Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put the bike away for the winter today. I did my oil change, cleaned/ waxed the bike, stabilized the fuel, lubed the chain and pulled the battery out. My question is with the battery out of the bike and inside the house how often should I hook it up to my battery tender? All the time, once a month, never?

·
Registered
576 Posts
12.6 is the full voltage for sla batteries that are 12volt.
if kept indoors and is a good battery i would just check to see
if still at 12.6... if lower charge.
down south it hardly freezes, around christmas i run
my rider for a few minutes just to cycle the batt,i'll
be riding through the winter so i dont worry like the northern riders,
also alittle 1.5watt solar panel will keep the battery charged
unattended safely with just a onetime placement of the panel
like in an indoor southern facing window with battery just below.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Fair weather riders :D

·
Registered
879 Posts
I leave my battery in the bike and hook up it up to the battery tender. It only charges as it needs to. You dont have to plug in and unplug it. It takes care of itself. Good until spring

·
Registered
576 Posts
i put a 12 volt connection on my bars for an emergency.makes checking
the battery a breeze.

i have a couple of those harbor freight 45watt kits wired in
parallel/four golfcart batts and a 1200watt inverter.
that pretty much runs everything in the garage.the other day had a friend over and left the key on/drained the battery good.
ran a wire from my garage rig for a few minutes maybe ten.
charged back very quick.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I leave my battery in the bike and hook up it up to the battery tender. It only charges as it needs to. You dont have to plug in and unplug it. It takes care of itself. Good until spring
I would have preferred to leave the battery in the bike and just plug in the tender there, but there is no outlet in the garage I'm storing the bike in; thats why I brought the battery indoors. From my what I've seen I'm going to plug it in once a month to top the battery off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would have preferred to leave the battery in the bike and just plug in the tender there, but there is no outlet in the garage I'm storing the bike in; thats why I brought the battery indoors. From my what I've seen I'm going to plug it in once a month to top the battery off.
Someone posted here that they emailed Battery Tender for advice and they did recommend removing the battery for those who don't ride at all in the Winter.

I am fair weather only, and also live in South Texas. I leave the CBR on a Battery Tender Junior 24/7. I also run 3 AGM batteries in my PT Cruiser show car; and they live on a larger full time charger/conditioner.

I think you would be fine with checking it and charging it once a month if it is stored indoors. If it is dropping voltage fast; then try 2x monthly.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
t! 250 Tom. All my bikes remain on battery tender, in an unheated garage. Bikes have always been good. (3 bikes and one Mini Cooper in single car garage) lol Bikes Rule!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts