Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting closer to returning to the biking world.
Gained my learners permit on Friday and have booked some training in for Wednesday.
Went out today and bought some riding gear :-

Helmet AGV K4
AGV K4 Creature Helmet 2011 - Red - Bikebiz - New & Used Yamaha Kawasaki Aprilia Motorcycles, Motorbike Parts & Accessories I paid more than this in a shop......$359 :-( but at least i was able to try it on ;-)

Jacket Rjays Sport II (leather padded) bit hot for summer really.
RJays Sport II Jacket

Gloves Motodry Nitro with carbon knuckle protectors Moto National Accessories - NITRO Glove (Octane)

Anybody got any good idea's for boot's i used to wear Doc Marten's but people are warning of lace's getting caught on on pegs etc.

I have tried these on and they feel comfortable, they have a zip plus velcro are leather and seem well made.
RJays Fuel Boots

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
529 Posts
My "go-to" boots right now are Icon Tarmac boots. They are affordable, quick and easy to put on (they have velcro enclosures), are warm, have lots of support and protection, and are very comfortable. I even use them as winter boots to shovel snow!

Icon Tarmac Ventilated Boots - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

But they are NOT waterproof. So in my quest to find a good waterproof boot - I purchased a pair of Icon Accelerant waterproof boots. These ones are similar to the Tarmac boots - but have laces - so aren't as convenient to slip on. When I first got them, I walked in water and they appeared to be waterproof. But one ride later in the rain revealed they weren't waterproof at all - despite wearing rain-gear that covered the full upper portion of the boot. I haven't used them since.

Icon Accelerant Waterproof Boots - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

I then purchased a pair of River Road Boulevard waterproof boots. I've worn these boots in hard driving rain. They have been completely waterproof at all times. But they should be - they feel alot like thinly disguised wellington rubber boots. Like rubber boots - they are easy to slip on - but they also lack support and protection. If it is raining - or I'm touring with the CBR250R - these are the boots I wear. However, I am looking for a boot with much more support and protection than these.

River Road Boulevard Waterproof Boots - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

I am now considering the Sidi Canyon boots. Pretty expensive. But a nice buckle system, lots of support and protection - and supposedly "waterproof". I tried on a pair and they feel quite comfortable. My local shop owner wears them when touring and claims they have been completely waterproof in hard driving rain.

Sidi Canyon Gore-Tex Boots - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Mike

·
Registered
117 Posts
I went through a few pairs of boots ordering them until I found ones that fit right and felt comfortable. I ended up with the ICON superduty 4. They have been great so far and have a workboot look to them that is more my style. For gloves i have ICON pursuits, jacket Joe Rocket Hemp... and for leg protection I have Icon Strikeforce knee and shin pads I wear under my pants since I have short legs and it is hard for me to find pants with armor built in where the armor sits where it should.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have a pair of vega touring boots that are extemely comfortable and easy to get in and out of and were less expensive than other boots in its class about 79.99. got some cortek jeans with sewn in protection in the knees, hips..very comfortable even at high temps..glad to hear you are getting back at it...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don't get short boots, your trousers ride up and leave bare skin showing. Uncomfortable, cold and if it rains,wet feet.

Also check that the velcro wont come undone when walking/ leaning forwards. My Alpine stars (short) do this and it's a pain. I think I am going to try some Alpine stars SMX-5.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I went with these 'cause I didn't want "boot" looking shoes:

Shift Racing Kicker Shoes. First choice was all black but couldn't find any my size...

·
Registered
221 Posts
You can pick up the AGV k3's for around $120 and the k4 should be around $240 from PS 6months ago but I think the stopped stocking AGV

I love my Sidi Vertigos, Purchased them from USA including shipping for like $320 compared to $540-$600 down under. Also got extra pair of soles and toe sliders as they are replacable.

If your happy with buying over seas, youll be saving a **** load but returns will be hard

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies and suggestions. We certainly pay a lot more in Australia for motorcycle gear.....and the bikes come to that.
I like the idea of lower type boot similar to the Shift Racing Kicker Shoes or Icon's for summer as long as they feel strong and "protective".
I don't mind ordering most things on line to save money - like parts but with clothes and helmets i prefer to try them on first.
Robbo14 the price of the K4 locally in Perth is $399 - $240 sounds much better !
Thanks again.
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The more fittings, seams, and openings, the more opportunity there is for water to seep in.

At home in NZ, and when I was in the UK, rigger boots did it for me. They are pull on leather boots that that cover about a third of the lower leg, so named because they were standard issue to oil rig workers. If the steel toe cap is internal they look ok general wear.

The construction is simple; just a couple of seams and no fittings. Slap on some leather dressing from time to time and your feet will stay dry in a downpour.

A cheap'n'cheerful idea that works.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had an issue with the shift fuels... the inside of the tongue has a knot as a manufacturing flaw that will cause pain in the ankle. tried 2 pairs and had the same result. I do not know about the kickers though. My experience with the fuels turned me off of the shift boots.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The first thing I look for in a pair of boots is their ability to be resoled. If not, I don't even consider them. This is especialy important if you do any walking around in your boots. Also, avoid like the plague any boot that has hollow soles, usually real cheap boots. I paid $80 for a pair once and figured even though it was not resoleable, if it lasted me a couple years it was worth it. Didn't even last one three week tour, where I was getting of the bike and hiking around. Stepping on one sharp rock cut the ridiculously thin hollow sole and rendered it useless due to water entry. Remember... if it's made in China, it's made to look good, as though it should last, but it never will. That is my experience with boots. Currently I use Sidi bots on their second set of soles. I had a pair of Corbin boots (no longer made) that lasted me 15 years and several sets of soles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went with RST Tracktek Boots. They go for $199 here in Australia. they aren't waterproof but very very good in wet weather. Very nice in summer and breathe alot. Metal toe slider and a good sole. No buckles or anything protruding on your inside foot so no getting caught on your foot pegs. Love em and I give em 10 out of 10.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I have the waterproof version of these on order from Riders Discount to replace my 5 year old Nitro touring boots. The Nitros are OK, but lack serious protection.

Send a PM to Riders Discount for some great prices.

Jay

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
^^^second that. sidi makes great affordable boots.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've got a 6 year old pair of Triumph Adventure boots that I like a lot. Look good enough, comfort is great on the bike...not bad off the bike, protection is good for a walkable boot. Triumph seems to have some quality gear at non-exorbitant (Ducati) prices.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts