Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Attention Arizona Riders!

I know there are a handful of riders in AZ, so lets get together for a ride!

Mt. Lemon seems to be a popular place, so lets go there. It is located in Tucson, for those who don't know.

UPDATED 9/24/13
Ride details; Saturday October 12th, leave at 10am
Start at Chevron gas station (8845 E Tanque Verde Rd, Tucson, AZ)
Ride the 29 miles to the top of Mt Lemon, ending at the Sawmill Run Restaurant for lunch/regroup. There is a stopping point about mid-way through the ride at a scenic outlook area to regroup at if needed.

http://goo.gl/maps/wfg8y

Feel free to invite any other riders you know, all bikes are welcome.

For those Phoenix area riders, we can meet somewhere in the Valley and ride down to Tucson together if you want.

Post if you are interested, and feel free to PM me with anything you need.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The 5th Oct sounds good to me. I've got a buddy who's got a ninja 250 who'd like to join as well. I might have 1 more with a Suzuki cruiser who might join but not sure.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am holding our art show on the 5th of Oct. That date will not work. If a different date is chosen (and even if it is not) then you are all invited to my art show. PM for more details.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 5th Oct sounds good to me. I've got a buddy who's got a ninja 250 who'd like to join as well. I might have 1 more with a Suzuki cruiser who might join but not sure.

The more riders the better...not just 250's.

For those of us in the Phoenix area, we can find a time/place to meet up to ride down as we figure out who all is going.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am holding our art show on the 5th of Oct. That date will not work. If a different date is chosen (and even if it is not) then you are all invited to my art show. PM for more details.

I would like to get as many forum members as possible...we can do it the 28th or the 12th if those dates work better for you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Unless something last minuet comes up, either of those dates would be great.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Have we decided on a date and time yet?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just got back from riding Mt. Lemon. To all that plan on ridding on the 12th; Bring some warm cloths. We will be gong to an altitude of just under 9000 ft. It was rather chilly at the top. All the hikers were in long pants and sleeves. We are also starting to get pine cones and pine needles in the road at the top. They should not be an issue where they are. That part of the road needs to be driven slow due to congestion, but if the road is wet they can be as slippery as ice. the rest of the road is in great shape. I only came across 2 or 3 small rocks in the road and they were easy to spot from a long way out. We are not excepting any more rain so there should be no more rock of any size in the road by then. If you Phoenix guys have any questions before heading down, don't hesitate to ask. I will see you all on the 12th.

·
Registered
193 Posts
12th sounds good to me. As Rotor mentioned the mountain gets chilly. Usually 20+ degrees cooler during the day compared to the valley floor. Mid 60s to 70s is about normal for Oct. Definitely a relief from the heat, would also recommend a jacket with a wind liner and layered clothing.

I was itching to go the last couple weeks but had other priorities.

Hopefully we hear from the rest of the locals soon.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just an FYI. The local groups usually meet at the Chevron just up the street. Right before we go KSU one of us should make a sweep through there as I have invited a few others to ride with us. They may go there out of habit. Sorry about the poor grammar, I am really tired right now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Meeting at the Chevron is fine by me; the gas station I picked was just a random place close to the turn off onto the road.

Lets plan on October 12th. Leave from the Chevron @ 10am. I will update the original post with updated info.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Up date on our ride. When this was first suggested, I put out an invite to a local sports bike riding club to see if any one would like to join us. The invite was promptly ignored.... That is until today. The invite is now online and I expect will will have a taker or two. Because I had originally posted the meeting point as Super Stop. The two stations are very close to each other so I volunteer to play sweeper to make sure we all meet up before we depart. See ya'll on the 12th.
Norman

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just checking in to see if anyone in the Phx area wants to ride down to Tucson together on Saturday AM. We would need to leave around 7:45am, should be a 2 hour drive taking US-79 ( much less traffic that I-10).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rotorboy,

Is Mt. Lemmon open? I know most national forests are closed due to the Gov being childish idiots. I just cant find out if the road is open.

·
Registered
193 Posts
PHX good question. It looks like all federal campgrounds are closed. The road is open however, not sure if the rest stops/toilets are open. There is an ongoing Octoberfest this Saturday just FYI at the top in ski valley with German food/beer/festivities. Looks like 4$ for parking, not sure how much it would be for bikes. Food looks to run 6-12$ for brauts. Ive never been so cant really comment. Yelp mentions the food is the saving grace there. Only other thing we may encounter due to this fest is slightly more traffic. They need a Crackerbarrel or Ihop at the top.

I'm down to eat whatevers around, not picky. An MRE and granol
a would work :p

Hopefully someone else has more info about the closures.

I'm considering heading up to Sedona for the day tomorrow since Grand Canyon is pretty much out of the question due to .Gov. Get the family out of town for a day.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mt. Lemmon will be open. there is a "stand alone" community at the top. the government shutting that down would be the same as shutting down Phoenix. With Oktoberfest going on there will be plenty to do up there. It is always a good time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts