Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Whatever for? I can just see someone playing Angry Birds during a commute...

The vibrations will probably play havoc with it there.

Basically you have to stop to use it. If you need GPS then there are ones made for the job.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Do they also make one for the periscope you'd need to look over it? :D
Wynne did you hear the great news?

RAM now makes a new mount for a second cylinder on the 250R! Now it will really be a fast bike.

And..... if you act now they willl throw in a set of Bose surround sound speakers with a rear view camera as a bonus. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe we should clarify your title says iPad, that's quite large for the handle bars. Only place I could think of mounting it would be under the windscreen over the gauges. Now I think there are mounts for iPod touch and iPhones. Unless like the previous post suggested if your planning on playing angry birds I might recommend something also like the arm band I use for my phone that I use for running and riding.

If you want to view your phone for navigation etc, something like this tank bag has a nice viewing window.
MotoCentric Smart Space Tank Bag - Motorcycle Tank Bags

If you really want to mount it I found this on the web.
RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.
I think your best bet would be to use the tank bag anyway, one with a larger clear plastic window to keep it out of the elements.

Forgot to mention don't you think iPad is OVERKILL. I mean you can't watch movies from netflix and stay safe. Yours eyes should be up not down. I would recommend if its for navigation get yourself an iPhone with the same functionality and smaller lighter. Save your iPad for home viewing.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
^ Excellent comment about the tank bag. This 50 year old can certainly see the benefits of a larger viewing screen for maps and such, but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't need my iPad mounted on the bars for that. Having it in a viewable tank bag pouch would be fine.

Although....if you could have the navigation displayed along with the tach, speedo, gas gauge, and odometer all on a split screen on the iPad, I could see mounting it right over the top of the gauge cluster. Is there an app for that? lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
I do not yet have a CBR250 (2012 pre-order should be soon) but my other bike I have a ram mount for a GPS (garmin zumo 550 which includes a fuel gauge). I have found that I prefer it closer to the front of the bike and higher up than a tank bag would be. This means I have to move my head less to see it, which in turn means my eyes stay on the road much more to the point I can use peripheral vision to still see the road a bit in front of me even while looking at the gps.

This is just my preference, others may be different (and the ergonomics of a sport bike are different than my other one). Try this though, look at the fuel fill cap when safe to do so while riding. See if you are comfortable doing that, if you are then looking at a map there (adjusting focus, locating where you are in relation to the map/display, etc) may not be that bad for you.

The other thing is if your phone/gps is under a vinyl sheet are you going to be able to press buttons? Having my gps near the handlebar means I can press buttons while riding, handy when using the phone proxy feature of my gps or if I wanted to get the next direction while riding (its almost impossible to type in an address while riding, I cant do it by touch alone and it takes so long considering I rescan the road between each character input).

Remember your iphone is not waterproof (my gps was before it was stolen last november :( ) Even if you do not ride in the rain there are still puddles and other things that can get on it. A tank bag can protect it and keep dirt off the display minimizing scratching.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
An I-Pad?!?!?!
Leave the f*****g thing at home and ride your motorcycle. Sheesh!
Since I have an iPad, but don't have a GPS, I may want to have the f******g thing with me when I ride. However, USING it while in motion would seem to me to be pretty dangerous (so would using a GPS, for that matter). Being able to view it conveniently when stopped, though, seems pretty practical to me and I'd rather not have to dig through a bag and pull it out every time I need to check the map.

·
Registered
323 Posts
OK, I guess I was being rude, sorry about that.
Here's my point -
With electronics you can know exactly where you are and stay connected to everything and everybody. But for me the whole point of going for a ride is to get disconnected and, with any luck, get lost.
I once stopped to ask directions from a farmer out ploughing on his tractor. He was an old guy who used to race flat-track Harleys, and his father had raced an Indian on board tracks. We had a great chat for half an hour. That never would have happened if I had had a GPS or a smartphone.
I carry a simple cell phone and a map.
But to each his own.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here's my point -
With electronics you can know exactly where you are and stay connected to everything and everybody. But for me the whole point of going for a ride is to get disconnected and, with any luck, get lost.
I once stopped to ask directions from a farmer out ploughing on his tractor. He was an old guy who used to race flat-track Harleys, and his father had raced an Indian on board tracks. We had a great chat for half an hour. That never would have happened if I had had a GPS or a smartphone.
But to each his own.
I am so with you on that. Though I usually just carry a smartphone on trips (freelancers do have fetters) I only look at it when I stop for the night and in the morning before I take off. It's great to be out there, and it's great to actually connect with people randomly (at least we think so, who knows what governs these unencumbered encounters!). I sometimes bring a thermos so I can have a hot tea, but I love dropping into all the funky little roadside stalls ("warung") in Indonesia and chatting with locals. You learn so much about where you are! At one stall I had a long chat with local highway patrol about their jobs, road conditions, people in their jurisdiction. One old lady running a rice stall, after I had finished eating and was putting my jacket on said to me "Ride carefully son!" I almost pissed myself laughing (I am 57 years old, and it has been DECADES since anyone called me son!!!). So sweet. BUt then again I could have been tweeting or facebooking instead....

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Here's my point -
But to each his own.
I'm new to the sport. I don't know if I'll use a paper map or an electronic one. I do know that I, like you, want to be disconnected from the "real world" when I ride. However, this is what I tell my golf buddies when they see me checking email on the golf course: "If I didn't check my email and voicemail while golfing, I wouldn't be able to be here on a Wednesday in the first place" As much as I want to be disconnected when on a ride, I know that technology will let me take a ride when I probably should be in my office. It will also help me know where the hell I'm going (I hope).

Don't worry..no texting, emailing, or Angry Birds while in motion. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I know that technology will let me take a ride when I probably should be in my office. :)
Can't argue with that.:)
I think I would keep it in a tankbag. It's fairly big and will probably catch the wind (or rain), and the police might hassle you about it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am a farmer who was out riding one day and some guy flagged me down to ask for directions. He wanted to talk for a half an hour about how he used to race and do other bike related stuff. I had places to be and things to do and that would never have happened if he had a gps or smartphone.

The facts are true but the intent is less than serious :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe we should clarify your title says iPad, that's quite large for the handle bars. Only place I could think of mounting it would be under the windscreen over the gauges. Now I think there are mounts for iPod touch and iPhones. Unless like the previous post suggested if your planning on playing angry birds I might recommend something also like the arm band I use for my phone that I use for running and riding.

If you want to view your phone for navigation etc, something like this tank bag has a nice viewing window.
MotoCentric Smart Space Tank Bag - Motorcycle Tank Bags

If you really want to mount it I found this on the web.
RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.
I think your best bet would be to use the tank bag anyway, one with a larger clear plastic window to keep it out of the elements.

Forgot to mention don't you think iPad is OVERKILL. I mean you can't watch movies from netflix and stay safe. Yours eyes should be up not down. I would recommend if its for navigation get yourself an iPhone with the same functionality and smaller lighter. Save your iPad for home viewing.

Thanks for all the replies including the humorous ones. Its not for angry birds or movies, it's only for GPS navigation. My iphone screen with google maps text is almost impossible to read with a quick glance from arms length due to the tiny screen dot pitch. Apple advertises the screen as a 'retina' screen capable of displaying at a finer resolution than 20/20 eyes can read- sometimes that is not a good thing. The text is just too small at arms length. Ipad has a much larger dot pitch and a quick glance at a red light can give me a position update. Here in Japan the road system is notorious, with few streetsigns; many one way streets, etc. There is sufficient clearance on the bars, but I agree now a tank bag is the best solution. I'll post pics.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am a farmer who was out riding one day and some guy flagged me down to ask for directions. He wanted to talk for a half an hour about how he used to race and do other bike related stuff. I had places to be and things to do and that would never have happened if he had a gps or smartphone.
The facts are true but the intent is less than serious :)
:p;):D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts