Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my initial service I had the dealer put in amsoil motorcycle 10w-30 full synth. 2000 miles later it looks muddy brown and is not as translucent. Should oil discolor this fast?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Not sure about that, but this motor will be hard on oil because of the RPMs it turnes going down the road This little motor is working hard all the time and it only holds less than 2 guarts of oil. I plan on changing my oil much more than the owners manual suggest. If it looks that bad get it out of there and put in new. I will be switching to amzoil full syn on my next oil change. Have to keep an eye on I to see if I have the same issue

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
This is just the oil doing its job holding particles in suspension.
Wait till 12,000km.... it will be like black water... but still warranted like all the other bulletproof Hondas engines in existence.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sorry but an small engine turning higher RPMs will be harder on oil. Its a fact my friend and I did not say the color of his oil was bad. I stated I wasnt sure about that. It holds less than 2 guarts of oil so I suggested to just change it. Cheap and peace of mind

·
745 Posts
Higher-revving engines are harder on oil. They often use oil to cool parts of the engine that difficult to cool. The color of the oil can be affected by excessive heat, moisture, type of fuel, engine issues, or contamination. However, changing it just because it doesn't look like new oil is usually not a good reason (unless it's white, which indicates water contamination and points to engine problems)

Rhetoric has not been proven to affect the color of oil in any way and should not be used to dictate oil changes.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Higher-revving engines are harder on oil. They often use oil to cool parts of the engine that difficult to cool. The color of the oil can be affected by excessive heat, moisture, type of fuel, engine issues, or contamination. However, changing it just because it doesn't look like new oil is usually not a good reason (unless it's white, which indicates water contamination and points to engine problems)

Rhetoric has not been proven to affect the color of oil in any way and should not be used to dictate oil changes.
Well said and thanks for your imput.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also keep in mind that the first few thousand miles, the engine is still breaking in. As your engine breaks in (especially, but even after) there will be some blow-by (combustion gases going past the rings and into crankcase). This is also part of the reason for oil discoloration. And very small particles of various metals are flaking off into your oil, which is shared by the engine and transmission. This is the reason why the first service is so important. To get the larger bits out of your engine before they can manage to damage anything.
Your best bet is to follow the service guidelines. They are designed to allow a large margin of safety for your engine (in other words, if you can't get the oil changed for a few extra hundred miles it will be ok, but don't overdo it).
On a different note, I would highly recommend marking your spark plugs (etc, that is mentioned in maintenance schedule, to ensure that your mechanic actually does the required work that you are paying for. As a motorcycle mechanic, who pays attention to such things and also hears stories from fellow riders, I am sorry to say (like people are not aware of this) that there are shady shops and individuals out there.

Chad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts