Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys.

I come in search of some guidance from you experienced cibby 250ers...

I have to preface my question with a quick "story". My road to the 'sport' of riding a motorcycle has been one rocky road and now I am at a crossroads.

You see, a year ago I decided I needed something dramatically fuel efficient, affordable and reliable to commute to work since I drove a minimum of 52 miles to work everyday and was putting huge burden on my little ol' 04 focus and wallet (gas). So I decided to buy a scooter since I was actually afraid of speed and dying on two wheels. You know that those who haven't ridden think of bikes as a death sentence (and by those I mean most moms).

So I went ahead and bought a 150cc vespa which was fun but I soon found myself literally outgrowing it FAST and taking way too long to get to work since I couldn't ride freeways, and unfortunately it had mechanical issues too so I rode it 2 weeks and it went back to the dealer and since they had to ship parts from Italy (or at least that's what they said) they took forever and I just got tired after 2 weeks cuz mind you I paid CASH for it...

One thing led to another and after almost 30 days in the shop under warranty covered issues I went in mad and furious demanding my money back under a lemon like law scenario. it was a huge hassle but I ended up having to take a deal (bureaucratic crap) and getting some money back and a '04 buell blast. the upgrade from the 150cc to 500cc was wonderful and I knew a lot about blasts and was fortunate enough to get one of those that were a hit rather than a miss.

My problem now is that a year later with a blast and its reputation and 10k miles on the clock I feel it may end up starting to have issues and also value wise I feel like every mile and day that goes buy it is worth less and less. So I've decided to trade it in but again I am restricted to a budget of around 4-5k (including the trade in of the blast) and researching the CBR 250R sounds like the dream bike except for one little concern. (and this is where you can help)

I remember how dreadful it was riding the vespa on a little highway with a speed limit of 55 because if there was even a hint of wind that thing would struggle like no other and barely hit 50, so naturally cars would go around me and look at me like saying "get of the road fool!" I actually did once exit the highway cuz it just couldn't keep up. likewise if the wind was pushing, it would actually hit it's top marked speed of 60mph...

So I guess the question is, will I have those same issues on the CBR, given that my commute now requires freeway speeds of generally 65 but sometimes a bit more, and also I live in good ol' Utah where 30mph winds are a normal occurring thing.

I feel like I am in a position to finally get the right bike, and I LOVE everything about the CBR250R. EVERYTHING, but the speed factor.

So, can anyone help? Any experiences? Advise? Or even other 5k$ larger displacement alternatives? Thanks a ton!

PS: I'm 28yo 5' 9'' 175lbs. Male

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
You are comparing 2 completely different bikes, The cbr does 100mph, your Vespa 60.

But welcome to the forum DBR

·
Registered
619 Posts
You won't have any problem cruising 70 mph on the highway. Lucky owl pointed this out, 65 is about the sweet spot. It's very usable up to about 80 for me.

It's a totally different ride from those other two bike and will probably feel a lot faster than the Blast. GL

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm about your size, maybe 5lbs. more -- I was doing 75mph yesterday on 400, in Georgia (if you're local to Atlanta, you understand that's about standard speed on 400 outside of rush hour), with plenty of room to spare... nowhere near redlining (still breaking it in), and not feeling buzzy at all...

And, that's not even where you'll have fun with the thing...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks and I do understand the bikes are different. and not comparing it to the vespa or the blast... I have read a lot of reviews and test on the CBR250 and I am quite frankly in love with the bike. but I did see a video on youtube of someone complaining that it started struggling on freeway speeds of 65 and felt he couldn't go faster. I know in the practical and real world 65 is about the speed I would generally ride on the the freeway. But the blast cruises really nice (for a mega-thumper) @75 and pulls to 80 with lots of ease, it's not until you get close to 90 that it starts to run out of breath.

I guess my fear is that I would get on the freeway on the 250 and feel (in perspective) like on the vespa.

Otherwise I am like dreaming of this bike already.

Also I have to say I had a bad experience last week at the honda dealer because they would not let me test ride the cibby without filling out paperwork... I mean, who in their right mind buys a bike without test riding? Even I got to test ride the blast before I basically had to buy it...

Regardless I am thinking of getting it this weekend at another dealer, but wanted some feedback first. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
but I did see a video on youtube of someone complaining that it started struggling on freeway speeds of 65 and felt he couldn't go faster.
Youtube is full of good information and mis-information. This board is a good source for good solid information. If you do a little search, you will find that there are a lot of people who commute on this little 250 on a daily basis. Many even achieve stellar results, in terms of performance and/or fuel effeciency.

I commute about 40 miles per day around Seattle. 60-70 is no problem at all.

Also I have to say I had a bad experience last week at the honda dealer because they would not let me test ride the cibby without filling out paperwork... I mean, who in their right mind buys a bike without test riding? Even I got to test ride the blast before I basically had to buy it...
I don't think this is anything new. I am not aware of any dealers around me that would allow test rides, except for the Ducati and other "Premium" brand dealers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The CBR will give you no problems w speed. Mine has pushed 115 even 120mph on the track w my 180 pound boyfriend riding it. The wind does however scare me a bit somedays because of the light weight of the bike but putting something other than stock tires on there will help w that.

·
Registered
501 Posts
CBR really good on freeway. 75 mile ride, at 50 to 75mph sections returned with a 20 mph head wind. was able to maintain speed limit of 70 & still had power to pass. Big hills arent a strong point with the 250 but was able to maintian speeds limits

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
the cbr will give you no problems w speed. Mine has pushed 115 even 120mph on the track w my 180 pound boyfriend riding it. The wind does however scare me a bit somedays because of the light weight of the bike but putting something other than stock tires on there will help w that.
115?

Srsly?

·
Registered
879 Posts
The last place i want to be is on the highway on a little 250 but thats just me. It will do it but to me its just working the little thing to hard. I take my 600 on the big road theres just no comparason handles it so much easier you can cruise all day no problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after your guy's input I think I really wanna go get that CBR... To be honest I truly love that bike and everything about it... I was just concerned about the top end of the engine, but then again I wouldn't do more than maybe 15 miles @ freeway speeds on a regular basis, maybe some days more than others.

Did I get the right idea about there being a shortage of any other color than the 'Honda race team' Tri-Color model??? I just went to another dealer (which was selling it @ 4200 btw) and they only had the tri-color one. I like it but I would much rather have the red/silver, black being the second option.

There's only one more dealer I could go to, otherwise I'd have to go back to the original honda place where I thought service was sub-par...

Oh well.

I would say the other bike that really caught my eye was the NC700X but it;s out of budget (and not available). I'll stick to the 250 as I need reliability!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I love the CBR. Just beware that most everybody answering the question about the power is at a "normal" elevation. Uphill, into the wind...? If my top end was 5 mph less, I might be less enthusiastic.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
"Honda's adventure-touring NC700X midsize Twin makes 51 horsepower and 46 foot-pounds of torque. A dual-clutch six-speed transmission is fitted, and fuel economy is rated at an attractive 79 miles per gallon. Bodywork has both motorcycle and scooter overtones".

WTF man? twice the horsepower and 150 lbs heavier but it averages 6 mpg better than our CBR250Rs????!! and a tourer bike as well??!! I WANT IT!! I WANT IT!! oh wait...I should have finished reading the article

"The midsize NC700X will sell for $7,299, inclusive of a $300 destination charge, and should reach dealers in early summer"

ppffttt... something else for my wish list then I guess:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Honda's adventure-touring NC700X midsize Twin makes 51 horsepower and 46 foot-pounds of torque. A dual-clutch six-speed transmission is fitted, and fuel economy is rated at an attractive 79 miles per gallon. Bodywork has both motorcycle and scooter overtones".

WTF man? twice the horsepower and 150 lbs heavier but it averages 6 mpg better than our CBR250Rs????!! and a tourer bike as well??!! I WANT IT!! I WANT IT!! oh wait...I should have finished reading the article

"The midsize NC700X will sell for $7,299, inclusive of a $300 destination charge, and should reach dealers in early summer"

ppffttt... something else for my wish list then I guess:rolleyes:
Exactly my thoughts... I think it would be my ultimate bike as it combines all I need, freeway speeds, great reliability, awesome mph... it's all around an amazing bike and the actual culprit of me doubting my blast... but the price got me and now I'm hopefully days away from the cbr250...

Maybe in a year or two I'll get it as a second bike :) maybe....

·
Registered
628 Posts
My commute to work in the morning is about 30 miles on interstate 45 from texas city to Houston. Speed limit is 65mph but i usually cruise around 75mph and end up passing more people than you would think. I have heard reviews about the 250 being iffy on the highway but if you actually use your brain and defensive driving skills, then you will not have any speed or comfort issues. I also own a 1200 '96 sportster thats alot more powerful, but riding a hardtail to work every morning is annoyingly undesireable, thus i enjoy my cbr much more on the highway.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i rode my bike nearly in all major highways here in Thailand which there are no strict rules on speed limit and even if the police catch you, you just pay 3 USD and get away with it.:)) - I love Thailand really:))
And, it is possible to run with the flow of trucks and cars here two up on 150 km per hour with no problems but you have to know the limits of your bike and need to use the top end power band of it efficiently.
Regarding cross winds or inclines, bike still have enough power and it is never shaking but keep in mind, Thailand is mostly flat and it is not excessively windy except up North.
I do not see any problems being on the highway on a cbr 250 if that is your doubt. You can buy it.
Still, you will never see the power and torque of a 500 Buell for sure to be honest.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts