Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Backfire from the throttle body

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  RodgerMillan 
#1 ·
So my girlfriends ex-boyfriend filled my tank full of water I drained the water changed the fuel filter and when I went to start it. It started to backfire from the throttle body it has not started since and I've tried just about everything imaginable

#2 ·
So my girlfriends ex-boyfriend filled my tank full of water I drained the water changed the fuel filter and when I went to start it. It started to backfire from the throttle body it has not started since and I've tried just about everything imaginable
Hi. I think it will help if you list everything you have checked so far.

Maybe this is something as simple as replacing the battery? but since you asked about a foreign liquid that seeped into the fuel system I would add the following general comment ...

How did you decided "water"? I would suggest dismantling the entire fuel system, and rinsing and cleaning it thoroughly. In addition I would pull out the Plug and try to see if there is any suspicious deposits on it, because in some cases the engine head may needs to be opened to clean it and the valves. I hope that beyond the "cleaning" there is no further damage, or significant damage, on the other hand, the cleaning process may be costly. Do not start the engine until all cleanings have been completed, otherwise the engine may be damaged by the same obscure fluid("Water?").

Maybe you should leave such a job to a qualified mechanic?

#3 ·
With that much water it will need more than just a fuel filter change. You will probably have to remove the tank and completely drain the fuel lines. Then add dry gas, alcohol or a specialty product like STP Water Remover before adding fresh gas. Here's a general idea of what's involved, but Tamir is right...if you're not 100% comfortable doing it take it to a pro.
I have to ask, is this a CBR250R? Did he have the key? How did he get past the locking gas cap?
How To Get Water Out Of Gas Tank - Best Guide 2020 | Motormanner

#4 ·
With that much water it will need more than just a fuel filter change. You will probably have to remove the tank and completely drain the fuel lines. Then add dry gas, alcohol or a specialty product like STP Water Remover before adding fresh gas. Here's a general idea of what's involved, but Tamir is right...if you're not 100% comfortable doing it take it to a pro.
I have to ask, is this a CBR250R? Did he have the key? How did he get past the locking gas cap?
How To Get Water Out Of Gas Tank - Best Guide 2020 | Motormanner
I agree - probably still water in there.

Also wondering that...

#5 ·
Needs further disassembly. Remove for thorough cleaning with water-removing solvent:

• tank
  • fuel pump
  • fuel lines
  • fuel-rail
  • fuel-injectors

Pump may actually be damaged by water. So need to manually turn it on and measure flow-rate. Injectors will need to be pulsed with pressurised solvent pushed through. Valves & cylinders might be cleaned with some acetone squirted in intake-tract. Depending upon how much water got in there from trying to crank engine. Change oil, don't get oil filter backwards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.