Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Bike not start new battery 2012 cbr250r

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Viper0310 
#1 ·
when I charge battery back up I can get lights and fuel pump running but as soon as I push the start switch it clicks and I loose all my power. Will not turn over. Not sure on steps of troubleshooting the electrical so I can see if it is the starter any help would work

#6 ·
Maybe a bad new battery
"Maybe a bad new battery", It happened to me.
In my case I probably managed to destroy a new battery with incorrect charging, and then I continued for a while to look for a problem that did not exist (I mistakenly thought my new battery was working well).
If you have enough current for the fuel pump, try to starting the engine when you push the motorcycle (...And releases the clutch), if that succeeds to starting your engine, it is a clear sign of a weak battery. You may be measuring 12 volts, but it is unable to provide the amp required for the starter.
See a video I shot on the subject:
O.K. / Bad / Dead - Battery | How does it look like?

#3 ·
A volt meter will tell you what's going on.

Fully charge the battery, then check the voltage after sitting a couple of hours. It should still be 12.7V or more. Then check it as you hit the starter button. It should stay above 10V during cranking.

I'm guessing it's going to drop way off to nothing, which would mean the new battery is bad.

Not completely unusual.

#7 ·
Thanks I will get new battery and charge it before installing..but old battery charging to 12v
I also will install the start relay before putting new battery on and will follow up with new news and thanks for helping
Whoa...

I wouldn't assume anything - you need to confirm before buying parts.

Get a volt meter and do the procedure to test the battery first.

Don't buy a starter relay unless it's needed. Aftermarket ones can be junk, so keep the oem one unless you have confirmed it's bad. I didn't think they were a common problem on the CBR.

#8 ·
I'm thinking something wrong with battery. Charged for 2 days installed and turned key and battery goes to almost 0 tried jump start off car battery without car on and everything worked till I pressed start switch then just a click sound now no power it will not even jump start.

#11 ·
You are right, only in such a case the voltage of the battery will remain 0, because the acidic liquid is an electrolytic conductive liquid, and without the acidic liquid the electrical circuit remains open. In my opinion the leading (and unpleasant) option is that the NEW battery is not working properly in the sense that it is not giving the required current.

#12 ·
Thank you everyone for information but I did just buy new battery cause the one I had had bad cranking amps and this was the problem she is up and running now but now I disconnect battery and leave on charger cause I have a lot of aftermarket accessories on it that may have caused the issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.