Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased my 2012 in August of 2012. It still has the original brake fluid in it.

Normal brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water that can lead to rust of steel components in the brake system.

Is this a concern on the CBR250R? I live in a very humid climate with frequent temperature swings that can cause cycles of warm+humid air entering a closed space and then it can form water condensation inside when the temperature falls.

I'm wondering if it would be prudent to replace the brake fluid sometime this spring at the beginning of the northern hemisphere riding season.

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
The O/M maintenance schedule calls for replacing brake fluid every 2 years or every 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I recently replaced the brake fluid on my 250R @ 12,500 miles, just over 2 years old... I'd recommend doing it now before you put the bike up for winter storage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I saw the 2 year replacement recommendation in my manual also. After reading this thread I wonder if the 2 year period is from point of manufacture. I did purchase a 2013 in 2014. So do I change the fluid next year or 2 years of actual use?

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
I saw the 2 year replacement recommendation in my manual also. After reading this thread I wonder if the 2 year period is from point of manufacture. I did purchase a 2013 in 2014. So do I change the fluid next year or 2 years of actual use?
If a bike is still new sitting in a crate in a warehouse for a year, I wouldn't necessarily count that time as part of the 2 years.
I would think that Honda is referring to 2 years of actual use, since the other replacement interval is "or 12,000 miles (19,200 km)". In between those intervals, they have visual inspection of the brake fluid @ 4000 & 8000 miles listed on the maintenance schedule... if the fluid color is becoming dark, it certainly can't hurt to change it sooner than the 2 year/ 12,000 mile recommendation.

Also, you want to use only DOT 4 brake fluid.

·
Registered
256 Posts
in india non bs cbr comes with dot 3 and abs one with dot 4. ideal interval is 15000 km else say 10,000 miles.. or on a good side. keep it once a year..

i have one question from senior guys has anyone tried Dot 5 ?
is it safe ?
any performance improvement ?

·
Registered
619 Posts
in india non bs cbr comes with dot 3 and abs one with dot 4. ideal interval is 15000 km else say 10,000 miles.. or on a good side. keep it once a year..

i have one question from senior guys has anyone tried Dot 5 ?
is it safe ?
any performance improvement ?
Do NOT put DOT 5 fluid in your CBR250R; it is NOT compatible with what is in there!

(I wish there had been a different designation for this fluid; DOT 3 and DOT 4 are compatible, but DOT 5 is not.)

(Interestingly, DOT 5.1 is compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4 . . . .)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Do NOT put DOT 5 fluid in your CBR250R; it is NOT compatible with what is in there!

(I wish there had been a different designation for this fluid; DOT 3 and DOT 4 are compatible, but DOT 5 is not.)

Long as its 5.1 you are good to go. ;)

But like seriously, I feel like brake fluid is like updates to a program now. Come'on, 5.1 guys.. -,-

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I was just wondering then, how many of you guys also change the brake fluid in your car, and if so, how often?
I do it at least every year. If I can see moisture on the bottom of the fill cap, it's time for me to flush the system. Moisture is the bane of braking, and the last thing you want is to lose your brakes in the middle of a panic stop.

·
Super Moderator
2,027 Posts
I was just wondering then, how many of you guys also change the brake fluid in your car, and if so, how often?
I broke down and did it last summer on my '99 Miata. It still has the original brake pads. Of course,it doesn't get driven a lot; it just turned 44K miles.

·
Registered
256 Posts

glad i asked before doing anything foolish...

Long as its 5.1 you are good to go. ;)

will get 5.1 and move to steel braided lines for front..

But like seriously, I feel like brake fluid is like updates to a program now. Come'on, 5.1 guys.. -,-
i cannot agree more.. previously the companies used to sell same product and increase quality without any name change these days they change a bit but definitely change a name... oops the version... 3 , 4, 5.1 lol...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same question because I only rode very few miles in the last two years.
I know the service manual says change brake fluid every two years or 24.000 kilometers.

My last brake fluid change was exactly two years ago. But I rode only 2,500 kilometers (1,500 miles) since that. The color of the fluid in the two brake fluid cases are still looking fresh and new.

Brake fluids on all my cars I owned were only changed every six to ten years, that's why I'm a bit curious.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I typically go by the color. It starts out clear, and slowly turns yellow and eventually black if totally neglected.

As long as it's clear and not yellow-ish I'd say you are fine.

It's kinda like oil change intervals. Manufactures need to pick a number or time that covers all the bases and variables, though unlike oil changes they seem to err on the side of lower intervals with brake fluid.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with jkv357. The fluid gets progressively darker / more yellow as it absorbs water. If it is still clear and light, it's fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As a thumb rule, always replace brake fluids every year if you live in a humid temperature setting. Brake fluids are hygroscopic, they will eventually suck water out of atmosphere and will corrode the turn golden, you know that's trouble. Brake fluids should be as clear as pre cum. If it turns yellow or reddish, you know it's time to replace.

Cheers!
VJ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts