1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
50 Posts
the idea sound cool, but consider this for a second.

1) Remember how you always have excellent battery life when you first get your mobile phone and then after a couple of months it's down to half of that. This would be the same.

2) With a fossil fuel driven vehicle you can always get some fuel and it's usually fast. If you run out of "fuel" with this thing, what do you do? Get a hundred hamsters with hamster wheels to charge your battery as you ride... NO. you push the bike to somewhere where there's a power outlet and you plug it in. But wait, unlike regular fossil fuel vehicles, this does not take only 5 mins to fill up (which will last you for at least 100 miles). it would take you a bloody day to charge the battery and then you can only go for another 100 miles?

3) I didn't have sound in the video, but from what i've seen and heard from electric cars/motorcycles is that they are quiet.... So, you are cruising down the road in stealth mode (which would be cool if you're a ninja, but sadly we're not) and a car turns right into your path. You manage to avoid the collision using your crazy ass ninja skills, just to have the same happen from the other side!! No amount of ninja skills are gonna help you this time and you die.... My point is, cagers doesn't see you everytime , even with a 250 they can hear coming for miles!!! Can you imagine how paranoid you will have to be on one of these!

4) I can't find a picture of one that's plasti-dipped!!!

So no, I would not buy one!

Would you?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think its fine if you just ride local or as a second bike. If they can get the range to 300 miles and more charging stations pop up Id buy one.
For some reason Ebikers have to much common sense to plastic-dip, thankfully.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I could see riding an electric if it could do what my CBR250R can do and still complete my round trip commute of 80 miles with some range to spare. Brammo claims 100 miles but I think this is like all the electric vehicles, when they state the maximum range it is calculated at the best case which is 30 mph average speed. I could build a comparable conversion for $6000 plus a donor bike but would hate to buy $4000 worth of batteries and have them go bad in 1 year. $18,000 is very pricey. I wonder if Brammo will offer a lifetime warranty on the batteries like Hyundai does for it's hybrid Sonata. I think that is what it will take before they get any sales at that price.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I could probably get by with my current commute and an electric motorbike. But I'd need another vehicle for trips and the cost of entry just seems too high for me right now.

The CBR250 is really versatile and is a great bike that currently is my only vehicle.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I love Brammo. I've been eyeing the Empulse since its announcement a couple years ago. It is a beautiful notion, especially living in a state in the top 10 for nuclear power production.

It suffers the problem mentioned above that current battery technology has a short service life. Cars using Li-ion cells are routinely quoted as needing replacements between 5-10 years. In the absence of information from Bremmo, replacement batteries of equivalent capacity will cost $600-$1000.

On the eco-friendly note, Li-ion batteries can be recycled, though they are not on a large scale as of yet. But that does soften the impact of the mining techniques used for the more expensive metals.

If the numbers work out for you, let me know how it rides!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
It suffers the problem mentioned above that current battery technology has a short service life. Cars using Li-ion cells are routinely quoted as needing replacements between 5-10 years. In the absence of information from Bremmo, replacement batteries of equivalent capacity will cost $600-$1000.
Better add another zero to your price of the batteries. That OEM style pack will cost at least $6,000. It would be nice to think they could last 4,000 cycles but that might still be optimistic. There is new nano technology coming that will be even lighter and get to the 5,000 cycle mark.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Better add another zero to your price of the batteries. That OEM style pack will cost at least $6,000. It would be nice to think they could last 4,000 cycles but that might still be optimistic. There is new nano technology coming that will be even lighter and get to the 5,000 cycle mark.
You might be right. I just priced enough smaller batteries to add up to the same capacity as what Brammo quotes on their website. No doubt there will be some proprietary charges that hike it up well beyond my initial figure. Where does $6000 come from, though?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Brammo's 100 mph 100 mile range electric motorcycle.
This technology is getting better and quite intriguing !!

Brammo's 100 mph electric motorcycle - Video - Personal Finance

What are your thoughts ??
Not bad looking. Sounds horrible. Balance is going to be absurd. Price is way too high ($16995, $18995 for the 'R').

Would you buy one ??
Not a chance. I don't want to wait even 3h to 'tank up', certainly not after just 100mi. For city dwellers with a good electric infrastructure and no need for long trips before charging, I can see it. For me, not so much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts