Tested with my Tomtom GPS today - Here are my results:

Bike: 55 kph = Real speed= 50 kph
65 kph = Real speed= 60 kph
75 kph = Real speed= 70 kph
90 kph = Real speed= 81 kph
100 kph = Real speed= 90 kph
120 kph= Real speed= 110 kph

Have anyone did a gps test on 130 kph?

mph to km/h and km/h to mph Online Calculator -Converter (and km/hour to mph Conversion Chart / Table )
Your GPS will not be as accurate as the speedometer, I drive cars, vans, trucks, pretty much anything with wheels for a living and I have found that the GPS reading has at least a 3 to 5 km/h difference,
I believe the only real way to get an accurate test is to get a radar gun like the police use, which is **** near impossible in Australia, I dunno about anywhere else tho :)

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Actually, due to law, your speedometer has to be optimistic. The usual is 8-10%.

A vehicle cannot be released that can show less than the actual speed, that is law, as the speed depends on other varients, tyres for example, they have to show a faster speed than the actual speed.

·
Banned
104 Posts

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Incorrect.

UNECE Regulation 39. In the European Union.

Australia followed suit in 2006.

As of the 1st of July, 2006; all new model motor vehicles in
Australia must comply with ADR 18/03 which is aligned with UNECE
Regulation 39/00 (Rev 1.).

In terms of accuracy, it requires that vehicle speeds be checked at
40, 80 and 120 km/h (as appropriate to the vehicle - the highest
speed is only required if the vehicle's maximum speed is faster than
150). The speedometer must not indicate a speed lower than the true
speed.

That is law.

You may note the first two posters, Kim and CBRDownunder are based in the EU (European Union) and Australia.

Under law their bikes cannot show a speed that is less than the actual speed.

The law being UNECE Reg. 39 in Kim's case, and ADR 18/03 in CBRDownunder's case.

Comprende morphman?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I tend to drive 5 -10 mph over the speed limit anyway and if my radar detector starts beeping in my vehicle I slow down. So If the CBR250R reads I'm going a little faster than I actually am, that will suite me just fine because I cant put a radar detector on it, so it will probably keep me from getting pulled over and ticketed ;) Kinda like setting the time on your alarm clock ahead 10 minutes to trick yourself every morning.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Here in fact is UNECE Reg 39/00 in PDF form.

The legal requirements for speedo testing and error are section 5.

http://live.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r039r1e.pdf

Here is the Australian Legal document with reference to such, making it illegal for a vehicle to indicate a lower than real speed, as per UNECE.

http://locost7.info/files/other/adr/ADR+18-03+[FINAL+FRLI].pdf

He's not correct. Read what it says..
Yes, read it:

The European standard does not allow underestimation of speed.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Incorrect.

UNECE Regulation 39. In the European Union.

Comprende morphman?
Yes, I understand perfectly,, It is you who does not comprehend what you are reading. Go back and read what I said.. You said it was a "LAW' and I said no it is NOT a LAW. You're still wrong and I'm still correct..

UNECE Regulations are NOT LAWS.. They are voluntary in nature. They are agreements. Manufactures DO NOT have to follow them.

Comprende Redline?;)

·
Banned
104 Posts
Here in fact is UNECE Reg 39/00 in PDF form.

The legal requirements for speedo testing and error are section 5.

http://live.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r039r1e.pdf

Here is the Australian Legal document with reference to such, making it illegal for a vehicle to indicate a lower than real speed, as per UNECE.

http://locost7.info/files/other/adr/ADR+18-03+[FINAL+FRLI].pdf

Yes, read it:

The European standard does not allow underestimation of speed.
I did read it. You are the one who is confused my friend. "Standards" are not laws. Again, UNECE Regulations are NOT laws. There is nothing legally binding which forces manufactures to comply. They are voluntary. Manufactures may comply if they like but you said it was a law.. I said it was not.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Again, UNECE Regulations are NOT laws. There is nothing legally binding which forces manufactures to comply.
Without complying, by passing the regulations act they cannot be released.

They are voluntary. Manufactures may comply if they like
Without complying they cannot release their vehicle.

but you said it was a law.. I said it was not.
I'm afraid you're clutching at straws MM.

UNECE Regulations are tightly woven into the regulatory systems of most Contracting Parties to the 1958 Agreement such that the integration of UNECE rule language into local legislation is generally assured. For example, the UNECE regulatory process has been integrated directly into EU rulemaking such that the use of UNECE Regulations, where applicable, is often mandatory under EU law.

Without meeting these standards a vehicle cannot be released in the EU or Australia. In the UK The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001permits single vehicles to be approved. As with the UNECE regulation and the EC Directives, the speedometer must never show an indicated speed less than the actual speed.

Without passing these regulations, they are not able to be released.

·
Banned
104 Posts
I'm afraid you're clutching at straws MM.

UNECE Regulations are tightly woven into the regulatory systems of most Contracting Parties to the 1958 Agreement such that the integration of UNECE rule language into local legislation is generally assured. For example, the UNECE regulatory process has been integrated directly into EU rulemaking such that the use of UNECE Regulations, where applicable, is often mandatory under EU law.
I'm afraid you are being very disingenuous. You have the nerve to copy and paste and than edit the above statement to exclude the VERY FIRST phrase of the paragraph which reads as follows " Although voluntary" NECE Regulations are tightly woven into the regulatory systems......

You are dishonorable and I have absolutely no interest in reading or responding to another word you say.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I did read it. You are the one who is confused my friend. "Standards" are not laws. Again, UNECE Regulations are NOT laws. There is nothing legally binding which forces manufactures to comply. They are voluntary. Manufactures may comply if they like but you said it was a law.. I said it was not.
Umm, the point in the thread was if speedometers over estimate or not. Not if it's the law that they do.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
You have the nerve to copy and paste and than edit the above statement to exclude the VERY FIRST phrase of the paragraph which reads as follows " Although voluntary" NECE Regulations are tightly woven into the regulatory systems......

You are dishonorable and I have absolutely no interest in reading or responding to another word you say.
MM, The UNECE has 56 member states, including the USA and Canada. It is not set as the law to govern automobiles in all its member state.

It is however used as the law that governs automobiles in the EU, and as of 2006 it is used as the law that governs automobiles in Australia. It is voluntary in that all member states are not forced to abide by it, as the USA and Canada have chosen not to.

Both of us are right, and both of us are wrong. It is the law in the EU and Australia, it isn't the law in the US and Canada.

I apologize for not stating that in my original post, but as the two posters were from the EU and Australia, I gave the answer for both those regions.

Just don't stress yourself out too much over it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i trust my gps readings now, because before i gps it :) i noticed i was allways driving slower than everybody else on highway.

So when i now drive at 120kph according to spedoo, i follow the pace.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Umm, the point in the thread was if speedometers over estimate or not. Not if it's the law that they do.
It is very important to understand what we are reading. The inability of people to comprehend what they are reading leads to unnecessary confusion.

The point of this thread was not as you say. The thread starter already stated the speedo is inaccurate, in the very first post. Kim was not asking "if the speedo is off".

In addition, the point that I was responding to WAS INDEED the claim that there was some law which mandated speedo's reading over the actual speed.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Kim, I noticed as well I tend to lag behind others when group riding and when I look at the speedometer I am doing the speed limit. I remembered your post regarding gps/spedometer readings. BTW I normally do not lag behind. I'm starting to question the accuracy of my bikes speedometer. When I questioned the others and the speed they were riding I concluded my speedometer may be off. Going to have this checked out with first service

1 - 20 of 96 Posts