Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to have or know where I can find the curriculum for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider course? I can't get into the ABATE class until spring (it sure fills up fast here!) and I want to get a head start since I am a beginner. Any help would be great!! :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am not sure exactly what you are looking for but when you do a google search using your exact phrase - motorcycle safety foundation basic rider course - there are some good links including a youtube video and a read only pdf file of the course.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
There is an excellent book titled Proficient Motorcycling The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well - by David L. Hough. It can be found on Amazon.
It's as good a self study guide as you will find anywhere. IMO, it should be on every riders must read list.
The author has served as a consultant to the MSF, the American Motorcyclist Association, the Motorcycle Riders Foundation, and numerous other motorcycle safety groups.

·
Registered
414 Posts
There is an excellent book titled Proficient Motorcycling The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well - by David L. Hough. It can be found on Amazon.
It's as good a self study guide as you will find anywhere. IMO, it should be on every riders must read list.
The author has served as a consultant to the MSF, the American Motorcyclist Association, the Motorcycle Riders Foundation, and numerous other motorcycle safety groups.
I second MotoMike's referral to Mr. Hough's book and other writings; you may also wish to Google Motorcycle Consumer News for which Mr. Hough wrote for a number of years.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I third this referral. any of Hough's books are a must for any rider. worth reading over when the snow is on the ground, too!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Exactly the book they give you when you do the test. Mine is still somewhere..

Also, With my 2013 CBR I got a book along with the owners manual that shows the different things the MSF class has you do. It shows you like where to set cones and how you're suppose to go around it and all.
So if you don't want to buy a book and just want to read different things they are going to have you do, you can find that in the other book that came in the same bag with the manual.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Exactly the book they give you when you do the test. Mine is still somewhere..

Also, With my 2013 CBR I got a book along with the owners manual that shows the different things the MSF class has you do. It shows you like where to set cones and how you're suppose to go around it and all.
So if you don't want to buy a book and just want to read different things they are going to have you do, you can find that in the other book that came in the same bag with the manual.
Arrethul, you are absolutely correct...except it seems that few owners actually read their manuals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I actually already downloaded the MSF manual and am making my way through it and have already been through both manuals that came with my bike. Because I am a beginner I am trying to read everything I can get my hands on as well as practicing every chance I get. I want to be a responsible and safe rider.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To clarify, I am really looking for material related to the skills test. I want to make sure I am proficient at the skills required to pass before I attempt the actual test. I would love a diagram of the course itself...

·
Registered
902 Posts
To clarify, I am really looking for material related to the skills test. I want to make sure I am proficient at the skills required to pass before I attempt the actual test. I would love a diagram of the course itself...
There are a variety of courses the instructors can lay out I believe, based on available space. They have a little laminated spiral bound book they flip around quite a bit.

You'll have to trust me when I say there's nothing to worry about. Don't overthink it. You can go in having no idea how to ride a motorbike and as long as you keep a positive, confident attitude they will make sure you learn and will not let you fail.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Congrats on wanting to develop your skills prior to attending the class. I have never seen the MSF riding test spelled out but definitely check out youtube and see what is out there. That being said, by any chance did you pick up a Honda "You & Your Motorcycle Riding Tips" book when you were at a dealer? At the back of the book are 9 exercises which if you become proficient at you will be well on your way to possessing the skills you need to pass the test. The only other skill I can think of that you will need to be proficient at is the figure 8.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
Thanks guys! I actually already downloaded the MSF manual and am making my way through it and have already been through both manuals that came with my bike. Because I am a beginner I am trying to read everything I can get my hands on as well as practicing every chance I get. I want to be a responsible and safe rider.
Spend twenty bucks and get a copy of Proficient Motorcycling.

Then again if you just want to pass a basic test, that's something entirely different than working towards becoming a proficient motorcyclist, which is a life long pursuit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts