it was all handled by email until I went in to sign the deposit paper work. I won't be suprised of they try to charge me more when it actually gets here but hopefully a printout of the email will suffice in getting what they promised me. Now if it would just show up. Even a non-abs so I could see it and sit on it to make the waiting less painful.

·
Registered
115 Posts
CBR-STL - I sat on one two weeks ago thinking the same as you about making the wait less painful... Well it's still painful. Maybe even more so :(

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well I guess that means it felt right to you anyway. That's some good news. What size are you and what were your impressions. My favorite ergos on any bike I have ridden are the aprilia shiver. I have a feeling the 2fiddy will be comparable to those. If they get a non abs in Monday like the dealer says (yeah right), I hope they don't leave the key in it cuz I might just take off on it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where are you located? Im in Chicago suburbs, we get jacked for everything.
Sorry hear to that madd, I am in a small Western Colorado town, I thought I would get gouged, but I think because I bought a dirtbike from the same dealer they gave me MSRP & processing fee $100.00, obviously sales tax but no freight or prep charges.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sorry hear to that madd, I am in a small Western Colorado town, I thought I would get gouged, but I think because I bought a dirtbike from the same dealer they gave me MSRP & processing fee $100.00, obviously sales tax but no freight or prep charges.
What was even worse was that my local dealer who didnt even know if they would get any CBR250's told me if they did get one in they would mark up the price, and no matter what my deposit was non refundable. Needless to say I found another dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know where this dealership is located. I don't know them personally and don't advocate doing business with anyone.

But look around! I have not purchased a brand new motorcycle in 6 years simply because I can't stand how much the stealerships lie to your face.:mad:
Get multiple quotes and pit them against each other.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts