Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

getting my first bike VERY soon

excuse me if this is a complete NUB question...

when i go to get my bike, are the prices negotiable like when you buy a new car? I just bought a brand new Nissan Versa last year and got the price down a couple grand. can that be done with a bike? (obviously not a couple grand but a discount relative to the asking price) or is the MSRP pretty much final?

if i can negotiate it down, how would you recommend i do so? things to say/do etc? i need my 250 to be as cheap as possible considering i just turned 21 and my insurance quote for it is 98 bucks!

thanks guys!
ill soon be one of you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im waiting for mine (non-ABS) to come in today or tomorrow and I think my drive out price is 4550.00. They waived the freight fee but wouldnt remove the assembly fee which was about $170 i believe, I can live with that. If they do come off, it probly won't be much.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey earwigy,
I think that since this is a new bike and they are having trouble even getting them in the US... Its going to be hard to negotiate it down. I'd say to try you can really hesitate and maybe offer a lower price... Also for your insurance, I dont know where you live but RIDERS insurance has great prices.. I'm 21, insured on 2 bikes for 300/yr, one of them being a BMW...

Good luck on talking them down and Congrats, You'll love the cbr!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Its going to be hard to negotiate it down
I would say its impossible to negotiate it down, the demand is high and supply is very limited. So dealers even charge their additional fees on top of the MSRP. In California this adds totally $900-1400 of taxes and fees to MSRP depending on dealer's appetite.

·
745 Posts
I got the price down $300 off asking. if you decide to go for the extended warranty, definitely hammer them on that - it's almost all profit

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im waiting for mine (non-ABS) to come in today or tomorrow and I think my drive out price is 4550.00. They waived the freight fee but wouldnt remove the assembly fee which was about $170 i believe, I can live with that. If they do come off, it probly won't be much.
what state do you live in? and whats the assembly fee?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would say its impossible to negotiate it down, the demand is high and supply is very limited. So dealers even charge their additional fees on top of the MSRP. In California this adds totally $900-1400 of taxes and fees to MSRP depending on dealer's appetite.
thanks for the info! holy crap seriously? i get the tax because California likes to rape its people that way but what other fees?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey earwigy,
I think that since this is a new bike and they are having trouble even getting them in the US... Its going to be hard to negotiate it down. I'd say to try you can really hesitate and maybe offer a lower price... Also for your insurance, I dont know where you live but RIDERS insurance has great prices.. I'm 21, insured on 2 bikes for 300/yr, one of them being a BMW...

Good luck on talking them down and Congrats, You'll love the cbr!
oh well i have an accident on my record, it will be gone in February, and it was total garbage, my brake went out at a stop light and i couldnt stop my car so i crashed.

but my cousin is getting a bike with me and he is paying 78 full cover. we both have allstate because out fam works their and manipulated the system and got us over $100 off our full cover for our cars (my nissan versa and his S2000)

·
Registered
78 Posts
thanks for the info! holy crap seriously? i get the tax because California likes to rape its people that way but what other fees?
Here is mine (California):
3,999.00 MSRP
55.00 documents
488.26 sales tax
792.00 fright & setup >>>> that's where supply/demand comes into play. These bikes are never in stock and go fast :(
125.00 license fee
3.50 California tires fee
----
5,422.76 out of the door

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here is mine (California):
3,999.00 MSRP
55.00 documents
488.26 sales tax
792.00 fright & setup >>>> that's where supply/demand comes into play. These bikes are never in stock and go fast :(
125.00 license fee
3.50 California tires fee
----
5,422.76 out of the door
Ouch thats alot.
$1000 more than mine and i got the extra five years on the warranty
to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ouch thats alot.
$1000 more than mine and i got the extra five years on the warranty
to.
Yea... Sometimes when I read how much less others paid for their bikes, I feel myself totally ripped off :(

That's was a price to get my bike in May when first batch arrived in San Francisco Bay area.
But as I see now the other option was to wait until like end of June and travel ~60 miles on freeway back home from some remote dealership (Hollister, California). They got a large batch of bikes and was selling them ~$4900 out of the door and advertised it on local motorcycle forums.

That was not the option for me:(. I wanted bike sooner and have absolutely no skill or desire for 60 miles freeway ride home on my first bike. Simply would not be able to do this at that time - too dangerous.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yea... Sometimes when I read how much less others paid for their bikes, I feel myself totally ripped off :(

That's was a price to get my bike in May when first batch arrived in San Francisco Bay area.
But as I see now the other option was to wait until like end of June and travel ~60 miles on freeway back home from some remote dealership (Hollister, California). They got a large batch of bikes and was selling them ~$4900 out of the door and advertised it on local motorcycle forums.

That was not the option for me:(. I wanted bike sooner and have absolutely no skill or desire for 60 miles freeway ride home on my first bike. Simply would not be able to do this at that time - too dangerous.
i would'nt feel bad if i were you.i probably would have paid what you did:)it's worth it just for the mpg IMO.didnt want to
make you feel bad about it.
everything is cheaper in SC,except for our political bafoonery it;s a
great state to live in.quiet buffered from the shitty ecconomy:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
oh well i have an accident on my record, it will be gone in February, and it was total garbage, my brake went out at a stop light and i couldnt stop my car so i crashed.
I think you should make whomever responsibility it is to maintain your brakes and force them to pay the diffrance in insurance... total garbage indeed.;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
that the crasiest thing i ever heard.
if your driving a vehicle,it's YOUR responsibility
to make sure everything is working properly.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm in the SF Bay Area and everyone is quoting 5000-5400 OTD for these (no ABS).
A used one makes a lot of sense if you can find it. I'd take that one in Hollister for 3500 that a board member just sold if it was closer. The first service is several hundred dollars and when you consider that plus the slick tires/tight brakes/tight clutch you have to deal with on a new bike used seems like the way to go if you're not chomping at the bit to get on one right away.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I only paid $4600 OTD here but I still didn't like paying all the fees. In the end, I just couldn't bare to wait for months to get something. I'm a noob. I just took the MSF course about a month ago and didn't want to wait long after that to get on the rode and start getting some real-world experience.

I also kind of like the idea of having the bike since it was new. I'll probably never buy a new car so having a new bike was been pretty cool. It's nice knowing your the only one who's ever ridden it. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
hi mate, i would just pay the asking price, i have had my black one for 4 days now and paid $6000 total, so the $4500 you guys pay over there in the usa is kinda sweet..... though i am in australia and we only got colour tv last year :D

·
Registered
999 Posts
Mine was just shy of $5300. OTD in Petaluma, CA (Red, standard non-ABS brakes)

I have to wait until some time between Weds & Fri to pick it up but I'm already convinced it was money well spent and worth every penny for such a cool bike.

The smile that it's going to put on my face every day shall be priceless :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you took the MSF class, try asking the dealer to reimburse you for it.

I'm another California bay area resident dealing with ($3999 + ~$900S/H + taxes) OTD. :-(

One of the MSF instructors said to ask the dealer to reimburse you for taking the class. As I'm over 21, my class cost $250 which is 5% off. I think that's decent esp considering how hard these bikes are to come by still.

I've got a CBR on order due next week-ish an my dealer actually offered to reimburse me without having to ask for it.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
4299 plus tax, tags

My local dealer just got their first two CBR250Rs last week. They were quoting me MSRP plus $300 set up fee. I drove 160 miles out of town to get one sooner which was in the end of June, as they had two sitting on the floor that weren't spoken for. Their 7th and 8th bikes. They also charged me 300 over MSRP plus they bumped the title and tags $60 more than what it would have cost me to do it putting me out the door on a red non ABS at about $4700 with the tax and everything rolled into my loan. The price was over list because of the demand. I challenged them on the $300 but they weren't even close to budging on that as the next guy that walked in would surely buy it. The loan is what sealed the deal for me. Nothing down, no tax, tags, nothing. New gloves for me, new helmet for my son, all rolled into the loan. Signed my name and road it home for 1.9% for 3 years. Didn't have to pay a penny for 40 days. I had 1500 miles on it by then. If you wait until December to buy in the US, you might get a discount but right now, most places are getting more than list. I have seen ebay listings by dealers offering $200 off in Mississippi and Arkansas but you would never know if that is just a come on until you actually made the deal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts