Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just bought my 2013 Honda cbr250r about a month ago and just got my motorcycle license and went to go to work and the bike overheated and now wont start. Checks the coolant and it is good and got a new battery for it but she still wont start. I put the kill switch to run and she hums for the fuel injection and I give it some throttle and she will get some rpms up but not enough to start.
Any help will be appreciated. right now I feel like I wasted alot of money chasing my dream please help if u can thanks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
A little more info please.
How do you know it overheated?
Was the radiator cooling fan working at the time or not?
Have you checked all of your fuses and accessible wiring connections yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little more info please.
How do you know it overheated?
Was the radiator cooling fan working at the time or not?
Have you checked all of your fuses and accessible wiring connections yet?
The temp gauge was full and I lost all power like the engine stalled and part of my boot next to the engine started to melt. The fan I think is part of the problem I believe it is the motor for the fan is one of my problems. I checked the fuses and the wire connections are still good

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Is the coolant overflow bottle at the right level? Does the radiator have coolant up to the top of the neck when you take the cap off?

Have you checked the oil level?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The coolant is at the appropriate level and the oil was changed the day before it overheated at a bike shop for the state inspection and it passed the inspection

·
Registered
192 Posts
How long did you ride bike with coolant gauge showing overheating ? Proper response to that condition is to immediately pull over and turn off engine to let it cool. Wait at least 30-minutes before tryjng to run bike again. If it overheats again, immediately stop and let it cool.

1. Did you check fuses like this?

If not, you can't be sure ALL fuses are operational.

2. Next is to determine if your fan motor works by applying power to it directly

3. measure your coolant temp-sensor to verify it's sending proper temperature data to ECU. Simulate hot coolant to see if ECU turns on fan.

4. remove thermostat and do boiling test to verify it operates properly

5. do compression test to determine health of engine innards. You may have fried valve or blown head-gasket.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The temp gauge was full and I lost all power like the engine stalled and part of my boot next to the engine started to melt. The fan I think is part of the problem I believe it is the motor for the fan is one of my problems. I checked the fuses and the wire connections are still good
The fact that you had the oil changed the day before this happened is a bit concerning. The principal of "Occam's Razor" suggests that it may be significant in your troubles. The first thing I would do is drain the oil and check to make sure whoever did the oil change didn't install the oil filter backwards. It happens. If it is installed correctly then you can just refill the oil to the proper level, but it's an easy check and will eliminate one possibility.
The cooling fan is quite noisy when it comes on and it's a sound that's hard to ignore. If you didn't hear it operating at any time while the bike was overheating then it should be one of the first things to check. The fan will continue spinning even after the bike is shut off if the engine is hot enough, so if you didn't hear it after you lost power that's a big clue that it, or the thermostat, wasn't operating properly.
jkv357 and DannoXYZ's suggestions are a great place to start in identifying the cause. If you follow their advice and do those checks, from the easiest to the more difficult, hopefully an answer will start to appear before you really have to get into the weeds.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The fact that you had the oil changed the day before this happened is a bit concerning. The principal of "Occam's Razor" suggests that it may be significant in your troubles. The first thing I would do is drain the oil and check to make sure whoever did the oil change didn't install the oil filter backwards. It happens. If it is installed correctly then you can just refill the oil to the proper level, but it's an easy check and will eliminate one possibility.
The cooling fan is quite noisy when it comes on and it's a sound that's hard to ignore. If you didn't hear it operating at any time while the bike was overheating then it should be one of the first things to check. The fan will continue spinning even after the bike is shut off if the engine is hot enough, so if you didn't hear it after you lost power that's a big clue that it, or the thermostat, wasn't operating properly.
jkv357 and DannoXYZ's suggestions are a great place to start in identifying the cause. If you follow their advice and do those checks, from the easiest to the more difficult, hopefully an answer will start to appear before you really have to get into the weeds.
This came to mind as well when he mentioned a recent oil change.

The oil filter can be installed backwards, which blocks the flow of oil to the engine. Even experienced mechanics have done it. I'd pull the oil filter cover and look at the filter. Take pictures as you go.

Hopefully not the cause.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
88 Posts
The first thing I would do is drain the oil and check to make sure whoever did the oil change didn't install the oil filter backwards.
I think it's easy to check without disassembling anything. As you start the engine the oil should be disappear from the test window, because if the oil pump opening is blocked, the oil will remain in the oil carter.
Of course, such a test is a matter of One Second, and the engine must not be allowed to work without oil.

The cooling fan is quite noisy?
My fan is very quiet. My RPM is lower than required?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts