Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Bike in the shop!

6K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  ice_burg 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I had to take my CBR into the shop Friday evening. Despite clutch adjustments and different tanks of fuel from different places etc, I am experiencing cut-outs when at high speed and and high rpm. Like when I am merging onto the interstate etc.. It will cut out and keep accelerating and then cut out again and keep going.. Seems electrical to me as it only does it after the bike has been ridden for a 15 or 20 minutes prior.. Dropped it off Friday hope to hear something in the next day or so.

#2 ·
Interesting. Let us know what the issue turns out to be. I'm with you on electrical, wondering if it's ignition or fuel pump related or what. I'm sure they'll get it sorted, though.

#10 ·
Update:
Stopped by the shop today and my bike was on the Dyno. They were testing it as best they could to replicate the conditions I have explained to them when the issue happens. So far they have not been able to replicate it. They asked to keep it one more day. I expect to hear something this afternoon. Either "Come and get it we can't find anything wrong" or "We think we fixed it" We shall see. I did find out that on the dyno the bike will do 102MPH before the Speed limiter kicks in. Not the rev limiter.

#12 ·
I did find out that on the dyno the bike will do 102MPH before the Speed limiter kicks in. Not the rev limiter.
Theoretical speed at 10,500 is 105 mph 170 kph. Maybe you were seeing the rev limiter along with some tach error and speedo error. Other people have posted speeds of 178 kph at redline with %8 speedo error while going down hill.

#11 ·
interesting! i had no idea there was a speed limiter on this thing. if that is the case and these bikes are limited to 100 mph/160 kph, that would make perfect sense as that was around the speed i was doing when i had it happen. the only problem with that scenario is that i've had my bike up to 168 kph indicated without it cutting out.

#14 ·
OK, I have the bike back. I noticed on the drive to the shop that the cut out was not occurring. Which didn't mean anything because I could not make it do it every single time anyway. It seemed rather random. They kept the bike for a full week and dyno'd it and tested it on the street as well and could never get the thing to hiccup. I stopped in while the bike was on the dyno and asked if I could "ride" it to see if it was something I was doing. They agreed and I hopped on went through the gears, everything is up to temperature and nothing...not one single hiccup whatsoever. They were going to document the issue and said they would notify the regional service guy as well to let him know in case it was needed later. So there ya have it.. Since i took it to them not one single thing was done to the bike and the issue never occurred again. If it does in fact happen again I will make a note of everything and report back to them. They suggested I try running a higher octane fuel in it regardless of what the manual says.. I have yet to do this.

#17 ·
Only if it was a severe and persistent condition, and then only if the ECU really monitors for that.

#22 ·
A couple years ago, I had almost identical symptoms on another single-cylinder bike. It would run fine at lower speeds and RPM, but misfire and cut out on hard acceleration and high speeds. One incident occurred on the Annapolis Bay Bridge to the Eastern Shore of Maryland, where there are no shoulders, no place to go.

Turned out to be intermittent contact on the spark plug wire. The boot was still holding on to the plug; the wire had unclipped from the plug but was still resting against it, all hidden by the boot. The technician was embarrassed but honest. At the time, I had a pre-paid maintenance plan with warranty and I just didn't think of it like I probably would have on a lawn mower or something like that.

Once he reconnected the plug a couple years ago (still have the bike) it has never stalled or misfired. I'd like to believe it might be so simple, but it might be worth a try.

#26 ·
Thread resurrection.
So After having the bike for roughly 3 weeks total. The shop was never able to reproduce the problem. We agreed that if the problem persisted after they had gone over everything and tested electrical etc.. that I could bring it back and possibly deal on an extended warranty at cost or maybe less. So i took it home and rode it no issues then last night I am riding and i find myself on big open road with no one behind or in front of me and it hiccuped. So I watched the tach and every time it hiccuped..the rpms jumped about 500 or 600 rpm and then would catch and fall back in line..

I called the Honda shop when I got home and they said to bring it back in..

This usually occurs for me when I am at speed. Not during take off.

Last night it was doing it consistently with me in 5th gear at about 82 mph and the tach around the 8k to 8500 mark..

Normally when a clutch would be wearing out it might jump a couple thousand rpms... but maybe with where i am in the torque band at the specified rpm it slips enough to jump only 5 or 6 hundred and then catches again.. since it is a twofiddy

i dunno... does this seem logical or possible or are there other things related to the clutch that could cause this similar issue? Weather permitting i plan to take the bike back in today but i want some insight from experienced folks that may lend to a successful resolution before i have to buy an extended warranty... depending on price i may do it anyway though..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.