Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so recently I have decided to take the step and fulfill a long time personal goal of getting my very own motorcycle. I have done a ton of research and have narrowed it down between the Ninja 250R (2008+) or the Honda CBR250R. My instincts are leading my more towards the Honda for a very first bike, and I do feel like that is what I will end up getting hopefully around Christmas time.

I have already arranged to take the MSF course next month. I have literally zero riding experience, and I do not drive a manual car. This is sort of like a life time goal I am so excited to finally be able to tackle. I just turned 21, and I think I am responsible enough to take on this goal!

Anyways, I was curious to know a few things as I look into purchasing my first motorcycle:

1) Where is the best place to buy? New or Used? (Craigslist, Online Dealers, Local Cycle Dealerships?)
2) Would you recommend ABS for a first time rider?
3) Slip on Exhaust, Frame Sliders, Fender Eliminator - I would want to get these upgrades ASAP, but not invest too much $$ in upgrading my first bike. Feasible?
4) Getting a first set of gear - Is helmet, gloves, jacket all that is really needed?
5) What are the most reputable places to purchase gear from? (Jacket, Helmet, Gloves, etc.)

And finally, being BRAND NEW to riding (or soon to be) what would you personally say to me as some advice for riding? :)

Thanks, and your words are greatly appreciated!
- Jake

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Alright, so recently I have decided to take the step and fulfill a long time personal goal of getting my very own motorcycle. I have done a ton of research and have narrowed it down between the Ninja 250R (2008+) or the Honda CBR250R. My instincts are leading my more towards the Honda for a very first bike, and I do feel like that is what I will end up getting hopefully around Christmas time.

I have already arranged to take the MSF course next month. I have literally zero riding experience, and I do not drive a manual car. This is sort of like a life time goal I am so excited to finally be able to tackle. I just turned 21, and I think I am responsible enough to take on this goal!

Anyways, I was curious to know a few things as I look into purchasing my first motorcycle:

1) Where is the best place to buy? New or Used? (Craigslist, Online Dealers, Local Cycle Dealerships?)
3) Slip on Exhaust, Frame Sliders, Fender Eliminator - I would want to get these upgrades ASAP, but not invest too much $$ in upgrading my first bike. Feasible?
4) Getting a first set of gear - Is helmet, gloves, jacket all that is really needed?
5) What are the most reputable places to purchase gear from? (Jacket, Helmet, Gloves, etc.)

And finally, being BRAND NEW to riding (or soon to be) what would you personally say to me as some advice for riding? :)

- Jake
Hello and welcome, I'll be brief and you'll get lotsa diff opinions but heres my take from an old fella with about half a million miles in 35 yrs riding & racing~

1)- Used bike
(read the horror stories here of all the folk that have dropped their new pride and joy from dropping it, parking it in the wrong place etc, or inexperience)
from your favourite LBS, you'll need their support.

2)- No this bike has combined braking and you'll devolop bad habits & lazy by using the rear brake far too much ... when you ride a non abs you'll bite the pavement.... hard.

3)- Dont mod your first bike.. use that money for riding gear, lessons, and think about mods if you eventually do trackdays or really need them, by that time you'll be ready to buy what you really want.

4) No you'll need the lot, boots and pants as well.. Fit is important.. see your LBS and try it all on.

5)- again your LBS at least to try it all on, get sizes etc.. only if 100% sure shop online for gear.. its generally non refundable.. and freight on returns soon overides any savings.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

- Jake
Oops.. missed that bit~

'Motorcycling is dangerous, you may be maimed or even killed, EVERYONE is out to get you.'

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
1)Depends on your budget, personally I went with new.

2) Never ridden an abs equipped bike can't comment on that but my non-abs 250 rides fine.

3) I'm not a complete noob, but if I was I'd go with frame sliders and comprehensive coverage with a low deductible, to ease the pain of the cost of possible repairs due to a crash.

4) Maybe a pair of kevlar lined jeans, riding gear is more important than mods.

5) If your local shop is cool and does not overcharge for gear/labor I'd check them out. Online stores have a larger selection, check the return policy first.

Assume the risk than manage it by: MSF, gear up, practice and Enjoy the ride. :D

Congrats on not waiting forever to start riding.
my 2 cents

·
Registered
235 Posts
Jakenbake, I think your best move is to spend a couple of days readng previous posts on those specific topics. Information that you'll find in them will get you up-to-speed quicky.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hello and welcome, I'll be brief and you'll get lotsa diff opinions but heres my take from an old fella with about half a million miles in 35 yrs riding & racing~

2)- No this bike has combined braking and you'll devolop bad habits & lazy by using the rear brake far too much ... when you ride a non abs you'll bite the pavement.... hard.
Jakenbake - the issue of ABS is a controversial topic. Make sure to read through as many postings on this topic as you can so you can make an informed decision - the best decision for yourself.

Ironically, all the new riders I know that have gone down - have gone down for exactly the same reason. They jammed on their brakes too hard making an emergency stop on non-ABS equipped bikes. Both suffered severe collarbone injuries. Keep in mind that this evidence is anecdotal - and the plural of anecdote is not data. So take it for what it's worth. Whether you purchase an ABS equipped bike or non-ABS equipped bike, it is VITAL that you continue to practice, practice, practice emergency braking maneuvers.

Mike

·
1,305 Posts
I have already arranged to take the MSF course next month. I have literally zero riding experience
Awesome, thats a great start.
do yourself a favour, try a couple of different styles of bikes when you are doing your riding lessons, they will have Sport/ Cruisers/ dual sports. Find one that suits/fits you.

1) Personally, i went New. its all nice to have a warrenty to back you.

2) sticky subject, me personally i went without

3) save your money, you may get 1-2 extra HP, but for the money you could better safety gear

4) no, you'll need boots that are suitable for riding.. and some good pants.
when you do go down your knees will thank you.

5)physically go to a store and try gear on first. remember never to buy a second hand helmet and you may need to buy a size up from what you wear.

- Jake
Ride your ride and watch out for little Asian ladies in SUV... we are worth double points for them.

welcome to the site.

·
Registered
386 Posts

- Jake
1) Buying a used bike as a new rider comes with the risk of hidden damage if you don't know what to look for when inspecting a bike. I personally bought mine new for several reasons: warranty coverage, financing, and my brand new CBR was cheaper than all used bikes available in the area at the time i bought my bike.

2) ABS or not is a touchy subject. I bought the non-ABS model because it was cheaper but in hindsight paying another 500 bucks to get ABS is not that big of a deal.

3) Being that you have never rode a bike I can only recommend frame sliders to you because they would help prevent damage to your bike on a slow fall (mostly someone tipping it over while parked). I would recommend you ride whichever bike you get in its stock form and re-visit the mod subject after you have a couple thousand miles worth of riding experience.

4) No, you need Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, Pants, and Boots. Riding motorcycles is significantly more dangerous than driving a car and you want to be as protected as you possibly can (if you value your life).

5) As others have mentioned, fit is important (you don't want gear that's bulky so that it slips off in an accident instead of protecting you but you don't want it to make you numb either) so I would recommend you go to your local bike shop and try gear on to find the size that fits you. Buying from your local bike shop tends to make warranty claims and returns way easier.

Advice: Ride within your skill level. Don't be showing off! Don't cheap out on gear to spend money in cosmetic mods as these mods won't save your life in the event of an accident. Practice as much as possible in parking lots and streets that aren't super busy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

So you are advising for or against ABS on the CBR250R? Sorry I just didn't get what you said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jakenbake, I think your best move is to spend a couple of days readng previous posts on those specific topics. Information that you'll find in them will get you up-to-speed quicky.

Thank you! And yes I have been and will be reading as much as possible on these forums. I just thought I would make a quick post to say a few of my certain concerns, and say hello to all of the existing members! :)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
So you are advising for or against ABS on the CBR250R? Sorry I just didn't get what you said.
I was mainly refering to the dual braking component of ABS model, the rear brake operates one piston of the front caliper, I have it and I love it, but didnt learn on it.

There is plenty of threads on it here.. and its a hard one, and a touchy subject, so sorry if Ive confused you more now lol.

You've had good replies from everyone here. read on. :)

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Abs

WHEN YOU STOP :confused: USE BOTH BRAKES:mad: the front brake will do most of the stopping like 70 % or so :( the rear will help keep the the wheel on the ground and you will stop much better:D

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
When you take the MSF course you will hopefully have the opportunity to ride different bikes, therefore experience different rides. My first bike was a cruiser and soon learned after riding a Ninja 250 I owned the wrong bike. Since then I have owned several different bikes and styles of riding and have settled on the cbr250ra. This is a fun bike that has met the needs of riders of different ages and riding back grounds. If you eventually decide on the cbr I am condfident you will be happy with it. The abs discussion is a controversary with some but you will learn about braking in the MSF course. ABS is a tool and should be appreciated as such, and does not replace good riding skill, defensive riding, and awareness. The choice is up to you in which you choose. I did not learn on an abs bike and frankly it would make little difference to me if I have abs or not. Congrats on this next adventure on reaching this dream of yours. Have fun....ride safe. Keep the shiney side up:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Awesome, thats a great start.
do yourself a favour, try a couple of different styles of bikes when you are doing your riding lessons, they will have Sport/ Cruisers/ dual sports. Find one that suits/fits you.

1) Personally, i went New. its all nice to have a warrenty to back you.

2) sticky subject, me personally i went without

3) save your money, you may get 1-2 extra HP, but for the money you could better safety gear

4) no, you'll need boots that are suitable for riding.. and some good pants.
when you do go down your knees will thank you.

5)physically go to a store and try gear on first. remember never to buy a second hand helmet and you may need to buy a size up from what you wear.

Ride your ride and watch out for little Asian ladies in SUV... we are worth double points for them.

welcome to the site.

Top,

I agree to everything you suggested especially the last comment! I am little and Asian, but I am also worth double points for them too. LOL:)

BTW, I grew up in Fullerton! Most of my family moved to Irvine now, but I love Fullerton and Brea areas. I love it when I can come home to visit. I would love to ride my CBR250R home, but I think my mother will have a heart attack:(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts