Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my CBR250R mostly for commuting and like to ride year around and as often as I can. Even with grip heaters though, I couldn't keep my fingers and thumbs warm enough to ride much below 40. With these mits, I have left the house with the temp as low as 26 and been comfortable using my inexpensive mid-weight gloves. The mits hold the grip heaters heat in and shut out nearly all the wind. They just velcro on so if I don't need them in the afternoon, I just stow them in the saddle bag.

I found these on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Protectors-Mitts-Black/dp/B000OF91IS/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1327765528&sr=8-20

but there are probably lots of other choices.

I'm sure others are doing this but I didn't find anything via search on the forum.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
My wife bought something like this for her scooter, but didn't use them because they prohibited the use of the turn signal. Is that a problem with the mits you're using? Also, any trouble shifting or braking?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not so far. I have been using mid-weight gloves and I leave the house when it is dark so I am using the hi-lo beam, turn signals, clutch, brake - everything with no problem. I have been using them a little more than a month now; probably 20 or 30 rides. They fit the CBR250R nicely. I think they would be too small for bikes.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I use these. You can find them labeled by Tusk or Bike.it . Nice and small with a bendable metal opening. Take the screw out of the bar end weight and send it back in through the muff to hold it from blowing back and putting the brake on at highway speed. I also had to glue a piece of rubber vacuum hose around the control to keep the grip muff from actuating the kill switch from rolling the throttle off when shifting.
http://www.cbr250.net/forum/22073-post6.html

·
Registered
107 Posts
Isnt a normal person not supposed to move their forearm much when working the throttle? If so that means the mitt shouldnt hit the kill switch in that situation. I honestly do not know because I have never tried to do a throttle with my left hand and I never had a right one. the current version of the prosthesis I made to allow me to work the throttle requires more arm movement than normal, although I ordered parts to re-engineer it to minimize that.

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Looks like the thing to have if your going to be riding in the cold weather like how there so easy to get off and on

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm curious, if you ever need to rest you hand on your leg while at a red light or on long stretches do you have trouble getting it back into the mit?

I know you said you're using mid-weight gloves, but I just imagine my gloves getting caught since my hands are going to be cold and stiff. I like them though, definitely a smart purchase.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I'm curious, if you ever need to rest you hand on your leg while at a red light or on long stretches do you have trouble getting it back into the mit?

I know you said you're using mid-weight gloves, but I just imagine my gloves getting caught since my hands are going to be cold and stiff. I like them though, definitely a smart purchase.
I put my left hand in and out to wipe my visor no problem. Make sure to get a muff that has metal around the opening to hold it open.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I got a pair of these and honestly the reason why people hands get cold in 50 degree weather like some reviews say is because your hands sweat in them in turn making your hands cold. Anything above 50 and these gloves are too much. They have done great for me in cold weather.
Icon Patrol Waterproof Gloves - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

·
Registered
529 Posts
HoPMiX - I have those same gloves. They are great gloves. Out of the 4 pairs I have - those are my current "go to" gloves. The only drawback? They are NOT waterproof. I found that out during my tour on the CBR250R last year. When it started to rain - they got soaked pretty quickly while riding. I have yet to find a true waterproof glove.

Mike

·
Registered
107 Posts
+I disagree re a metal lined aperture. You should simply be familiarized with control locations, so that you reach and locate them naturally. Your ATV mitts should permit familiarized slip-in access, but should also collapse on grab, permitting emergency grip and control, like in my below image.

Ride on.
Roadkill

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put my left hand in and out to wipe my visor no problem. Make sure to get a muff that has metal around the opening to hold it open.
Fantastic! Thanks for getting back to me. I'll probably end up getting two sets, one for me and one as a gift. I know a few riders out there with cold fingers.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use my CBR250R mostly for commuting and like to ride year around and as often as I can. Even with grip heaters though, I couldn't keep my fingers and thumbs warm enough to ride much below 40. With these mits, I have left the house with the temp as low as 26 and been comfortable using my inexpensive mid-weight gloves. The mits hold the grip heaters heat in and shut out nearly all the wind. They just velcro on so if I don't need them in the afternoon, I just stow them in the saddle bag.

I found these on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Protectors-Mitts-Black/dp/B000OF91IS/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1327765528&sr=8-20

but there are probably lots of other choices.

I'm sure others are doing this but I didn't find anything via search on the forum.

I use similar mitts and recommend them. Big difference. I have learned to pinch my fingers together to get them quickly back into the mitt. Great tip about using these WITH grip heaters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts