Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Bazzaz Update on thw 2011 Honda CBR250

29K views 101 replies 17 participants last post by  sendler 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
you guys need to do a exchange program so I can trade my Z-fi in for a QS.

#8 ·
I would say that would be difference in Dyno's, not tunes.

#4 ·
"Use slip-on map as base when self-mapping, even with a full system":)

i about to turn on the flux capasi.....i mean the self mapping thing , quick questions before i do:

what target AFR (air fuel ratio) does Mr Bazzaz recommend for this bike ?

will be self-mapping today without a dyno , any suggestions !?:cool:

#5 ·
do you have a full system SS? If its a slip I can send you my map. Though we are at way different sea levels..ect..
Target AFR Mine is at 13:2 though I think. I think its 13:0 from factory. Not sure though

#6 ·
got the full yosh (forgot you the man with these questions):cool:

im just going to turn on the Flux Capacitor and ride the bike for a few days so the mapping can be according to my regular driving .

can you elaborate on what IS the AFR and "how to" self map this bike ?
....(wait "self-mapping" ?):confused: you know what i mean HoPMiX :D:D

all this Bazzaz stuff is new to me...most bikes are fast enough not to need mapping kits ;)

btw-sea level = 0 feet but South Florida weather is crazy , is kinda cold right now , perfect for riding :)

#7 · (Edited)
haha. I wish. Only thing I know about motorcycles is that they are expensive.
lol...
AFR air to fuel ratio.
SO you have a Yosh full system and a Bazzaz Z-fi? Do you have the Bazzaz AFM? The afm is the module that takes readings from a sensor you install in pipe and auto corrects the ecu based on the AFR you want to run. If you just have the Z-fi and you install it, it has a map that Bazzaz did on a CBR nack in chino hills. Should be better than your stock ecu mapping but the sea level/atmospheric pressure effects things and Bazzaz is in a place 1200 feet above sea level. Also tuned to a slip on and not a full system.
If you have the Z-FI and AFM you can just ride it out and it will adjust. If you only have your Z-fi then You will need to hit a performance shop and have them dyno the bike and tune it specifically to your bike. ESP with a full system. It prolly running so lean right now. I also suggest removing your snorkel from the airbox before the tune if your running at higher rpms.

AFM is 299
you could prolly get a custom tune for 200.00
but for 100 extra bucks, you'll always be getting peak performance.

#9 · (Edited)
If you only have your Z-fi then You will need to hit a performance shop and have them dyno the bike and tune it specifically to your bike. I also suggest removing your snorkel from the airbox before the tune if your running at higher rpms.

AFM is 299
you could prolly get a custom tune for 200.00
but for 100 extra bucks, you'll always be getting peak performance.
^ excellent point :)

i got both the Z-FI and the AFM (i like to cut out the middleman for $100 please)("let's make a deal" voice)

im running map #1 which i almost %100 sure is for aftermarket exhaust
...but i would like to leave that map just in case any abnormal reading or i get stuck or something , so i will try to self-map #2.

would like a hwy map and a city map (translation) > track map or stunt map ;)

if you have any more suggestion , keep'em coming please :cool:

thanks HoP :cool::cool:

#10 ·
The simple answer is somewere between 13.2 and 13.5 for a stock motor with pump gas and stock ignition.
I had mine tuned for 2 maps and I can pop in a little dongle to switch them. I never do. Just keep my turbo map rocking all the time.
You will lose a little gas milage but not enough to make you wanna sell your bike. Your gonna be on your throttle full on all the time anyway. (MY gsxr with sprocket conversion and tune is getting 25 now running 93. fn bull) think it needs a new tune.

#12 ·
Your gonna be on your throttle full on all the time anyway. (MY gsxr with sprocket conversion and tune is getting 25 now running 93. fn bull) think it needs a new tune.
:D:D you know me well brother :cool::D:D

my bike is gear'd already so the MPG thing when out the window (was never really a mpg's fanatic , but when i think about it , i just look at the other vehicles around me):)

:D:D:D..soooo, set the afr at like 13.4 , hit start and ride around with lost of roll on's on all gears !? :)
get back home , hit stop , retrieve and apply !? :confused:

BTW- 1 down +5 on 600 is perfect gearing for fun ;)

#13 ·
#14 · (Edited)
Mr. Bazzaz or anyone competent enough to answer:
Is this unit has the same problem with Dynojet's unit regarding O2 sensor like it does not not allow fine tune on AFR around 85 percent blah blah blah?
I am asking this questions on this forum for a long time and so far no one answered or enlightened us on "no fine tune adjustment around 85 percent on AFR due to O2 sensor" What does it officially mean guys?
This is the key question for me to buy the ecu or not and i am sure for many here. As, i do not see/hear any explanation about it, i afraid that, ecu manufacturers hide the truth from us?
Any answers?
Thanks in advance.

#28 ·
Mr. Bazzaz or anyone competent enough to answer:
Is this unit has the same problem with Dynojet's unit regarding O2 sensor like it does not not allow fine tune on AFR around 85 percent blah blah blah?
I am asking this questions on this forum for a long time and so far no one answered or enlightened us on "no fine tune adjustment around 85 percent on AFR due to O2 sensor" What does it officially mean guys?
This is the key question for me to buy the ecu or not and i am sure for many here. As, i do not see/hear any explaination about it, i m afraid that, ecu manufacturers hide the truth from us?
Any answers?
Thanks in advance.
It is sad to quote on my own post!
no answer again which make me think again like the ecu is not working correctly and manufacturers hiding the truth or you guys are just hooked on a placebo effect maybe?
Is it sad but true?
Or, no one here is competent enough to answer?
I m not sure, let' see.

yess, now this is a thread:)

#16 ·
Well when we tuned the bike we did it a base of 13.0 AFR.

Here is the procedure to tune your bike when using the ZAFM

1: Plug into the software on go into the Self Map Tab
2: Press Start/Exit the Soft ware
3: Ride the bike for a good 20 min. Try to hit every gear
4: Plug back into the Software/Self Map Tab
5: Press Stop
6: Press retrieve
8: Press Apply All
9: Press Clear
10: Repeat in same order

#21 ·
Speedo off a bit though. Id say 5-7 mph slower than indicated. Have a gps SS?

#23 ·
Ah right. I just meant grab someones Battery powered gps and tape it to handlebar to test your top speed. like a garmin.

#34 · (Edited)
That torque boost is incredible. Totally getting one of these to help my constant city commuting.
Very little of that improvement is coming from the box. They are obviously comparing a stock exhaust to a slip on. Every dyno with a modified exhaust that I have seen looks about like that. The slip on alone will give you most of the gains (and a ticket grabbing amount of noise) and the fuel controller is just the icing on the cake to richen up the bottom end where the Honda maps are actually into a lean burn.

Attachments

#38 ·
Are you saying the Z-Fi won't do much with stock exhaust? I saw this review...

2011 Honda CBR250R Review by MotorcycleDaily.com - YouTube

For those who don't watch the video, Motorcycle Daily is reporting an obviously noticeable difference with no modification to the intake or exhaust at all.
I wondered about that article when I first saw it. Might be worth a try I guess. Especially if you get the whole kit with the auto logger and quick shifter.

#39 ·
All I can say is I had the Z-Fi installed yesterday, with the slip on map (map 1) - also I have an Akrapovic carbon slip-on (db killer is in). No dyno.

Some immediate observations:

1. Much smoother throttle in the lower gears - didn't get past 4 on ride home so haven't tested higher yet. 1st is actually usable now - can ride around at reasonable speed with lower gears, which is great. No more starving puttering sound, if that makes any sense. More fuel :)

2. The exhaust sound has changed dramatically - it sounds aggressive all the time vs some of the time as before - in a highly melodious way.

3. Definitely feels like the engine response and power has increased. If I had to describe it in one word, its "useful". Bike responds faster and fluidly - much more fun to ride.

4. Set off car alarms coming home - huge grin on face.

Just get it, if you can. Akra + Bazazz = a whole different bike. I put 600 miles on just Akra so far, so I'm reasonably qualified to make this observation.

#43 ·
The motorcycle.com review I posted the YouTube video to on the previous page was claiming it was a very noticeable difference even with no modification to the exhaust. They said their mileage dropped from upper 60's to upper 50's. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

#44 ·
They said the fuel controller made " much more power" but never substantiated it with the dyno they promised that I can find. The dyno at the top of this thread looks exactly like all the others I've seen that installed a slip on only and they never replied when I asked them if that is showing a fuel controller AND a slip on. You could try it along with the auto logger with some timed runs but I think you will still be looking for a slip on to make any real difference above 5,000. And fuel economy will certainly go down the more you richen it.

#45 ·
I was hoping to make the boost below 5k for getting off the line when commuting in traffic. The dyno sheet on the last page shows a bump in torque in the bottom end. Do you think that came from a slip on? My understanding was that a higher flow exhaust would add power to the top end, not bottom. My theory was that if the 250R runs lean <5k, a fuel controller richening up the ratio would add more to that range most. Is this incorrect?

#47 ·
That would be a deal breaker if so. I don't want a loud exhaust. Had one before and got tired of it after a few hundred miles. I started feeling embarrassed at all the obnoxious noise I was making everywhere I went. Could be wishful thinking to think the Bazzaz on a stock CBR would add low end torque by itself and only lose a couple of MPG's. Maybe the richer fuel mix accounts for the torque gain more so than a more free flowing exhaust? Perhaps the map gives the low end gains and the slip on gives the high end gains?

#51 ·
Rusty, Honda certainly detuned it a bit to give greater fuel economy, so I have no doubt that you could get a 1-1.5hp gain without touching the exhaust or intake.

Personally I don't think any of these things (intake, exhaust, ECU piggyback) are worth it from a performance standpoint. If you're after looks, a different sound, etc., then sure.

(Disclaimer: I'm not really a killjoy, honest. I've probably spent twice what my car is worth on 'go fast' mods. If I felt the gains from these products were worth it, I'd be all over them.)

#56 ·
I don't know quite what to make of that.. maybe the "juice box" just sucks compared to the others? They're showing a 0.1hp gain having it vs. not.. which isn't just miniscule: it's within the margin of error of the dyno run I'd bet.

Bazzaz supplied this image:

In a thread here: http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-performance/973-dyno-graph-yoshimura.html

Did not say if it was with or without a pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.