Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my CBR, 2012 ABS model. Haven't had tons of time to ride other than around the neighborhood. Only 60 miles on it and it is already showing low oil. Decided to check it today and it is just above the low line after letting it run for 5 minutes and checking it 5 minutes after shutting it off. The level after sitting for a few hours is only between the lines.

Going to the dealer in the morning for some oil and to talk to them about it, but this doesn't seem normal. I know its not broken in yet but that much consumption. When I picked it up it seemed to have decent oil in it as they pointed that out.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Silly question, but you DID sit the bike up level right?? It'll read low on the side stand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, upright. Even held it upright so a buddy could look. Same result, about a line above the low line. Took a few iPhone shots of it to show the dealer, since I am not sure I want to ride it there.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Add a little more to bring up to the full line and keep riding it around. There is not much to add to go from the min to max marks....and you don't really know exactly where the level was when new. Mine was at the min line when I got it home so I added maybe 5 ounces to get to the max line....the min line is min, but still ok.

·
Banned
834 Posts
I thought mine had low oil until I held it upright and it was a full line.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
I know this may sound redundant but were you on level ground. Most people don't notice a grade of 1" per 8' which is the slope in most garage floors but that is enough to change the reading on your oil level.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yep, upright. Even held it upright so a buddy could look. Same result, about a line above the low line. Took a few iPhone shots of it to show the dealer, since I am not sure I want to ride it there.
The window only has 2 lines...the proper level is anywhere in between them. Nobody knows what you're talking about by "decent oil in it" or "a line above the low line". Try to be specific and clear and logical when describing what you think is the problem.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Mine came low from the dealer. Not by a lot, there's less than a half quart of difference between not seeing any oil with the bike leaned a little *towards* the window, and seeing it at the top line when straight up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The window only has 2 lines...the proper level is anywhere in between them. Nobody knows what you're talking about by "decent oil in it" or "a line above the low line". Try to be specific and clear and logical when describing what you think is the problem.

Ok. Again, to be "specific" and "logical". I checked the bike upright in a garage with very little slope. Not on a sloped driveway, not on the stand, not on a hill. This is not my first or only bike, and the level is low compared to the others. I know there are only 2 lines on the window. The oil level after 3-5 minutes of running and 3-5 more minutes of shut down, reads just barely above the low line. A line above the low line means if you took the low line and moved it directly above where it is that is where the oil was, but for all intents and purposes it is on the low line.

I haven't ridden it much at all since getting it so it wasn't on my mind to check the oil since the dealer pointed out the oil window and I remembered seeing a decent level (Between the lines) when they held it upright.

This forum is informative and I was asking had anybody run into low oil quickly on these yet. I have already spoke with the dealer, picked up some oil, and checked as much of the motor as I could see for any leaks from the drain plug or anywhere else. So far no leaks visible at all. The dealers advice is to add a few ounces till back to maximum and drive it and keep an eye on it to see how fast, if at all, it depletes. If it does they are bringing it in to check it out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I notice a difference when my front wheel is turned. I measure mine with the bike upright and the wheel straight. I would change your oil now anyway and that way you get all the initial gunk out and you know what level of oil you put in.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Also when they showed it to you at the dealer it probably hadn't been run or had at least sat for a very long time without being run so their probably wasn't any oil in the filter or filter housing so the level looked good. Then after running it it's holding the oil in the filter and housing like it's supposed to and now you're slightly low. I ALWAYS check the oil level after an oil change AFTER I start it and get oil into the filter and then shut it off and check.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
sorry if i sounded like i was getting after you but there are a lot of new riders on this site and we never know when someone is asking a question with no background in biking or not. there are a lot of variables that the experienced riders understand and others not so much. i would say that there is no problem with your oil level but if it will give you piece of mind put in a couple of ounces and mark the level with a piece of tape, ride the bike for a couple of days and then check the level again with the bike in the same position. the nice thing is that your bike is still under warranty so if the dealer did screw something up, or the bike is burning oil, it's covered.

·
Registered
9 Posts
New motorcycles burn through oil very quickly. Your bike hasn't even been broken in yet, so dont be surprised about this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts