Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the bike idle at 5k up to 6.5k on a start up after sitting for 2 years without no start and three new gas has done seafoam and Techron in the fast as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the bike has been sitting for 2 years with untreated gas for 2 years. So I cleaned the tank of rust changed the fuel pump and cleaned the fuel pump assembly. Got a new spark plug and new fuel injector. When I started the bike on its own power without any help from starter fluid, it revs will rev from 5,000 rpm up to 6,500 rpm on idle and it will not go down, unless I force the throttle down. I am assuming that is not normal for any stock bike. What can I do to fix that?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
so the bike has been sitting for 2 years with untreated gas for 2 years. So I cleaned the tank of rust changed the fuel pump and cleaned the fuel pump assembly. Got a new spark plug and new fuel injector. When I started the bike on its own power without any help from starter fluid, it revs will rev from 5,000 rpm up to 6,500 rpm on idle and it will not go down, unless I force the throttle down. I am assuming that is not normal for any stock bike. What can I do to fix that?
What do you mean by "force the throttle down"?

Check the throttle cable and throttle action, but also check for a vacuum leak between the throttle body and the cylinder head. An air leak will often cause high idling. Spraying carb cleaner around the clamps and joints while listening for a change in RPMs usually confirms it. If there is an idle speed adjustment try backing it down for now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by "force the throttle down"?

Check the throttle cable and throttle action, but also check for a vacuum leak between the throttle body and the cylinder head. An air leak will often cause high idling. Spraying carb cleaner around the clamps and joints while listening for a change in RPMs usually confirms it. If there is an idle speed adjustment try backing it down for now.
I will try both. What clamps and what joints do I spray carb cleaner at? Can you please be specific

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I will try both. What clamps and what joints do I spray carb cleaner at? Can you please be specific
You are looking for a leak between the throttle body and the cylinder head.

Check the clamps that mount the throttle body.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the bike to idle normal but when I blip the throttle it revs up and stays their and the rpms sometimes climb a little. Can it be a stick throttle grip or a stick cable, or a the butterfly on the throttle body needs to be cleaned?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I got the bike to idle normal but when I blip the throttle it revs up and stays their and the rpms sometimes climb a little. Can it be a stick throttle grip or a stick cable, or a the butterfly on the throttle body needs to be cleaned?
Best guess would be the throttle mechanism is hanging-up somewhere - a kinked or mis-routed cable possibly.

You could disconnect the throttle cable at the throttle body and work the throttle to see if it operates smoothly, if it does it would suggest the throttle body is causing the problem. Make sure the linkage on the throttle body snaps back when you manually open it with the cable disconnected.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
cam you send me a picture if the linkage that is on the throttle body?
The linkage is the part at the top right of this photo where the cables attach.

The large spring around the shaft pulls the throttle plate closed when you let off the throttle grip. Make sure the spring is in good condition and the throttle plate is closing fully.

Check that the cable moves both directions freely.

Your problems should be either one or the other.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think your IACV should be at fault here. If it's stuck and isn't operator as it should, your engine will have trouble maintaining IDLE rpm. Remove the IACV, or tap it mildly after turning off the engine and see if it helps. Usually, it helps the stuck IACV spring back to life.

Cheers!
VJ

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think your IACV should be at fault here. If it's stuck and isn't operator as it should, your engine will have trouble maintaining IDLE rpm. Remove the IACV, or tap it mildly after turning off the engine and see if it helps. Usually, it helps the stuck IACV spring back to life.

Cheers!
VJ
Sorry being so late but I found the issue I had one big piece of a blue shop towel stuck in the butterfly the throttle body and it would keep it open which caused it to idle so high. ABC's Thank You B7ACKTHORN

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
So did you determine that it was the fuel pump that caused the no-start problem initially, and the aftermarket pump was bad as well?

What pump did you end up with?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So did you determine that it was the fuel pump that caused the no-start problem initially, and the aftermarket pump was bad as well?

What pump did you end up with?
I think the problem was that I did not put a rubber O-Ring in the fuel assembly system where the fuel pump sits . I ended up getting a new fuel pump because it had a review that when that customer bought it and installed the pump on his 2011 honda cbr250r it started right up on first try. Before that person bike did not start.

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
What dose "siting doffre" mean?

I had brain surgery last Feb. (Craniotomy), to remove brain tumors and so I don't understand much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What dose "siting doffre" mean?

I had brain surgery last Feb. (Craniotomy), to remove brain tumors and so I don't understand much.
Hey, hope you are well and recovering well and fast. I missed spelled ( stood for) and wrote sitting doffre by accident and I can not change it.

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
Thank's for the well wishes.

It's a tough road. I have Stage 4 melanoma. Aside from the Craniotomy, I've had lots of MRI's and Stereotactic radiosurgery. Also taking daily chemo pills. One of the worst side effects are headache and fatigue. I can't ride my motorcycles yet.

Some days I do pretty well and can read and understand questions (like today for example), other days it's difficult to read but the most simple sentences.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts