Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, recently got 2013 CBR250R, it drove well at first but the neutral acts up and assumed the clutch cable needed adjustment. But before I had a chance to do that, I shifted mistakenly into neutral when I was riding the bike and it did what it was supposed to do slowed down rpm went high and all the fun stuff. But after that incident the bike lagged and doesn't have much power especially at first gear. Before I could go, up to 40km/hr on first gear at around 7rpm. But now I have to shift to 2nd gear at around 20km/hr at 5rpm, to third gear at 40km/hr. I have to gear up as the bike/engine feels stressed; Not sure what the problem is or If this is normal.

Another thing is when I shift up or down it makes a loud clicking sound. Not sure if this is normal or the bike has problems. Anything helps. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hi Heniam,

I can't help you with the engine issues but the clicking on shifting is normal. If you want to lessen it you need to put some slight pressure on the gear selector into the direction you want to shift before pulling the clutch in.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
How is the oil level? Is it fresh?

Over-revving shouldn't have caused any damage typically. Does it rev freely as you accelerate? How high do you usually shift? You don't want to run it just at low RPMs all the time.Revving is fine.

Make sure the clutch cable is adjusted properly. That will make shifting rough if it's not.

Is the chain in good condition, adjusted, and lubed?

Have the valves ever been adjusted?

Running a strong fuel system cleaner once a year is a good idea to keep the fuel system and internal parts clear of deposits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How is the oil level? Is it fresh?

Over-revving shouldn't have caused any damage typically. Does it rev freely as you accelerate? How high do you usually shift? You don't want to run it just at low RPMs all the time.Revving is fine.

Make sure the clutch cable is adjusted properly. That will make shifting rough if it's not.

Is the chain in good condition, adjusted, and lubed?

Have the valves ever been adjusted?

Running a strong fuel system cleaner once a year is a good idea to keep the fuel system and internal parts clear of deposits.
Not really freely the engine is stressed or wanted to go to 2nd gear I think, As soon as I hit in the 20's km/hr/. I usually shift around 6-7rpm.

As I got the bike recently used, Not sure about what changed when but the chain looks okay but its on its last legs, I think. Would changing the chain improve the overall performance?

Okay will try running the fuel cleaner. Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
As far as the chain goes, get the rear wheel up in the air and see if it spins freely. Look for a change in slack and a link that isn't bending freely.

Does the engine idle well? If there is additional internal friction it is going to idle low or stall.

Make sure the oil is fresh and up to the right level. You need to stay on top of the oil level - there isn't much in there.

Check the air filter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
While worn and dry chain can sap significant amounts of power, it doesn’t do that suddenly overnight. So it’s unlikely old chain is causing you recent issues.

Not really freely the engine is stressed or wanted to go to 2nd gear I think, As soon as I hit in the 20's km/hr/. I usually shift around 6-7rpm.
I think your issue is matter of technique. Since your missed shift, you’re being extra careful and using less throtttle and shifting sooner. So of course bike will be slow. Take look at this dyno-chart:

At 6-7k you’re only getting 16 out of 22bhp. And that’s at WOT, which I bet you’re not using.

Try this next time. When taking off, as soon as clutch is fully released, give it 100% wring-its-neck WOT!! DO NOT let go until you hit 10k-rpms!!! Then let up just tiny bit to shift and go WOT 100% again!!! Rev it up to 10k again!

Now is the bike slow and laggy?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also note that CBR doesn't have high-RPM power drop-off like Ninja 250. So you can rev it all way up to redline for fastest acceleration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts