Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically I have two different questions and only wanted to make one topic.

1) Bigger wheels: Yes, they look awesome, but how will it affect handling if at all? Anyone tried this on this bike?

2) First service: Dealer is asking for $300, and he was blabbing about oil change and crankcase breather, both very easy to do by yourself; as I did. The only thing Im worried about is checking valve clearances. Is that apart of first service even? Any harm in skipping it?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
1) Dont be so silly.

2) Dont be so cheap.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I had the dealer do the 1st service it was just under $300.00 with Adj 1 exhaust valve shim :cool: they keep it for 3 hrs :eek:

·
Registered
724 Posts
My first service was 330 bucks. Not worth it to skip the valve check.
One of the reasons our CBRs handle so well are the small wheels. Skip the bigger wheels thought.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Im going to need some new tires soon, I think im going to go with a 150/70/17 in back…. I’ll see how it works out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dunno if Im being cheap, I just bought a second shoei rf1100 helmet. My thoughts are, is it worth with? I would skimp on a $5 purchase if I thought it wasnt worth it and blow $500 without much thought if I was certain I was getting my money's worth. If the guy is just gonna pretend to check the valves and take my money and just say, "Yea, checked the valves, they was gud" then screw that.

Are people who are getting their valves checked finding out any need adjustment or are people finding out they are fine?

Also on the wheels, please let us know how that turns out Tom. I love the way the bike handles now on the twists and I have gotten real used to it. I wouldnt want to change that, so let us know if you get different handling.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I thought about that too... I weigh 148 lbs, and I heard this bike pushes some good sized riders. Maybe I wont hit red in 6th so soon...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
had my valves checked last aug/sept, they said all valves were in spec tho one was close..that worries me, does that mean 3400 miles later (present) that the valve is now out of spec?
And one rip off a dealer charges is 25 minutes?(may be off on this) to take off the fairings at $70 an hour labor....I can take one off (3 allen head screws!!!) in less than 3 minutes. they quoted me $110 just for the oil change..had em do it at first service..will do it myself from now on..filter/gasket/washer and 2 quarts of oil cost me less than $20 from that same dealer

·
Registered
16 Posts
had mine done 2 were out of spec so i would recommend having it done 300ish is fair price for first service. I do all my own maintenance and recommend you do the same. The chain is easy and the oil change is a breeze, put some synthetic in the engine loves it. other than adjusting the clutch and throttle cables and chain there isnt a whole bunch of routine maintenance. I have 3500m on mine and i got one of the first ones and love every minute im riding and working on it

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
You should've had a check at the first service. I had to pay $200 something for it. I had to pay $89 for the oil change.:eek:

I had 1 or 2 out of spec. I will do it myself next time at 16k. Has to be easier than my 2009 Ninja 250 was. I had to remove the cams for that.:(

In respect to tires..just stick with the stock sizes, there's no point in going bigger.

I'm just debating which tires I want to go with this time. I replaced my IRCs on my Ninjette to BT45s, which made a world of difference. They don't last as long though. I was thinking Dunlop GT501s but they don't have a 140/70/17 so I will probably just end up with the BT45s again because they stuck really well all around.

I am over 4k now after my trip. I'll just do an oil change and whatever else is in the SM.

·
Registered
706 Posts
My first service was $25, 2 quarts of oil and a filter 2 hours of my time. Can we get back on topic now?

The first service is for quality control. The engines are assembled to spec but after break in things can change. Most of us shouldn't need anything on the valves but every now and then you do and this is why they put it in the first service.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Is it possible to do the first service check yourself? I purchased the shop manual (not the bike yet :( ) to become familiar with it. It looks like shims are used for valve adjustment instead of an adjustment screw as is used on may solid rocker Honda car motors. Sounds like taking it to the dealer is a good idea as many would not have the shims available. Having said that, it may be worth purchasing a pack of Honda shims for future use.

The other consideration is what happens to the warranty if the first service check is NOT done by a dealer. Would it be void?

Just some food for thought.

With my cars, I personally am not a big fan of dealer service work because every time I have something done, I am not happy with the results. I suppose that drove me to build my own work shop next to the garage.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was told $170 if it doesn't need shims, $290 I'd it does. Either way valves need to be checked. Checked with two dealers... Same story, same approximate price... Both said most of the cbr250s DO need valve adjustment on the first service...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts