Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by the dealer to keep it under 5k till my 600 mile tune up and oil change. Only problem im having with this is my ride to work is 50 mph most of the way and that puts me over 5k. Any advice? Really want to use it as much as possible for work.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm not sure they are giving you the best advice, follow what is said in the manual and use your best judgement.

At 150 miles I decided to get on the highway. There was a lot of traffic and, well, the rest is history...

·
Registered
400 Posts
my dealer told me 6k,which in 6th gear should be at 55mph on the speedometer. 7k 65mph(freeway) but to be safe(from merging traffic) maybe in the carpool lane u might have to go faster.

when i was shifting i was worried because of the 6k rpm thing..

·
Registered
119 Posts
i believe the manual says the usual, no overly hard redline acceleration, no really hard breaking, and drive conservatively. My dealer said take the bike through its full range, high revs with low gear, low revs with high gear, everything. Vary your speed, but don't worry about keeping under a certain rpm. This concurs with the manual, and this is what i'm doing. Why is this topic so controversial?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
i believe the manual says the usual, no overly hard redline acceleration, no really hard breaking, and drive conservatively. My dealer said take the bike through its full range, high revs with low gear, low revs with high gear, everything. Vary your speed, but don't worry about keeping under a certain rpm. This concurs with the manual, and this is what i'm doing. Why is this topic so controversial?
I think some people like the macho feeling of saying "I broke mine hard."

Whoops.... that could be a bit controversial.

With modern manufacturing and modern materials running in an engine is not the big deal it once was. However, it makes sense to take it a bit easy for the first "shakedown" miles. Note any potential problems. Get everything checked and adjusted at the first service.

Then go for it; cruise on out, or give it death.

Its your bike, your choice.

Enjoy

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
i believe the manual says the usual, no overly hard redline acceleration, no really hard breaking, and drive conservatively. My dealer said take the bike through its full range, high revs with low gear, low revs with high gear, everything. Vary your speed, but don't worry about keeping under a certain rpm. This concurs with the manual, and this is what i'm doing.
+1.

Why is this topic so controversial?
People still think it's the 1950s? :confused:

By the way, what definitely shouldn't be done is keeping it sit at a single RPM very early on. Can't imagine keeping it under say 5000rpm for sustained periods seats the rings very well, and is likely to cause cylinder wall glazing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was gentle the first tank... about 200 miles (3 days worth of riding)...

Then I opened her up. redlining 1-5th gears... Still haven't gone past 85mph

1 - 10 of 10 Posts