Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all.

I purchased a buddy's cbr250r that had been dropped previously. I picked it up for pretty cheap, and started to strip it down to do a naked build.

Here is the progress I've made so far. Still have a couple things left I would like to clean up, but this is my first take on working on a motorcycle so I'm taking it pretty slow.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Alloy wheel

Things done so far:

-Oil change + new filter and gasket
-New chain, and sprockets with changed ratio. Running a 13/42. Much better for street riding.
-7 deg. clip ons with adjustable shorty levers
- Fender eliminator w/ integrated tail light
- 8" headlight w/ turn signals
- Custom side panels that I made. (still working on something better)

------------------------------------------------------------

Things to do:

- new tires
- bleed the brakes and replace brake lines and pads
- make a speedometer mount (currently working on)
- make a mini headlight fairing (working on that as well)

Let me know if y'all have any questions or advice! I'll be posting more pictures soon.

Thanks,

Jo

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I like the bike, but, I noticed that the stock horn is still there. I have replaced those with Freeway Blaster Low Note horns (no change of wiring and a lot louder, about $14 from Amazon).

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like it! I want to do a similar thing to the side plastics as well!

...and yes, replace the horn, I have the same freeway blaster, definitely worth it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I made the side pieces out of sheet metal. I made the template by eyeballing it and shaping it into cardboard. I still would like to make some that are a little bit better, but for the first cuts I am pretty pleased with them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycling

Got the bike out during this amazing weather today.

I was toying around with some ideas, and I made a little headlight fairing the other morning. I need to cut another one, but I made this one for fun to see how it would even look. I like the look, just need to cut one that fits better!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I like the look with the small headlight fairing.

Ditch that helmet. Get a decent full face helmet. There's no protection for your face at all with a bubble shield (and too much distortion). A large percentage of impacts to the helmet are taken in the lower front chin bar.

I've smashed a few helmets in my day, and i can tell you I wouldn't look as good as I do if I didn't have a full face helmet on when I punched a deer on the Interstate. The scrapes ran from the lower left chin bar across the shield to the upper right.

No way a bubble shield would have stayed in place for that - which leaves your chin and nose to take the abrasion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK - good.

I still might ditch the bubble visor though...
I've tried multiple full face helmets, and the biltwell ****** with bubble visor is by far my favorite. No distortion at all, and great visibility. So I'm not sure which bubble shields you have tried in the past, but I love mine and it looks pretty wild.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the bike out for a good ride yesterday with some buddies. The bike is super fun to ride, and I get a ton of comments about the look of a naked 250r.

Woke up this morning to a flat rear tire...guess it's time for new ones anyway.

·
Registered
228 Posts
To be honest that's properly the best "oh dear I've dropped it and cant afford the faring, lets make a street fighter" conversion I have seen.

The infill panels around the tank and the black scheme cover a multitude of sins and cover the "bike with parts removed" look.

Reactions: rdxj and Keith

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so what kind of sheet metal did you use for the body panels and for the headlight fairing? ...you notice any difference in wind with it on now?
I used pretty thin sheet metal. I cannot remember the gauge of the metal to be exact. But I bought multiple sheets from home depot, and ended up going with the most flexible one for the sides and the headlight fairing, and I think 16 gauge for the speedo mount. I cut out templates using cardboard, then cut the metal using a beverly shear, filed the edges, sanded, and painted. Still have not mounted the speedometer yet, but will post pics of that soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To be honest that's properly the best "oh dear I've dropped it and cant afford the faring, lets make a street fighter" conversion I have seen.

The infill panels around the tank and the black scheme cover a multitude of sins and cover the "bike with parts removed" look.
Thank you! To be honest, I was close to replacing the fairings. But, I always loved naked bikes (ducati scrambler, etc) and wanted to try my hand at a proper naked build, since a lot of these that I have seen look like you said...a bike with parts removed.

It is still not 100% where I want it, but I am still working on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all.

I purchased a buddy's cbr250r that had been dropped previously. I picked it up for pretty cheap, and started to strip it down to do a naked build.

Here is the progress I've made so far. Still have a couple things left I would like to clean up, but this is my first take on working on a motorcycle so I'm taking it pretty slow.
View attachment 38042

Things done so far:

-New chain, and sprockets with changed ratio. Running a 13/42. Much better for street riding.
  • Fender eliminator w/ integrated tail light
  • 8" headlight w/ turn signals
  • Custom side panels that I made. (still working on something better)

Things to do:

• new tires
  • bleed the brakes and replace brake lines and pads
  • make a speedometer mount (currently working on)
  • make a mini headlight fairing (working on that as well)

Let me know if y'all have any questions or advice! I'll be posting more pictures soon.

Thanks,

Jo
sproket 13/48 is the stock and you have changed it to 13/24 any diff in top end ...!!! how much can you clock =..?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all.

View attachment 38042

Things done so far:

• Fender eliminator w/ integrated tail light
  • 8" headlight w/ turn signals
  • Custom side panels that I made. (still working on something better)

Things to do:

• new tires
  • bleed the brakes and replace brake lines and pads
  • make a speedometer mount (currently working on)
  • make a mini headlight fairing (working on that as well)

Thanks,

Jo
I know this is an old thread, but I like the headlight you used. Any info on where you got it and what was involved in changing it from the original?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts