Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a brand new rider and just got my 2012/11 CBR250R 650 miles ago.

I did my first oil change yesterday in my garage and everything went great thanks to some helpful threads on this forum.

I'm wondering... At what point is my "break-in" process complete and when can I not worry about fluctuating the rpm's while I ride?

I was told by the dealership and a few others that the worst thing I can do to my bike is keep a constant rpm while I ride for too long (at same rpm for 5mins plus) so to keep a constant speed while I ride I've just been downshifting etc every so often.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
:D:D:D:D:D:D

been redlining her from the parking lot at the dealers

should have seen their faces :eek::eek::eek:
especially the wheelie around the second corner :eek::eek::eek::eek:

from that ^ moment ...... 11 , 0000 rpm every single time i ride.

don't worry about braking periods , she can take it ;)
just focus on driving within your limits and having fun :)

.....but don't take my squiddy word for it :D:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm mostly worried about when I don't have to worry about not keeping a constant RPM for too long.

When can I drive and hold an RPM stable for as long as I want?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'm mostly worried about when I don't have to worry.

When can I drive and hold an RPM stable for as long as I want?
i say A.S.A.P. but the suggested break-in period for this model ... ithink ... is 1000 miles.

longest i held a constant RPM was 45 minutes .... at 10 ,599,99 RPM :eek:
miami and back :cool:

don't "worry" :( ..... be happy :) .... just ride :cool:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
:D:D:D:D:D

btw- think there is like 47 threads on this site about her "break-in" periods. :confused:

....like , once a month ;)

:D:D:D:D

...she's not leaking !? ... is she !? :eek::eek:

^ ok , last one :D:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

btw- think there is like 47 threads on this site about her "break-in" periods. :confused: :D:D
I searched them, After reading a few pages I couldn't find my true question of "how soon can you hold a stable RPM without it doing harm"

So I decided to just post and try and cut to the chase.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
ROFL were you going 100mph for 45mins??? hahahaha
:confused:

ummmm yeah (little kid with attitude voice)......is was more like 96-98 ....hitting 100 a few times with the wind on my back .... but yes.....redlining for a long "period" of time.<(oops):eek:

you never saw the vids !? ... must be new ... welcome to the club buddy :)

:D:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"break in" is 600 miles. Just ride it. I have never "Broken in" an engine in my life and I rebuild engines on a weekly basis. On a 4 stroke it's broken in within a half hour of running. Heat cycles are more important than anything.
Very nice to hear. Thank you.

The guy at the dealer told me his method was 3 cycles of run it hard for 15-20mins then let it cool down to room temp. After 3 sets of doing that he said with all of his bikes he would consider them to be "broke-in". But its always nice to get opinions of actual owners of this specific bike.

I did a few of those and then from there began riding it to work and back, but always made sure to fluctuate the RPMs and not stay a constant for too long.

So looks like I'm done being concerned about the RPM deal and will just ride as I wish to for now on.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've rode mine hard since the day I got it and that's how I've always "broken in" any new engine and I've never had any problems. It's funny because a lot of the guys that baby them are the ones who end up with blow by and everything else. These engines were designed by honda for mainly third world countries so they built them VERY strong (most honda stuff is anyway though).

·
Registered
52 Posts
FYI when I used to race 100cc 2 cycle karts, we would have a break in period of about 10-15 minutes which was around 10 laps the first couple being the tamest and by the end pretty much full on. Dealers do this because 1.) its more money and 2.) a lot of people have NO clue what they're talking about as evidenced by our 11,000rpm friend who doesn't even seem to know the redline on this bike. Anyhow..some bike motors can have valve clearance issues, that can get checked otherwise the only other issue is oil.

When the motor is new it hasn't mated properly yet. So while its figuring out its clearances by literally rubbing together parts ever so slightly, you get small bits of metal and what not and once that first oil change its pretty much rock and roll.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
FYI when I used to race 100cc 2 cycle karts, we would have a break in period of about 10-15 minutes which was around 10 laps the first couple being the tamest and by the end pretty much full on. Dealers do this because 1.) its more money and 2.) a lot of people have NO clue what they're talking about as evidenced by our 11,000rpm friend who doesn't even seem to know the redline on this bike. Anyhow..some bike motors can have valve clearance issues, that can get checked otherwise the only other issue is oil.

When the motor is new it hasn't mated properly yet. So while its figuring out its clearances by literally rubbing together parts ever so slightly, you get small bits of metal and what not and once that first oil change its pretty much rock and roll.
are you sneak dissin* me !? :confused:

FYI-the bike redlines at 10.5 but you can run on 11 ...
... after that the rev limiter kicks in and it feel like a taste of what a taser feels like (if a police stopped you for going any faster);)

FYI#2- GoKarts and MC41's = no the same thing ;)

* = subliminal disrespect towards another person.Saying something about somebody without saying it to them.

btw- :D:D:D Sheddy**

** = Derogatory; Term used to describe the lower grades in a school environment who are often taught building skills instead of intellectual subjects. Derived from the term "Shed Builder".

next time say it to my internet face ..... MarioKart Xspurt :mad:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
There is some incorrect information in posts above...your BRAKE IN is complete at 300 miles..your first service is at 600 miles..think they are getting them confused with each other above.....at 300 miles dont worry about varying rpms or not redlining anymore..all the break in metal that has wore off is trapped in your oil filter now...first service at 600 miles is not set in stone..just get it done somewhere there abouts..i wouldnt go too far past that tho..i had mine done at about 540 miles

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
are you sneak dissin* me !? :confused:

FYI-the bike redlines at 10.5 but you can run on 11 ...
... after that the rev limiter kicks in and it feel like a taste of what a taser feels like (if a police stopped you for going any faster);)

FYI#2- GoKarts and MC41's = no the same thing ;)

* = subliminal disrespect towards another person.Saying something about somebody without saying it to them.

btw- :D:D:D Sheddy**

** = Derogatory; Term used to describe the lower grades in a school environment who are often taught building skills instead of intellectual subjects. Derived from the term "Shed Builder".

next time say it to my internet face ..... MarioKart Xspurt :mad:

LOL

Beware of the blue shell. Gets me every f****** time.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
LOL

Beware of the blue shell. Gets me every f****** time.

Funny thing is ... i always use Yoshi when i play MarioKart and i just realized , my CBR250 also uses Yoshi :)

she'll soon be on the Real Track soon ;)

...but Sh*tty don't want none of me on the "real track" or "MarioKart" ;):D:p

...or gokart track or foot race track or RC racing track or music track ect , ect , ect .................. :eek::cool:

BTW-:D:D:D....just playing Sheddy , ......(except for the racing part);) :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts