Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first Honda cbr250 1989, having great fun working on the bike and facing the challenge head on. However this ones a little over my head.

Getting the bike running and after a carbie clean I noticed vapor coming from the exhaust with water dripping out the bottom, this time round I started the bike with the radiator cap off and all of a sudden no water, no vapor but I thought I smelt exhaust just didn't see any bubbles. Then same run I put the cap back on and vapor again.

I'm thinking it's a head gasket, well hopping.
Any idea helps before I start ripping the engine apart
Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Hi BigRed and welcome to the forum.
This site however is dedicate to the 2011- single cyclinder model of the CBR so you might not find many people here who are familiar with your bike.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
88 Posts
If the problem of warming detected early, and you stopped riding, I'm guessing no significant damage is caused. From what you'll described, it is possible that the "gasket" has been failed. Replacing the head gasket is not considered a complicated operation, but certainly not suitable or recommended for an amateur mechanic at the beginning of his journey. Maybe other gasket failed? I suggest you go to the garage, it is advisable to tow(By Professional) the motorcycle to prevent overheating and further damage. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi BigRed and welcome to the forum.
This site however is dedicate to the 2011- single cyclinder model of the CBR so you might not find many people here who are familiar with your bike.
If the problem of warming detected early, and you stopped riding, I'm guessing no significant damage is caused. From what you'll described, it is possible that the "gasket" has been failed. Replacing the head gasket is not considered a complicated operation, but certainly not suitable or recommended for an amateur mechanic at the beginning of his journey. Maybe other gasket failed? I suggest you go to the garage, it is advisable to tow(By Professional) the motorcycle to prevent overheating and further damage. Good luck.
I'm happy to say it's not my first time in the rodeo, more just my first time doing a half tear apart of an engine

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
88 Posts
I'm happy to say it's not my first time in the rodeo, more just my first time doing a half tear apart of an engine
If you have the right attitude and willingness to deal with the situation, go for it, there is always somewhere the "first time". Just note that your model is not covered here in the forum.

·
Registered
86 Posts
White smoke is coolant, headgasket, cracked head, maybe something easier to fix.

Blue smoke is oil, black is fuel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts