Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Back in the saddle

5K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  shawinigan 
#1 ·
Hi. Name's Laurie. I was born in the UK but moved to Japan about thirty years ago. Started out on bikes about forty five years back, beginning with a CB125S, following on with a Kawasaki S3 and a Suzuki GT750. Then married bliss came along, followed by kids, at with point the beloved kettle got traded in for a car.Had a brief return to biking about 25 years back with VT250. Now with the kids all grown up and the mortgage a distant memory I'm back in the saddle with a CBR250R. At least I will be when it arrives later this week. Hoping it will be all the fun I remember it was, and also hoping I can remember how to ride the darned thing. But hey, it's like riding a bike... isn't it???

#2 ·
Welcome eigo321, riding is what it is all about.

I had a period without a bike, or with only a CT110, while the kids were young. I view motorcycles as the more enjoyable transportation alternative.

#3 ·
Welcome... I have no doubt you'll have a blast on your new CBR250R.

I too started riding about 50 years ago, and you're right it is "just like riding a bike". One big difference today IMO, is that the roads are far more dangerous, what with all the distracted drivers talking & texting on their cell phones. Needless to say that back in the day we motorcyclist's didn't have that to contend with. Nowadays it seems the automobile driver who isn't using a cell phone while driving is the rare exception. Be alert out there!

#5 ·
Welcome Laurie. Shame you missed so many good riding years.
I had a very enjoyable couple of weeks in Honshu in '98 staying in Tokyo and Kyoto and touring by train and bicycle. It was a highly memorable trip and I'm quite envious of you getting to live in that country. If you've got the time, a CBR250R makes a great lightweight touring bike with good comfort and fuel range and from what I remember of my Japan trip there won't be too many places where you'd have the space to feel lacking in power.
I spent a few years importing and selling used Japanese bikes, mostly 250 traillies, but a few road bikes too to make up the numbers. One of them was the VTZ250 I ran for several years prior to getting my CBR250R. I'd love to go back to Japan and it'd be great to see a few pictures of the area you call home.

#6 ·
Many thanks for the welcome, folks. It's true that I've missed a lot of years riding but as with so many people, I guess, there are only so many things to cram into the day, and only so many things that budget will stretch to. Now I've a little leeway with both, getting back into the saddle is something I'm really looking forward too. Tell the truth, I did ponder the issue - whether I might be just a little long in the tooth, and also the safety aspect. After about six months of watching bike clips on You Tube my missus just said, "Go ahead and buy one if that's what you want. Just make sure you buy all he right gear to go with it." So I did.
I live in a small seaside town in Wakayama prefecture. Population about 30,000. Beautiful coastal road running north to south and nothing but mountains behind. There is absolutely nowhere Ill be able to open the bike right up (side from the expressway, and I see no fun in that) but lots and lots of winding roads to enjoy. And as True Faith said, if you find a pothole, you've got yourself a collector's item. And Keith, Japan is indeed a beautiful and fascinating place to live or just to visit. Glad you had the chance to visit. I'll try and post a few pictures to give you an idea. Nothing like the bustle of Tokyo or Osaka (great to visit, but not where I'd like to live). This is rural Japan.
Thanks again.

Attachments

#9 ·
Finally got to ride the thing today. About a week later than expected but worth the wait. First time on a bike in twenty years but it all came back fairly quickly. That's not to say my skills don't need an awful lot of polishing - in fact, I'm absolutely certain that they do. I shall be taking it very steady for a while.
It's a busy little bike, isn't it? My corner of Japan has lots of hills and twisty roads which means I spent a lot of time going up and down the gears, though in fairness, it has a lot more torque than I expected.
Handles well enough, though at first I felt I had to push the thing through curves. After about half an hour I tried hanging a knee and for whatever reason it immediately made a difference. We seemed to go through curves so much better. I'm really not sure what to deduce from that, other than my technique could use some work.
Only downside - if you can call it that - is that my first ride coincided with the coldest day of the winter so far. About seven degrees C and an arctic wind howling down over the mountains. Bloody freezing... but who cares? I'm back in the saddle :)

#10 ·
The CBR single is torquey as heck, which is one of the things I really love about it coming off a Ninja 250R twin.
Don't "baby" the engine. It doesn't like to be lugged, especially going up hills.
The more you ride it the quicker you'll learn that the engine loves to be up in the higher RPMs. It becomes the bike it's meant to be above 7000 rpms. You need to be consistently flirting with the redline if you want to enjoy the full potential of this bike and if you haven't hit the rev limiter at least once by now you're riding it way too conservatively.
Thrash it and your CBR will be a happy bike and will always reward you for the effort

#11 ·
Thrash it and your CBR will be a happy bike and will always reward you for the effort
With an unnecessarily higher fuel consumption... unless you want to ride sporty of course but not everybody tries to move the bike as quickly as possible (yes, I know, I should be on a cruiser with my riding style....and I'm German so I have to say "nay" anyway).:grin2:
eigo321 said:
After about half an hour I tried hanging a knee and for whatever reason it immediately made a difference. We seemed to go through curves so much better. I'm really not sure what to deduce from that, other than my technique could use some work
So you're getting the "hang off" it?>:)

#12 ·
I'm siding with Schroeder on the subject of engine revs. You need to keep them above 4000 in the higher gears to avoid a jerky ride but after 7500 the power's fading noticeably and to my mind changing up there to bring the motor back to where it's making the most torque gives a more satisfying ride than wringing it's neck for no noticeable gain.

If the temperature stays that low I'd recommend a set of heated grips.

#21 ·
Interesting to read all your comments, all of which I will take on board... but not for a while, unfortunately.
For the time being I am very much back out of the saddle. No, I haven't fallen off, though I think it's a safe bet that the previous owner did.
During my first ride out on Friday last I was concentrating on the road more than anything else. Sefty first!
Had another run out on Sunday - in much better weather - and was able to take a lot more in. First thing I noticed was that when riding in a straight line, the top yolk seemed to be pointing off to the left. Only a couple of degrees but in my book that's a few degrees too many. In fairness, the bike seemed to handle OK but it still doesn't seem right to me.
On arriving back home I had a good look around and noticed that the right hand bad had a definite bend in it. It was compensated for by the simple expedient of rotating the bar around the fork top. I'll try and post a pic if I can. Anyway, more bad news.
Finally, I switched on the ignition after dark and found that some of the console back light LEDs aren't working. By this time I'm not a happy camper.
Phoned the shop on Monday (several times). Got the impression that they weren't all that eager to help but eventually they agreed to pick the bike up and take it back for repairs. It's all left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth but I guess that's just the way it goes sometimes, especially with a used bike.
Hey ho. Christmas soon. 'Tis the season for goodwill so I will try to administer some :)

Attachments

#22 ·
That handlebar's definitely not right, although if there are no scuff marks elsewhere on the bike I'd be prepared to believe it was the result of the bike being dropped at a standstill. It'd be worth checking the fork legs for straightness and the frame for flaking paint around the headstock which could indicate a frontal impact.
The LED problem is strange. Filament bulbs are well known for failing with time but LEDs pretty much go on for ever.

#23 ·
Keith, I can't see any damage anywhere else on the bike; it's actually in very good condition with few scratches. Forks look straight enough though I guess you'd need to remove them to be sure. I came across an interesting video on You Tube that dealt with misaligned forks. In many cases it's the result of a bump - perhaps hitting a pothole - that causes the forks to twist in the yoke. Apparently it can be rectified by loosening all the bolts on the front forks bar the ones in the top yoke. Then it's a case of pumping the bars and twisting the forks until you get it all straightened up again, at which point you tighten the bolts up again. That's the theory, anyway. If anyone's interested, here's the link.

Either way, it's out of my hands for the time being. The bike went back to the shop on Saturday and I don't expect to see it again until the new year.
For now, it's Christmas Eve, and time for a mince pie.
Merry Christmas, one and all :)

#25 ·
@Shroeder
Here in Japan, Christmas definitely isn't celebrated in the same way as in traditionally Christian countries. It isn't a national holiday and though many people buy presents for the kids, eat cake and even put up a tree, it's just doesn't have the same meaning. I'd put it on a par with Halloween and Valentine's Day - another event that the Japanese have adopted purely for the fun of it.
The most important event on the Japanese holiday calendar is New Year, just a few days away! I'll have a week off and am looking forward to the break from work, time with the family and some good food and wine:)

#27 ·
@Shroeder
Here in Japan, Christmas definitely isn't celebrated in the same way as in traditionally Christian countries. It isn't a national holiday and though many people buy presents for the kids, eat cake and even put up a tree, it's just doesn't have the same meaning. I'd put it on a par with Halloween and Valentine's Day - another event that the Japanese have adopted purely for the fun of it.
The most important event on the Japanese holiday calendar is New Year, just a few days away! I'll have a week off and am looking forward to the break from work, time with the family and some good food and wine:)
I missed Japan and it's culture. Last time I went there was 4 years ago. I definitely understand why you decided to stay in Japan for good and that's my dream too. Aside from New Zealand, Japan is one of the best places to travel by bike. Fresh air, awesome scenery. Best country to grow old with.

#26 ·
A warm welcome from the other side of the word. Nevertheless, it's good to see that you're taking up something you loved eventually. I'd echo TrueFaith's comments, it's a torquey motor, but nevertheless still a sports bike which would mean she'd have to be revved eventually keep her at the boil. Ride safe!

Cheers!
VJ

Reactions: eigo321
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.