Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no not talking about "the rattle" or numb fingers. but the buzz or high i get from a fantastic epic ride.

On Saturday i decided to go someplace new. I made a trip from downtown Vancouver to a small town called Merritt. A trip of 4hrs and 271km one way.

google maps route. E Cordova St to Princeton-Kamloops Hwy/Voght St - Google Maps

The ride to the 1st stop of a town called Hope was uneventful as i have done this many times. a brief gas top up and rest and i started off on my adventure. The route from hope to merritt takes me on a hwy trip of approx 90km.

the trip is on a hwy called hwy 5 aka The Coquihalla Highway.
"The Coquihalla Highway passes through some of the most beautiful landscapes in the province. This dramatic change of environment is always exhilarating, as you go from misty coastal cedars and tall firs to bright sunlight on the high rock faces in the space of half an hour."

I had a few surprises along the way. The first was i noticed the speed limit was 110kph. The hwy has lots of nice twisty curves. tho you do not want to go off hwy as many spots had no guard rail or barrier and literally a drop off of several thousand feet. about 30min in on the hwy i wondered what was wrong. i was pinned on the throttle (wide open throttle WOT) and had to drop to 5th to maintain 110 indicated.

i did not realize it at the time but i checked later and saw that at the peak i had climbed up to a height of 4200 feet above sea level. At several points along this high section i was wondering what i was getting myself into. it was cold up there and still lots of snow off the sides of the road(which was clear) but i pushed on. one part i passed thru a covered bridge.

made it to merritt and stopped for lunch and rested up. took me a bit to warm up. was cold at 8am when i headed out (10c) and they mtn peak was even colder. but high temps due were 22c so was good. did not take as long as i expected. left home at 8am. was in hope at 10ish and in merritt at 1145.

on the way back had a bit of a freek out at that covered bridge. This time when i entered it i could not see anything for several seconds. the shift from bright sun to dark had me blind. it was 130p on way back so wasnt as cold.

we have some great roads and scenery out here. the little CBR managed it just fine. Not sure if i would want to do that every week. Tho i only was at 7k to 8k rpm on the trip averaging speeds of 110 to 135kph.

what a great day. i do plan to go back tho on a different route. better scenery and longer. takes you 3hrs and 211km to get from hope to merritt (instead of 1.5h and 90km) (the route Trans-Canada Hwy/Water Ave/BC-1 E to Princeton-Kamloops Hwy/Voght St - Google Maps) then back across hwy 5 to hope. i had actually planned to do this ride yesterday but will save it for a warmer day.

thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Skyway, great to hear a trip report from someone in my area. Good thing the weather held out, too. It started to cool off later in the day.

Personally, I feel there are much nicer rides to be had. Certainly the Hwy 1 route as you proposed at the end of your post is nice. Some other very nice ones are, in no particular order: Hope to Princeton; Vancouver to Pemberton via Squamish and Whistler; Pemberton to Lillooet - VERY nice; Lillooet to the Cariboo Hwy via Duffey Lake Road (that is, Hwy 99 passing by Marble Canyon Provincial Park); even the Lougheed Highway from Maple Ridge to Harrison Lake is nice; or make it a bit longer, and go via the Old Dewdney, from Pitt Meadows to Harrison Lake: Pitt River Bridge, Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada to Harrison Hot Springs, BC, Canada - Google Maps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts