Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changed the oil and filter today..had about 3500 miles on the oil in there..it was still nice and golden but a few shades darker than the new oil that replaced it..I dont see why it couldn't have went another 3500 miles before changing..easy.....so ill just change it about eveyr 7-8000 miles or once per year like the manual states

And whats up with the drain bolt? first of all why make it a star bit? luckily i had some in my toolbox....I don't know why make it a different kind of bolt than seen anywhere else on the bike (does Honda manufacture star bit sockets?) probably
And the fact that its just slightly off center from top dead center over the exhaust pipe? I had my socket turned at a slight angle to be able to get it into bolt..then when the oil comes out..guess where it goes..yep....all over the exhaust..my attempts to get my bucket all the way under it or use the funnel i had sitting there was futile at best...a good 3/4 of a quarts puddled right on the concrete under my motorcycle...put a bunch of shop rags down to soak up what i could...ugggg

And even tho Honda dealer said I didn't need to change the gasket I had them order me one anyway because I believe the service manual says to? it was just $3.25.....but they were right..the gasket is metal and I could tell not one tiny difference between the new one and the old one if not for the slight sheen of oil on the old one....I wont bother changing it again for awhile..maybe every 5 oil changes or so....my dealer also said to replace the drain plug ever 5 or 6 oil changes...ill prob order them together and change them at the same time to make it simpler to remember.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Take a second look under the engine. Look over by the kick stand. Do you see a regular hex head bolt hiding behind a plate of metal?
That's the oil drain bolt. Not the star head one above the header.

Draining out of the one above the header works as well I guess but it's not the one the book says to use and it is way easier to access the correct one.
I think (but am not sure) that the one above the header might direct drain from the pump rather than the pan.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
change the drain plug.lol.
there is one born every second,dont be that one.
they actually said change the washer every 5 or 6 oil changes..but i didnt have one on the plug I took out so i assumed they meant the plug itself...didnt see another plug..guess i missed it..lol will buy a service manual this spring

·
Registered
576 Posts
if your changing the oil yourself just make sure you get the spring
right when putting the oil filter cover back on.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The correct bolt does indeed have a crush washer.
The star head one does not have a washer.
Next time you change the oil remove the regular hex headed bolt that's on the kick stand side and you will see the crush washer :)

On edit: the washer is under a buck. It's worth replacing with each change.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I did the same thing, pulled the star head bolt out by mistake. Easy to do cant see the hex head bolt as its behind exhaust pipe on oppsite side. Oh well it did work

1 - 7 of 7 Posts