Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a digital camera, at last - checking out how this attaching pictures lark works

..... well that wasn't too difficult, but I think I can make it a bit bigger in future.

The picture is from my balcony / kitchen at dawn this morning. As with most dwellings in Thailand, the kitchen is not inside.

We have had a series of storms, and have hardly seen the sun, or a decent sunrise for several weeks now.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Nice pic michael.

Now you have a digital camera, get a photobucket or Tinypic account to host pics online. make them 600 or 800 pixels

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
rsync -av Pictures_Folder remote_site:/dir

Yes, that's how I copy my pictures. Or some variation of that.(I host my own pics)

Photoblogs also let you host pictures as well. They can be organized the way you want in galleries, etc.

And welcome to the digital age. It's so much fun here.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys, for the heads up on photo hosting. I'll be getting that sussed over the next little while. I had seen the term before, but it had me beat; now it starts to make sense.

With a new semester starting next week and a rugby match to watch this afternoon I have other immediate priorities. I'll be hoping either New Zealand or Ireland win the game......I have passports for both!

I got a little Olympus (edit!) Tough job. It can take a bit of knock, rain, and a shallow dunking.

I was looking at the Canon G series, or the Fujifilm Finepix X10 because they can be set manually, have an optical viewfinder, and the main controls are not too fiddly. In other words, not to dissimilar from photography as I know it, from the image capture point of view at least. I wore out a couple of Ricoh rangefinder 35mm cameras. However, they are a bit beyond my local salary. It would have been doable with funds from home, but something I prefer avoid doing.

The local Tesco supermarket had a stocktaking sale on, with the TG-310 going for a tenth of what I would have had to budget for a G12 or an X10, so it became an impulse purchase by my standards. I went back the next day. It makes sense to cut my digital teeth on.

Edit: Whats with this super polite "thanks" malarky that has popped up? A simple "like" button would be nice though.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I went into the office today, to get some photocopying done, and then went for a ride. as the rain let up for a bit. I signed up to TinyPic this evening. Now lets see how things have turned out........ On editing I got it right it seems. Sorry the pictures are not that good. I am still learning to use the camera.

The surf is all all over the place after several days of storms, but once it settles down some Phuket beaches produce reasonable surf throughout the May to November monsoon. They can be dangerous for swimming though, with strong rips and undertow. It's not for nothing that it is often called the drowning season, with several already this year. From December to April the sea and the beaches are quite benign.

I was after a photo of the Honda Wave with a side car full of LPG tanks. I knew it was coming, and that it would not be going too fast. Just as pressed the shutter release the other bike zoomed into the frame. I'll have to suss scanning if I want action shots.... it's easier with an optical viewfinder and the camera against my face.

Lots of motorcycles parked in front of my office. They are all little 100 - 125 cc machines. I have seen only a few CBR150R's on campus, and have yet to see a 250. The bicycle is mine. It is used for day to day getting around within a 5 to 10 km radius of home. I have had it for 9 years, probably the best value for money $150 I have ever spent.

No one works in the office; it's too gloomy. Like my colleagues, I do most of my work at home. If I want to meet students I sit at a table under the trees.

Scanning practice needed again, and heavy rain didn't help. A common sight; three girls on a motorcycle.... They are not very big so there still room for more; one in front of the driver, and another perched on the back.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Which beach is that?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Which beach is that?
Nai Harn, Phuket; there was quite a lot going on as people came out after the storm. A metre and a half depth of sand had disappeared from the beach. It will be dumped to create a bar a bit off shore, which should be good for the surf. Once the monsoon is gone the sand gets returned to the beach.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice pictures, is that you running on the beach?
I have half the X chromosomes, half the swim suit, less than half the good looks, and about twice the years of the runner.

I'm starting to get things sorted with the camera, and iPhoto. Etiainen's right; it is fun. There are settings for all sorts of things, but I reckon I'll eventually be going back to something with more manual options, and an optical viewfinder.

Actually, it's not my first digital experience. That was back in the 1990s, when digital cameras first came on the market. Much of the information was in English, and Thai friends wanted one to use instead of having to scan photos to catalogue the products they were selling. The one we bought had a resolution of about 1 megapixel. I installed the software, and played around a bit with the pictures with Photoshop, then left their staff to get on with it.

So there I was, among the early adopters of e-marketing, but that was it for me with digital photography until the past week.

Some weekend soon, once the weather settles, I have in mind a bit of a motorcycle jaunt, which I will document and post. May and early June can be quite rough as the monsoon kicks in. Soon it should get better for a couple of months.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You could take a screen shot, then upload that to the host of your choice.

(ctrl +alt + print screen, then paste into paint and save as... for those that don't know that little trick)

Or you could just leave it as a link. That way we can zoom in to street level and see how fun your ride really is :D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the screen shot idea. I'm Mac (and a still learning tech agnostic, not a geek) so the way its done will be a bit different.

A heap of work that has just come in will be keeping me busy this weekend, but by way of diversion I hope to start to pull together the components of a ride report, which I will post in due course. It won't be the epic of the likes of Aargee. It is just a short dawn ride, but I still want to make a decent report of it.

Note to admin: Trip Reports do come up in "today's posts", but don't seem to appear in "active topics".

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Thanks for the screen shot idea. I'm Mac (and a still learning tech agnostic, not a geek) so the way its done will be a bit different.

A heap of work that has just come in will be keeping me busy this weekend, but by way of diversion I hope to start to pull together the components of a ride report, which I will post in due course. It won't be the epic of the likes of Aargee. It is just a short dawn ride, but I still want to make a decent report of it.
command shift 4

Taking Screenshots in Mac OS X - Mac Guides

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good info, etiainen.
I've always used Grab, but that might be easier. Plus, it saves as a png, so more portable from the start.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah, it's simple and easy to do. It's how I take screens of my rides and whatever else I need screens of(teachers used to ask for screens of running programs for hw assignments).

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So far so good, Click, outline, unclick, and bingo....

The map is on my desktop .......

Upload to image hosting......

Now it is stored in my Morning Ride folder along with some photos........

Click on that and select image to copy, then paste here.....

....... Got that sussed now.

Thanks, etiainen, you've just taught an old dog a new trick.

Now to knock out that trip report as a diversion in between marking batches of assignments over the next little while.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts