Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my bike for about 6 wks or so, just recently got over the 100 mile mark. From day one I have noticed a burning smell when I get off the bike after having ridden it. I have not noticed any problems with the bike, no leaking fluids no smoke, everything working appropriately. Is it just a new bike thing is it normal for motorcycle or is something wrong that needs to be checked out?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You should feel lucky. My bike smelled like curry when I first rode off with it. I love curry, but can't stand the smell of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I noticed this too Pogo, and I attributed it to the exhaust and whatever material it's made of (on the inside) being new and being heated up by the engine/exaust when running. I'm not sure if this is the correct diagnosis, but that's what I rationalized. (My guess, not fact)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Does it make any noise when you start it?

lol

But yea you should be fine.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Make sure you're not riding the rear brake, which would give you that cat piss smell if you're burning the pads and blacken the rotor. Other than that, you'll get a smell from the hot pipe as paint and oil, etc burn off. And as road splash and crud gets on the pipe, you'll smell that too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Catalytic converter.

I noticed the CBR250 has a pronounced cat smell. Every manufacturer is different in this regard (on cars, I find GM cats smell terrible for instance).

It's there for the same reason the fart smell is in propane and the other weird smell in natural gas - to alert you that you are breathing Not Good things and maybe you should go elsewhere.

If I go out for a ride I always, always get a big whiff of this. I've grown to like it, personally. Smells like victory!

·
Registered
162 Posts
New bike smell! No worries the smell will minimize over time, I just hit 900 miles on bike and after a ride when I pull in the garage I still smell it but not as much as when I first got the bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
as someone already stated, I believe it to be the rear brake.

when I use the rea to do slow speed manuvers, that burn smell is much worse.

when i just use the front to pull in the garage, you can barely smell it.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's just factory coatings, packing grease, and part break in. The new plastics smell a little funny when exposed to engine heat for the first time. The radiator I believe also has a coat of packing grease. All this burns off withing a few hundred miles, and will just smell funny for a while until it disappears. Don't worry, mine did it too. Now I smell nothing except myself after a hot sweaty day of riding.:D

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
as someone already stated, I believe it to be the rear brake.

when I use the rea to do slow speed manuvers, that burn smell is much worse.

when i just use the front to pull in the garage, you can barely smell it.

hope that helps.
Yeah, I agree with api-cbr250r because tonight after I got back from my ride in the wet there was a definite and more acute burn smell coming from the bike. I say this because the focus of the ride was to use gradual rear braking in the wet. The bike has only done 120km its first week or two so now I'm bit puzzled as there seems to be several root causes that would explain this based on earlier comments in this thread.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have had my bike for about 6 wks or so, just recently got over the 100 mile mark.
I dont know abt the smelling part of thread.....
but 6 WEEKS and JUST OVER 100 MILES.... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've noticed the smell. I'm nearing 600 miles on my bike. It just smells like a hot engine, with a hint of burning. Obviously only notice it when turning it off or sitting at a light. It will be nice for it to go away as the bike gets better broken in. I didn't think too much about it because it's new and I know it gets hot.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Welcome to the exciting world of motorcycling!

Just imagine, if you'd bought a used bike instead, you would have never been able to revel in the glory of the new bike smell.

Nothing unusual here, ride it more and enjoy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts