Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone planned on adding some extra lighting to their bike. i've noticed from the side it isnt too noticeable other than the reflectors. even with the blinkers on.

i was thinking about running some led strips along the back seat as some running lights or some blinkers. maybe even some in the front. Has anyone used any led strips. ive personally never used em before. but they are cheap and i figured that would help stand out a little @ night.also would you think they look "tacky".

I found these on ebay as an example

The connection on the end might look a little odd. if anyone has used these before. could ya let me know if they looked right

Thought about putting some around the circled area in the pictures. & maybe a blinker on the mirror.

Thanks in Advance

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think it's a great idea! That would look sharp. Reminds me of the LED lights found on vehs like the Audi Q5 etc on the front, especially if placed on the front of the bike. Love to see what it looks like if u go ahead with it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Reflective lighting, yes; I'm gonna install rim reflectors. They really make the silhouette of the bike scream 'motorcycle ahead' at intersections etc..
Unobtrusive during day, important safety feature at night.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow I really love the idea for the turn signal... I will be working on this the next weekend that I have free time. I also noticed at night I am not very visible at all... It does have a bright headlight but the taillight/reflectors do not do enough justice. Will post pictures on the lighting as I go. Also HIDs helped alot to make me more "noticeable".

·
Registered
112 Posts
Really hoping for a Halo Kit or the Audi-esque setup for the CBR soon. Keeping my fingers crossed. Still up in the air about tail light though. Not really feeling popping leds all over the bike. Gonna try to go for a creeper attention grabber, instead of screaming "Here I am". I'm not necessarily into the lighting for all the safety reasons though :-D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I tapped the strips into the front turn signal, and ran the wiring along the frame and have a quick disconnect right right before the wiring turns away from the frame to go to the light.

tapping into the front lets the lights stay on when the bike is running and also acts as a turn signal. the back only acts as a turn signal. (also the front is alot easier to get to. just remove the front fairing and your there)

·
Registered
221 Posts
that is hot, i think i am inclined to try. The video is a little shaky, can you take some close up pics of the install, like wiring and connectors and how you tapped into the turn signals?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wow I really love the idea for the turn signal... I will be working on this the next weekend that I have free time. I also noticed at night I am not very visible at all... It does have a bright headlight but the taillight/reflectors do not do enough justice. Will post pictures on the lighting as I go. Also HIDs helped alot to make me more "noticeable".
What are HIDs?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks

that is hot, i think i am inclined to try. The video is a little shaky, can you take some close up pics of the install, like wiring and connectors and how you tapped into the turn signals?
Sry bout the shaky vid. i was late for work and im not on my bike too much at night. and i thought about yall.
lol

I used these to tap into the turn signals
Posi-Tap- No Crimp Tap

and these to make the splice right before the wiring turns from the frame to go to the lights
Posi-Lock - The Connector of Choice for OEM & Military Use

there is only 2 wires going to the signals the green is the ground on both signals. so its pretty simple to know which is which. There is already a quick disconnect b/w the oem signal and the frame; i tapped into the "frame" side so i wouldnt have to disconnect all of my lights if for some reason i had to remove that front fairing.

What are HIDs?
I was also wondering about this.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What are HIDs?
Replacement High Intensity Discharge (think BMW, etc.) headlight bulbs and supporting equipment (igniter, ballast, etc.):

Amazing quality kit:
HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

For the CBR 250R configure the kit like:

Much much more light, same heat, same power draw. 3000k is yellow, 4500 is dull white, 6000 is crystal white, 8000 is a hair blue, etc. The higher the colour temperature the less visible light you get on the road... i.e. a 3000k bulb gives WAY more visible light then the 8,000k bulb.

My 55w 3,000k DDM kit:

To replace the side lights in the headlight housing use these:
5 Ultra Bright SMT L.E.D. T10 Wedge LED Light - Automotive LED Lights - LEDLight

-Jamie M.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are they easy to install? Looks great
I would say they are very easy to install. No cutting of any wires, very limited electrical knowledge needed (if the kit doesn't light up after install, reverse the polarity of the headlight tap blades).

You'd need to remove the gauge cluster to get access to the bulb area, then just zip tie the ballast somewhere under one of the side panels, done! If you have a dust cap covering the back of your factory bulb enclosure then you might need to drill a hole in it to run the new high voltage bulb wires (that's the easiest way, but if you don't wanna drill then you can de-pin the high voltage wires and run them through the factory wiring holes. See this writeup I did if you don't wanna drill.)

-Jamie M.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check out the P3 lights (rear) and Photon Blasters (front) from Skene Design. Both lights feature a "conspicuity flicker". The lights appear solid when you're looking straight at them, but flicker slightly in peripheral vision, making you more visible.

I just got my Photons in today's mail; will put up video soon.

The company is run by an engineer. He was very responsive to my inquiries, and the Photons shipped the day I ordered them.

Package arrived comes with mounting kit specifically for the CBR250R (T14-S). Also has Posi-Tap and Posi-Twist connectors—no need to cut wires.

Great overview of both:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I dont know about going HID with the headlight...probably going to get some denali2 driving lights and figure where to install them around income tax time..but i did change out those ugly yellow looking position lights with these T10 15 SMD LED bulbs...1.3 watts.

sorry for the crappy pics..my camera phone is crap..the first thumbnail is with the led installed on the left and original bulb still in on the right..the 2nd thumbnail is with both led's installed

1 - 20 of 118 Posts