Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the other week, my glass on my speed odometer was crack, 3 lines running from the bottom up. I don't know how it happen but has any one else had a issue with that?

I thought about taking it to have it replaced under my ext warranty but I imagine unless this is a known issue, then I wont have a chance of them fixing it

I've done nothing I know of that would had caused it to crack. Unless someone walk by and threw a rock at it or something , or something in my garage fell and hit it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pictures? Just curious...
as far as pics, none this moment to show, next time I walk down to my garage, I will take a pic, but It's nothing so bad i want to scream over it and that is a good point about a rock but I hadn't driven it yet this summer and the last time I did driver it, I clean it after words and never noticed it before I park it for winter. I honestly don't drive it much. it's only got 4800 miles on it , most the miles I put on it the first summer I had it in 2012...

I just don't get out much with working from 6 am till 5 pm then by the time I am home I am worn out and still need to exercise , so it hasn't seem much ride time since after the first summer I own it in 2012.

·
1,305 Posts
the plastic shouldn't crack on its own, even with a super quick dramatic heat change this type of material wouldn't expand and contract like that.

any chance someone pushed on it?

I'd also like to see a picture of it, when you have time of course.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A picture of it. It has more small cracks like this on the other side of the glass too. I just couldn't get a good pic of all the cracks cause of the sun, so I had to get up close to one of the cracks. there are about 5 spaced out all around the glass area's

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Could it have been exposed to freezing water during winter?
That is what I was thinking. I going to take it to the dealer, the dealer is easy to work with. if they say no, well then oh well. I paid for that ext warranty lol , might as well try to use it ....I was just hoping if I found others here with the same problem then I could say hey look at this site, but since no one else is having this problem, I guess it could had been any thing, still I am going try to get it fixed under the warranty !

All they can do is say no it is not cover and I'll live lol

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wow man it looks like quite a bit of tiny rock chips TBH. Ive been pelted with pebbles from trucks driving over em and spitting em at me but I don't believe any hit the display or made noticeable damage in my helmet. It doesn't look stressed induced.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
That is what I was thinking. I going to take it to the dealer, the dealer is easy to work with. if they say no, well then oh well. I paid for that ext warranty lol , might as well try to use it ....I was just hoping if I found others here with the same problem then I could say hey look at this site, but since no one else is having this problem, I guess it could had been any thing, still I am going try to get it fixed under the warranty !

All they can do is say no it is not cover and I'll live lol
Does your extended warranty have a deductible amount? I ask because that top lens case for the speedo is only about $47. I've seen that some extended warranties can have deductibles amounts as much as $200 per claim.

In my earlier post, when I said that I doubt it would be covered under warranty, I was basing that opinion on the fact that it obviously had to have been somehow physically damaged... as such, it wouldn't be warrantable any more than a dented fuel tank, or a torn seat cover, or a cracked windshield would be. Warranties never cover physical damage (unless a covered defective part directly caused a crash, thereby causing subsequent physical damages... but that's not what we're talking about here).

Now if it were a situation where let's say every owner of a CBR250R had a cracked speedo upper case lens, then it certainly would be a legitimate warranty issue of defective parts that found their way into production.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Now if it were a situation where let's say every owner of a CBR250R had a cracked speedo upper case lens, then it certainly would be a legitimate warranty issue of defective parts that found their way into production.
I have a small crack in the center of my tachometer. I think it was put there by the guy who assembled my bike. Nothing as bad as the OP's. It doesn't seem to be propagating or leaking but the plastic will be replaced eventually.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Does your extended warranty have a deductible amount? I ask because that top lens case for the speedo is only about $47. I've seen that some extended warranties can have deductibles amounts as much as $200 per claim.

In my earlier post, when I said that I doubt it would be covered under warranty, I was basing that opinion on the fact that it obviously had to have been somehow physically damaged... as such, it wouldn't be warrantable any more than a dented fuel tank, or a torn seat cover, or a cracked windshield would be. Warranties never cover physical damage (unless a covered defective part directly caused a crash, thereby causing subsequent physical damages... but that's not what we're talking about here).

I Don't believe I do have a deductible, yes the lens might be 47 dollars but the labor will be more then 200 at most honda dealers .

I don't know how the cracks got there, like I said, all they can do is say no it is not covered. My dealer is pretty good about just doing stuff. The back seat tail light cover was broke, the snap broke off and one could say that was human error but they fixed that under the warranty ..

Yes that is why I open this thread to see if other riders had the same problems, as I know no rock hit it cause I always clean it( wipe it down after each ride ) and the last ride I took I clean it and would had noticed it. I dont ride much at all though, it has been park in the garage all winter and I noticed the cracks when cleaning the dust off the bike when I went to put my new seat cowl on.

so I know there was no rock or human error that cause these cracks. their all around the lens , but if they wont cover it, ok life will go on !

It might had been the cold weather we got on the east coast with snow all winter and the fact I park my bike in a garage with no heat, i think the lens cracked from the cold weather cause again I know there was no crack on the lens the last time I rode it and my garage is big, nothing is above the bike to fall on it.

My motorcycle helmet also is fine, no cracks in the lens on it , so if a rock bounce off my helmet lens and hit the bike lens then i would see a crack on the helmet lens ..

also, if a pebble did hit it which I know it didnt, then should Honda make a lens so weak it cant with stand a pebble hitting it ? Also if a rock pepble cause that cracxk then I would image other would have had the same issues as well.. Oh well haha I know you mean well so dont take my rant in the wrong way

·
Registered
1 Posts
Who am I kidding literally 10 years later I'm facing the same issue with my Honda cb350, speedo glass cracked all of a sudden ,no case of vandalism, bike was parked on a closed parking spot covered with waterproof covering

1 - 15 of 15 Posts