Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Half 30-40 mph, half 70mph. Imperial, not US mpg. It works out at 68 US mpg approx. I just ride normally, at the speed of other traffic, and give it a bit of stick when I can. I don't ride for economy, I ride for pleasure. ;)
Thanks. I'm going to have to check mine, seems as we have similar riding habits only we ride on the proper side of the road of course. We use Imperial here as well in the colonies. Regards.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Look. The new riders are getting the wrong impression when peaple tell them to go practice learning the friction zone. There have been at least two or three new riders here already that have fried the clutch in their brand new bike because they were told to go to a parking lot since they aren't skilled enough to ride on the road yet, and practice slipping the clutch endlessly for the whole session. You will fry your clutch. It needs to cool down between uses by being completely engaged while you are riding around some, or completely disengaged just sitting there if that is all you can do.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to have to check mine, seems as we have similar riding habits only we ride on the proper side of the road of course. We use Imperial here as well in the colonies. Regards.
Ah, sorry, I assumed you were American, as the majority of this forum are (or so we keep being told ;)). Note to self. I must look to the left before replying to posts. :D

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Look. The new riders are getting the wrong impression when peaple tell them to go practice learning the friction zone. There have been at least two or three new riders here already that have fried the clutch in their brand new bike because they were told to go to a parking lot since they aren't skilled enough to ride on the road yet, and practice slipping the clutch endlessly for the whole session. You will fry your clutch. It needs to cool down between uses by being completely engaged while you are riding around some, or completely disengaged just sitting there if that is all you can do.
It's probably just hot motorcycle (ie road crap or cleaning stuff burning off exhaust, radiator etc.) probably nothing to worry about. All hot bikes smell of something or other. ;)

·
Registered
878 Posts

Okay, I'll continue doing what I do and get long clutch life as I always have. The good thing about the internet is people can read and form their own opinions, we don't have to agree.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Proper use of the friction zone will not fry a clutch, if it did I would have had to replace hundreds if not thousands and telling people it will is wrong. Any decent riding school teaches you to use the friction zone, there's a reason for it. Abusing a clutch is entirely a different matter. Keep telling people whatever you wish, there's already tons on misinformation on this forum.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I'll add to that... Endlessly slipping, or riding the friction zone, or whatever else you want to call it... is MISUSE. And if you think that for one minute Honda will warranty burned friction plates, you are in for a dose of harsh reality. It's your clutch, do what you see fit with it. Just be prepared to pay out of your own pocket, for a bad choice.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Proper is the key word. Normal use is another good way of saying it. But you want to give the impression that a wet clutch is indestructible.
So a warning to all the new riders that don't know any better, misuse of your clutch will fry it.
The end.
Jeeez, it's over when you say "the end"????

"But you want to give the impression that a wet clutch is indestructible."

Where did I say that? I said proper use of the friction zone will not harm a clutch and I have the bikes to prove it. I gave an example of when I and others rode in the friction zone all day with no ill effects. Any decent rider uses the friction zone in the appropriate manner, that's how a bike is meant to be used. THAT'S NOT ABUSE!!!

Of course an abused clutch won't be replaced by Honda, nor will any other abused part, why should it be? Riding a bike in the friction zone for two seconds will not fry a clutch, that's a lie.

Now it's over.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine had a pretty strong burning smell the first few times I rode it. The smell has decreased in potency quite a bit now but there is still some smell. I just chalked it up to the newness.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Mine had a pretty strong burning smell the first few times I rode it. The smell has decreased in potency quite a bit now but there is still some smell. I just chalked it up to the newness.
Likely just the engine and exhaust paint getting it's final bake. Gotta love that new bike smell.:D

·
Registered
878 Posts
Actually I would consider slipping the clutch, in the traditional sense, abuse and not the same as using the friction zone.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts