Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as usual I rode home from work, backed my bike in next to my girlfriend's car, and threw the cover on the bike. Later that night one of my dogs is barking out the front window which is not unusual. I go up to see what she's barking at and I notice that the cover has slipped up over the rear tire. I go outside to pull the cover back down and I notice my neighbor and his buddy sitting on his front steps staring at me. I pull down the cover, turn around, and see that they are still watching me and they look like they just got caught doing something they shouldn't have. It seemed a bit strange at the time, but I just went back inside.

I come out this morning and pull the cover off my bike to find that it has been knocked over on its right side and then picked back up. The mirror has broken off (but not the arm), the windscreen is damaged, the heat shielding over the pipe is scratched and bent, and the master cylinder as been knocked out of place (not sure if it was damaged).

Now the guilty looks start to make sense. Obviously my neighbor or one of his buddies was Ғucking around and tipped my bike over. My bike was far enough back that a car couldn't have backed into it without hitting my girlfriend's too. So somebody did something that tipped the bike off the kickstand and all the way over.

tl;dr
Bike knocked over. Neighbors suspected.

Today when I get home from work I'm going to go ask my neighbor if he knows what happened. I'm going to bring a recording device (hidden) to get his statement. I believe that recording him outside his house would nullify his "reasonable expectation of privacy".

So assuming he admits to it or gives me the name of the person responsible what is my next step? Do I file an accident report?

What is my legal recourse? It's a brand new bike and I want it returned to that condition.

·
Registered
706 Posts
So as usual I rode home from work, backed my bike in next to my girlfriend's car, and threw the cover on the bike. Later that night one of my dogs is barking out the front window which is not unusual. I go up to see what she's barking at and I notice that the cover has slipped up over the rear tire. I go outside to pull the cover back down and I notice my neighbor and his buddy sitting on his front steps staring at me. I pull down the cover, turn around, and see that they are still watching me and they look like they just got caught doing something they shouldn't have. It seemed a bit strange at the time, but I just went back inside.

I come out this morning and pull the cover off my bike to find that it has been knocked over on its right side and then picked back up. The mirror has broken off (but not the arm), the windscreen is damaged, the heat shielding over the pipe is scratched and bent, and the master cylinder as been knocked out of place (not sure if it was damaged).

Now the guilty looks start to make sense. Obviously my neighbor or one of his buddies was Ғucking around and tipped my bike over. My bike was far enough back that a car couldn't have backed into it without hitting my girlfriend's too. So somebody did something that tipped the bike off the kickstand and all the way over.

tl;dr
Bike knocked over. Neighbors suspected.

Today when I get home from work I'm going to go ask my neighbor if he knows what happened. I'm going to bring a recording device (hidden) to get his statement. I believe that recording him outside his house would nullify his "reasonable expectation of privacy".

So assuming he admits to it or gives me the name of the person responsible what is my next step? Do I file an accident report?

What is my legal recourse? It's a brand new bike and I want it returned to that condition.
I'm not sure if recording him will help or not.

I had the same thing happen in my garage, I couldn't believe it and I was SOOO angry. My damage fortunately was just scratches and I replaced the panels and all was perfect again but I had only had it 2 weeks when it happened.

This is something that probably will go under home owners insurance if you don't get them to cover the damages. It will probably be under $350

·
Registered
385 Posts
Master cylinder knocked out of place from being tipped over?
Geez......I need to seriously consider some frame sliders....would they have helped?

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Master cylinder knocked out of place from being tipped over?
Geez......I need to seriously consider some frame sliders....would they have helped?
That's what struck me, master cylinder damaged. Wow, sucks the big one. I'd be right ripped! Replacing the fairing can still cost a pretty pennie. Hope your home owners insurance can cover it. Get quotes!! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the MC hit a support beam for my covered parking. Normally it probably would have just hit the end weights. I also had my forks locked so I'm sure how that affected the fall.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
sounds like you have some real turds for neighbors... Absolutely call the cops to have them file a report...

have liability/Comprehensive on my insurance...this would fall under vandalism in the Comp....My insurance would demand a police report before paying on a claim tho..
it only cost about $30 more every 6 months to add the comprehensive to my policy.

If you dont have the motorcycle insurance,,it might go under homeowners insurance if you have that..not so sure how it would though,probably wouldnt

With a recording you would have a solid case in civil claims court...better check your states wiretapping laws first...even in claims court you would need a police report as evidence of damage done and when it occurred....

i am guessing unless you neighbor is a real retard and admits he damaged it (im assuming that he isnt that stupid) then he will follow the first 3 rules every liar (even those caught red handed) know by heart..they are as follows
1. DENY
2. DENY
3. DENY

without full coverage or at least comprehensive on your insurance, you are probably going to be left holding the bag on this one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Don't bother with the neighbors. Seriously. You might be right that they messed with your bike, but at the end of the day you don't have any proof. Going and confronting your neighbors is just going to make you look like a dick.

You should have called the cops and gotten a police report as soon as you noticed the damage. All of the insurance companies that I've ever dealt with required a police report in order to file a claim. Hopefully you're not too late for that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I knocked my own bike over(idiot that I am sometimes) and yes frame sliders do help. I have a pair of Yoshimura knobbs and the only thing that got any real scratches was the right hand mirror and the brake lever, and they were minor. No scratches at all to any of my fairings. Well worth the $170Aus. I paid for them.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Bash them and extort them... then bash them again.

·
Registered
619 Posts
They know you know, so your ahead. What's the aggravation worth to you?

Get a chain and a lock, put on the disk alarm. I think DoubleR used that.

A game trail camera will record who touches it, but it's hard to secure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You are not alone. **** chic knocked bike over. I went over to a friends house tonight. As i was leaving she wanted to sit on bike with my helmet on etc.. To take pics etc.. So she is sitting on bike and turns steering tipping it over. I jumped out my skin! I should have known better to let her sit on bike!! Damage report: bent brake lever, scratched side view mirror, scratch/dented heat shield, scrtched fairing, scrtched front turn signal housing, scratched throttle end nobby. All this and i didnt even get laid!! :eek: only good thing' she is paying to fix:rolleyes:

·
Registered
795 Posts
You are not alone. **** chic knocked bike over. I jumped out my skin! I should have known better to let her sit on bike!! Damage report: bent brake lever, scratched side view mirror, scratch/dented heat shield, scrtched fairing, scrtched front turn signal housing, scratched throttle end nobby. All this and i didnt even get laid!! :eek: only good thing' she is paying to fix:rolleyes:
I think you should work out a better "deal" :D, dude she dropped your new 250:eek:

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
You are not alone. **** chic knocked bike over. I went over to a friends house tonight. As i was leaving she wanted to sit on bike with my helmet on etc.. To take pics etc.. So she is sitting on bike and turns steering tipping it over. I jumped out my skin! I should have known better to let her sit on bike!! Damage report: bent brake lever, scratched side view mirror, scratch/dented heat shield, scrtched fairing, scrtched front turn signal housing, scratched throttle end nobby. All this and i didnt even get laid!! :eek: only good thing' she is paying to fix:rolleyes:
Bummer! If they MUST sit on it.. stand at the back and hold the 2 handy grab rails.

·
1,305 Posts
. All this and i didnt even get laid!! :eek: only good thing' she is paying to fix:rolleyes:

after seeing the damage she can do when straddling...
*puts on sunglasses*

then its probably best she just laid the bike

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bummer! If they MUST sit on it.. stand at the back and hold the 2 handy grab rails.
It was a bummer...i never even come close to dropping bike... Bike was a virgin to any imperfections until the she took care of that. I was holding her iphone for the bloody pics and couldnt even react fast enough. No more felions sitting on bike period!! It wasnt even like she tried to break the fall...just flopped the poor thing on its side! :(

·
Registered
272 Posts
Did she sit on it side saddle? How the he** did he drop it with her feet on the ground?

·
Registered
95 Posts
after seeing the damage she can do when straddling...
*puts on sunglasses*

then its probably best she just laid the bike

Lol! Laid it she did!

Sorry, dont mean to hijack thread... Kutter, the bike was on kick stand..she was on full straddle, feet on pegs , when she turned bars she shifted her weight on the right side....flopping over..she didnt even put her leg out to brace...:mad:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So here's the update. I talked to them on Friday. Apparently there was a guy at the party that was way too drunk. He was causing trouble so they kicked him out. They didn't see anything but they are trying to track the guy down. They heard some noise but didn't see anything. Hopefully somebody else at the party saw something.

Now I need to order some parts. MC is boned. It is cracked and leaks when I pull the lever. The mirror asm and MC will be < $80. If I can prove it was the drunk guy I'll take him to court to pay for the parts and labor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts