Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just thought I'd share what I did this weekend. First of all, I'd like to say that I don't recommend removing the bank-angle sensor. I got the bike w/o one and the harness was butchered. So until I get around to finding the right connector, a place to mount the sensor and the sensor itself, two resistors will have to do.

So, I looked at the service manual and determined that the yellow/red wire(Vcc) provides 5 +/- .25 volts. In proper working condition, the sensor should send 4 +/- .25 volts to the BAS line on the ECU when the bike is upright, if the bike is tilted, BAS should drop to ~0 V. Interestingly, the bike runs w/ no voltage connected(sensor removed), so I assume there is a connection inside the ECU that allows this, but it cause a DTC and therfore the MIL is illuminated. What that means tho, is that to get ~0V on the BAS line is you must ground it and the bike shuts off. If you connect the Vcc to the BAS line, you a different DTC.
But we want a running bike, right? And you want to know if there are real problems, so how do we get the ECU to ignore the missing BAS.?

You need to get 4V from a 5V source to get a running bike w/ no MIL. it's a simple resistor divider network. I don't know what the stock resistance is of the BAS itself, so I just took a wild and slightly educated guess and said 50K Ohms seems about right. But I didn't have quite those values so I ended up using a standard 47k Ohm resistor and a 12k Ohm resistor. Circuit looks approx like this:

********12k Ohm****BAS****47k Ohm
Vcc-----/\/\/\/-----|-----/\/\/\/-----Gnd

I hope that's reasonably legible, ignore the asterisks(*), they are just for alignment.

I don't know how much the values really matter since it's a voltage sensing circuit. Too small and you MAY overload the BAS input. Too large and the circuit might not be sensitive enough.

It's the relationship and arrangement. The resistors need to be approximately 4:1. The smaller connects between Vcc and BAS. The larger connects betwen BAS and ground.

I saw alot of posts asking the question but no real solutions, so here you go. I hope it's helpful. And I'm not responsible if you break something!

Have fun!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
50 views and no responses... just curious if the diagram made any sense?

I can also add that Vcc is the Yellow/Red, Ground is Green/White, and the BAS signal line is Red/Blue.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

I can also add that Vcc is the Yellow/Red, Ground is Green/White, and the BAS signal line is Red/Blue.
I think its more that not many people are looking to remove their bank angel sensor. I'm sure if it was a popular thing to do, it'd be a different story.

I don't think many people want to play with the electrics of the bike anyways, seems a little iffy to say the least. I guess if you know about that type of stuff its cool, but looked like another language to me. ;)

I'm sure it may help some people, but most people don't leave replies, they just take the info and leave.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indeed. I don't recommend removing it if yours is functioning, but I saw several posts around about problems and about how to disable it, but no one seemed to know what to replace it with. The answer: 2 resistors. Not knowing some basic electronics, I wouldn't recommend trying. It's not really that hard or complicate, but you probably do need to know how to read the stupid resistor color bands...

·
Registered
42 Posts
info was helpful

Jut wanted to say thanks for this info as I have a project bike and , yes, you guessed it, my Bank Angle Sensor is missing! I will either buy one second hand or put in you resistor divider network to turn off the DTC (diagnositic trouble code 5 long and 4 short flashes = 54),

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this is far after the last post, however I am concerned with the lean angle sensor. I had a crash years ago on a different bike that I ended up selling a few months ago, which ended up with no significant damage except a broken plastic piece and a broken lean angle sensor. I ended up making it most of the way home before realizing that the bike finally shut off because the sensor was too far away from the "reader" (which could have fallen away at any point making my ride useless). My logic is that in the vast majority of cases, I will be able to make it to the bike to shut it off before any major damage happens to the bike, and if I am not able to do so, I really don't care about the bike, and my priority is getting help for myself. This being said, I would like to be able to turn off the lean angle sensor so that it is not a potential issue (assuming after a wreck that I am able to keep riding the bike). Is the best option super-gluing the sensor in the vertical position like I did my previous bike, or is it better to replace the sensor with resistors?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I was under the impression that you could just jump it/connect the wires together to remove it from the system, based on what I've seen mentioned here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah, no need for complicated electronics. There is no "reader" to get data from sensor. Just a plug with 3 wires.

To disable, just disconnect bank-angle sensor. Use jumper-wire to connect terminals #1 & 2 on plug (Y/R + R/Bu) and tape in place. That's it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts