Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a disc lock or U lock? Are there any pros/cons for either or is there a better system for securing your bike?

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a lock up garage so for the time being just looking for something to give me a little peace of mind.

Cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the Xena Secuity Disc lock/alarm. I think it's the XX6 model or something close to that. It's seems pretty strong and gets good reviews. Cyclegear is giving away a free cable with purchase right now too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Depending how bad your area is, I'd also get something like a bike chain (kryptonite brand for ex) that you can lock your wheel to something solid. This will prevent people from simply lifting your bike into a truck. (not a wire though. way too easily cut)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Depending how bad your area is, I'd also get something like a bike chain (kryptonite brand for ex) that you can lock your wheel to something solid. This will prevent people from simply lifting your bike into a truck. (not a wire though. way too easily cut)
you should never lock a motorcycle or any bicycle for that matter by the wheel, if somebody wants the bike theyll just take the wheel off

·
Registered
394 Posts
you should never lock a motorcycle or any bicycle for that matter by the wheel, if somebody wants the bike theyll just take the wheel off
Elaborate interloping system through the framework, front forks, swingarm rear and front wheels. Problem solved.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Oh, and just to clarify, I don't use a lock system or chain. I park my bike smack in the middle of one of the security cameras at work, I actually told a customer off once for nearly running his little scooter into my bike doing a U-Turn. If anyone steals my bike, I'll have their details recorded in a very convenient manner.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The best bike locks are still just deterrents. Get the easiest to use key-locking (no combination locks) one you can that can't be defeated by simple hand tools like handheld diagonal pliers or a hacksaw blade, and lock it through the frame.

If you need more protection than that, consider lo-jack and/or theft insurance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I favor the onguard disc lock and rottweiler cable lock. I dont care if people think Im going over board with protecting my cbr. all it takes is one slip up and not only are you out a few grand but you're also footin' it home. Follow these steps:

1. Never leave your keys in the ignition. NEVER!!!
2. Leave it in gear so potential thieves can't roll it back.
3. Always ignition lock you're steering.
4. NO WIRE LOCKS!!! Only use heavy duty cable or chain locks.
5. Always try to lock your bike to something immovable and sturdy.
6. When locking a bike to an object always go through the frame and never the wheel alone.
7...And this may be the most important one, park your bike in clear view of active cctv cameras and well lit areas.

These are only some deterrents you can use. Nothing can really stop a determined and experienced thief but the harder you make it for them to take your things and get away with it, the less likely you are to have your sh** stolen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts