Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well... been through a few forums on this clutch topic, and there seems to be a common consensus: nothing wrong with slipping/feathering the clutch on slow speed maneuvers/turns in lower gear (which is is not exactly the majority of anyone's riding), otherwise just engage it for shifting... which is basically what MSF has taught...

I guess if you subscribe to this, using a higher viscosity oil (synthetic) wouldn't hurt...

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Actually I would consider slipping the clutch, in the traditional sense, abuse and not the same as using the friction zone.
Whatever dude. Now you are back pedaling.
I remembered one more example posted here that I wanted to cite before concluding my input on the topic of why instructor types should be more careful what they say about practicing slipping the clutch over and over again for too much time and never mentioning the possibility of heat build up. Most average people are completely mechanically naive. I see this everyday at work. Doctors that don't know how to open their hood.
I don't hold it against this guy and hope he doesn't think I am picking on him but it just shows that many new riders don't know any better unless someone teaches them how a bike works.
http://www.cbr250.net/forum/48497-post516.html
"Hi all: my first post here as well. I have had this same problem since before I reached the 1k service. I brought it in to Peter Stevens where I bought the bike (Melbourne CBD) and was told they couldn't replicate the problem. Riding home it happened to me the same day a couple times. Since its my first bike I accepted their view, operator error. So, I kept riding and it got worse so I brought it back again after 4k and got the same response. The advice I got, make sure to keep the revs up. So, I then start riding making sure that in any given gear I have at least 5 and preferably 7k and stop coasting pretty much altogether. Still the bike kept stalling and finally I brought it in
and apparently I've now since cooked the clutch and according to them, this is all my fault. No mention of any kind of possible manufacturer problem has been brought up at all. So now I'm going to have to eat a $700 clutch replacement
which, I imagine, is still not going to fix the problem. Does anyone have contact details of a Honda rep who has at least acknowledged a problem exists? I'm supposed to pick the bike up on Saturday and if this is due to my poor riding because of bad advice then I'm really pretty upset about it. This forum is now 52 pp long with large numbers of people reporting the same issue. They've got to acknowledge this at some stage."

·
Registered
540 Posts
The heat buildup is a real concern that does need addressing. None of the MSF materials touch on this, neither did my instructor when I took the BRC.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Well... been through a few forums on this clutch topic, and there seems to be a common consensus: nothing wrong with slipping/feathering the clutch on slow speed maneuvers/turns in lower gear (which is is not exactly the majority of anyone's riding), otherwise just engage it for shifting... which is basically what MSF has taught...

I guess if you subscribe to this, using a higher viscosity oil (synthetic) wouldn't hurt...
That is true for normal riding. The problem comes in when you are practicing in a parking lot just feathering the clutch over, and over, and over again without rest. All of the engine power that is slipping in the clutch is being turned into heat just like if you rub your hands together as fast and hard as you can. Eventually your skin will burn. Now multiply the speed times 100 and you get an idea of what your clutch is going through when it is slipping in the friction zone.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I remembered one more example posted here that I wanted to cite before concluding my input on the topic of why instructor types should be more careful what they say about practicing slipping the clutch over and over again for too much time and never mentioning the possibility of heat build up. Most average people are completely mechanically naive. I see this everyday at work. Doctors that don't know how to open their hood.
I don't hold it against this guy and hope he doesn't think I am picking on him but it just shows that many new riders don't know any better unless someone teaches them how a bike works.
"Hi all: my first post here as well. I have had this same problem since before I reached the 1k service. I brought it in to Peter Stevens where I bought the bike (Melbourne CBD) and was told they couldn't replicate the problem. Riding home it happened to me the same day a couple times. Since its my first bike I accepted their view, operator error. So, I kept riding and it got worse so I brought it back again after 4k and got the same response. The advice I got, make sure to keep the revs up. So, I then start riding making sure that in any given gear I have at least 5 and preferably 7k and stop coasting pretty much altogether. Still the bike kept stalling and finally I brought it in
and apparently I've now since cooked the clutch and according to them, this is all my fault. No mention of any kind of possible manufacturer problem has been brought up at all. So now I'm going to have to eat a $700 clutch replacement
which, I imagine, is still not going to fix the problem. Does anyone have contact details of a Honda rep who has at least acknowledged a problem exists? I'm supposed to pick the bike up on Saturday and if this is due to my poor riding because of bad advice then I'm really pretty upset about it. This forum is now 52 pp long with large numbers of people reporting the same issue. They've got to acknowledge this at some stage."
People are pretty f'ing clueless about a lot of things.:|

Don't even get me started about what I see at work(I'm a systems administrator. People use computers all the time but can't even understand that not plugging a power cable in will make their laptop batteries die)

A clutch is too complicated for plenty of people.o_O

·
Super Moderator
6,936 Posts
It's probably just hot motorcycle (ie road crap or cleaning stuff burning off exhaust, radiator etc.) probably nothing to worry about. All hot bikes smell of something or other. ;)
When I got home from my ride up into the Pecos Canyon today, I noticed my bike smelled like a burnt chalupa. I checked the bike over, and sure enough there it was... I must have dripped some pico de gallo from the burrito I had for lunch onto the exhaust. No wonder the locals were waving as I rode through the town of Pecos... They must have thought I had burritos for sale. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Below is a picture of a situation where the little bike needed to have the clutch slipped intermittently all the way up this hill. Instead I changed the 39 tooth sprocket to a 48 tooth sprocket at the first chain and drive sprocket replacement. No more need to slip the clutch on that hill.

·
Super Moderator
6,936 Posts
I've found that most Dual Sport bikes are geared fairly tall, more for street use. I've gone to lower gearing on most of the D/S bikes that I've owned... second gear becomes much more usable for gnarly trail work. First gear for pulling stumps and dragging downed logs off the trail.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm not going to flog a dead horse, anyone who has read my posts will understand what I'm saying, there's no back peddling, they can agree or not. I've ridden this way for years and never had to buy a clutch, people can do whatever they want. Anyone who believes they will fry a clutch in two seconds by using the friction zone is pretty gullible and that would include you.

You're above example has no bearing on our discussion.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i got a burning pungent smell of crackers,filling from a petrol station out of town.
I changed all the fuel to my dad's activa-honda gearless and filled mine up from a different pump. It worked. No smell eversince.

And the bike had a heaten up iron smell till first 500kms,especialy when fan runs.now no smell-2100kms only heat

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I'm not going to flog a dead horse, anyone who has read my posts will understand what I'm saying, there's no back peddling, they can agree or not. I've ridden this way for years and never had to buy a clutch, people can do whatever they want. Anyone who believes they will fry a clutch in two seconds by using the friction zone is pretty gullible and that would include you.

You're above example has no bearing on our discussion.
The horse won't die. It keeps getting up. And changing it's story. And now it has resorted to calling people names. Problem is, you weren't telling people to slip the clutch for two seconds. You were condoning an hour long parking lot session of learning how to find the friction zone. Which the guy in the first example I posted did. Which fried his clutch. In the third link I quoted, the person was told by the dealer to ride the throttle all the time to keep the bike from stalling. And keep the revs up, between 5-7,000 rpm. Which he did by slipping the clutch. Which fried his clutch. I hope from now on in your instruction you will include a brief mention of how the clutch works by generating heat and warn your students so they won't ruin their brand new bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Oh wow, i'm really surprised at the heated discussions on this topic! Thanks everyone for their advice, I guess everyone has had different experiences and it's all down to how u ride.

I've stalled my bike a number of times (being a noob) but I highly doubt that I've burnt my clutch as I don't feel like it's slipping even under hard acceleration.

Come to a think of it, most of the smell comes from the front of bike (i.e. the radiator), and during my last slow speed practice, I noticed that the fan came on for the first time when I've only been doing low speed riding.

I guess I'll keep riding it for a while before I decide whether it's a real problem or not. :D

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I had this same thing happen. I smelt it at a stoplight on the way to school, and I thought I might have an oil leak and it was burning off on my header. I got paranoid and pulled over, inspected everything, and saw nothing. I think it's just the bike's smell. Like every woman, they all have a unique twang... ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I stalled my bike yesterday, first time that's happened in a long time haha. Sitting at a set of lights on a 5-way intersection, miscalculated when my set of lights were going green and I shifted down to 1st, then kicked it too hard up to 2nd and let the clutch out = stall :\

41 - 59 of 59 Posts